Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744459 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19710 on: August 30, 2015, 10:37:53 am »

What about dinosaur mecha Nazis from Earth core?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19711 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:28 am »

That's a good band name.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19712 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:58 am »

Diverting Eurocrap discussion from the Progressive Thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Spoilered.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19713 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:43 am »

or you can not be a scrub and invest in technology instead of importing people

i mean okay, sure, pretty much every european society to date derives from what the romans made but it's not an excuse to take "but guuuuuuuuys we need humans to do jobs" and repeat it hoping it'll become true the 1488th time you say it

right now you're just perpetuating the status quo and disparaging against delicious kraut

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19714 on: August 30, 2015, 11:44:15 am »

Investing in technology is not enough, you also need to invest in infrastructure. USA didn't remember that and now their countryside is slowly imploding.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19715 on: August 30, 2015, 11:46:56 am »

pretty much the only places that are seriously struggling with infra are these where the existing parts are being rekt by forces that do not exist

and maybe moldova

tell me more about imploding american countryside though, anything that involves the americans getting rekt is in my interest

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19716 on: August 30, 2015, 11:47:06 am »

Here's an idea: How about we distribute the refugees evenly between all EU countries, in proportion to land area and population? Someone already suggested that, but it was instantly shot down by politicians? Damn.[/spoiler]

And how, precisely, would you propose administering that? Despite the fact that it would be nigh impossible to organise that amount of people and have them transported to the appropriate place, the immigrants would always want to go somewhere else and do their damndest to get there. Look at Calais - they could all settle in France, but they won't. They want juicier fruit - so will everyone else. When they are spread, they will inevitably start going to where they would have gone anyway.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19717 on: August 30, 2015, 11:51:08 am »

Well, there was a plan put forward by the commission, but it was shot down. It's not realy hard, really, a small portion of refugees do want to go to a specific place (usually because they already know people there), but the vast majority of refugees just want a peaceful place to rebuild their lives.

Now, in more serious news, Ergogan, after dicking around for a while (including using his post as nominally neutral president to stop the CHP from even trying to form a government) has announced new elections in Turkey, after restarting war the the PKK, quite transparently trying to scare people into voting for his AKP.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19718 on: August 30, 2015, 11:52:43 am »

never really got how starting a war gets people to vote for you

"hey guys we're getting our citizens killed, we're totally responsible for this, now give us your votes we'll kill more of our citizens with them"

tch

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19719 on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:19 am »

'Ze outer space vould not provide us vith ze Lebensraum, so ve turned to ze inner space of our Aryan souls and set out to conquer ze lands vithin.'
That's how Hippie Space Nazis came to be.
And then the space nazi realized he could not be the master race if he was not master of himself

Diverting Eurocrap discussion from the Progressive Thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunate that Finns being grim is with rose tinted glasses! Bit about kraut or falafel got my laughing. Also in regards to supplementing an aging population, weigh that up against the increased costs in infrastructure - smaller populations are actually able to enjoy the fruits of their forebears and I think countries like Japan or countries in Europe should embrace decreasing populations not try to expand them. Automation and increased welfare over an increased population and deficit? On numbers, I don't like it, and when it comes to social consequences I'm even more cautious as if you have too large a foreign population with larger birthrates and no assimilation you're going to start seeing the crap going on in European cities right now. Don't even know what blood libel is, but crime rates are real and so is extremism. In relation to that, the idea that refugees be evenly distributed to all EU countries in proportion to land area and population? I'd say no to it. For one not all land is of equal value and for seconds how it is decided to distribute refugees will no doubt be in Germany and Sweden's favour; Britain's already got twice as many refugees as Sweden, they can deal with theirs whilst we'll protect ours. And unless they "fairly redistribute" their refugees to ROI or UK there's nothing stopping them just making their way back to Sweden or Germany.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19720 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

Investing in technology is not enough, you also need to invest in infrastructure. USA didn't remember that and now their countryside is slowly imploding.

Public spending—spending by federal, state, and local governments—on transportation and water infrastructure totaled $416 billion in 2014. Most of that spending came from state and local governments: They provided $320 billion, and the federal government accounted for $96 billion.

The US spends about an Austria in infrastructure; i.e. all the money Austria spends on everything is matched by just US government spending on infrastructure.  Granted, this should probably be higher.  We could afford to spend at least a Poland on infrastructure.  Underspending on infrastructure probably costs us somewhere between an Albania and an Estonia in just wear and tear on cars alone.  I for one think we need to be spending at least another Serbia on upgrading the electric grid and subsidizing green energy.  I even think that there are probably entire Belgiums worth of gains we could make by reducing all the lost time from inefficient routes preventing work and time lost in traffic, etc.  But this is all a matter of the US not spending enough given it's resources, not that the US isn't spending a lot in absolute terms.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:05:35 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19721 on: August 30, 2015, 12:07:15 pm »

"hey guys we're getting our citizens killed, we're totally responsible for this, now give us your votes we'll kill more of our citizens with them"

tch
It totally works if you say that they would've attacked you anyways, and your attack was "a pre-emptive self-defence", or you say that they attacked first. To be fair, PKK did technically attack first... in response to a blatantly targeted waves of arrests of PKK members.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19722 on: August 30, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »

tch
It totally works if you say that they would've attacked you anyways, and your attack was "a pre-emptive self-defence", or you say that they attacked first. To be fair, PKK did technically attack first... in response to a blatantly targeted waves of arrests of PKK members.
There's a saying isn't there, when in doubt, we're under attack?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19723 on: August 30, 2015, 12:13:10 pm »

Also in regards to supplementing an aging population, weigh that up against the increased costs in infrastructure - smaller populations are actually able to enjoy the fruits of their forebears and I think countries like Japan or countries in Europe should embrace decreasing populations not try to expand them.
It's been a while since I've heard someone handwave the pensioner-bomb away. Do you reckon that with, say, ten pensioners per one working-age person, we'd all be mooching off the fruits of our forebears like those figleaf fuckers in Eden? Because futuretech and nanosanta and whatnot? I agree that the world as a whole would be better-off with slightly less people, but I'm talking about redistributing the current population, not increasing or decreasing it.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19724 on: August 30, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »

Also in regards to supplementing an aging population, weigh that up against the increased costs in infrastructure - smaller populations are actually able to enjoy the fruits of their forebears and I think countries like Japan or countries in Europe should embrace decreasing populations not try to expand them.
It's been a while since I've heard someone handwave the pensioner-bomb away. Do you reckon that with, say, ten pensioners per one working-age person, we'd all be mooching off the fruits of our forebears like those figleaf fuckers in Eden? Because futuretech and nanosanta and whatnot? I agree that the world as a whole would be better-off with slightly less people, but I'm talking about redistributing the current population, not increasing or decreasing it.

Being a small nation we could perhaps send them all the rest of them too to Portugal and get away with it unnoticed?
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 1393