Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743432 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18735 on: July 19, 2015, 08:15:28 pm »

Devaluation is a dirty, dirty word, obviously, but there's no denying that overly expensive € is hurting Finnish exports like a bastard.

Which is bewildering to me.  There is a time for all things and there is a time for devaluation.  50% of the time in fact.  The other 50% of the time being the time for currency appreciation.  I would think this would seem rather intuitive to anyone who stops to think about it, currencies must go up or down as the balance needs.  Yet the default assumption seems to be Lake Woebegone: all the currencies need to be above average all the time, just like the kids.

Funny, around here the old saying about the Euro being Versailles minus the War is gaining popularity again...

Funny how true things eventually get noticed.

Well actually it's not true.  The Euro is far worse then Versailles.  Under the Versailles treaty, huge amounts of capital flowed into Germany after a few years.  The Euro has imposed pro-cyclical capital flows, a negative outcome that we didn't even think was possible a few short years ago.  So it's more of a Carthaginian peace, where you put them in bondage and take away their livelihood.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18736 on: July 20, 2015, 12:42:32 am »

By the way, do you guys even realize how stuff like
It's from the start been about one thing: Political unification of Europe under one Euro, one Nation and one Reich.
or all the Nazi comparisons from the Greek governments sound in German ears? It's kinda like mocking an alcoholic, telling them they must've been drinking for them to behave like they do, even though they've been dry for seventy years. It kinda makes you wave your right to appeal to 'European solidarity'. And I say that as the probably most rabid EU integrationist around here.

Well, killing a few dozen millions people and destroying third of Europe does leave an impression, you see? Should have thought about that before, Germany.

Also, European solidarity doesn't seem to be a thing, so yeah.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18737 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:52 am »

for a couple dozen pages at least the persons who were the most against european solidarity were americans, which is very representative of the union at large apparently

go figure

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18738 on: July 20, 2015, 04:32:53 am »

There is a time for all things and there is a time for devaluation.  50% of the time in fact.  The other 50% of the time being the time for currency appreciation.
I know, I know, but the concept has still acquired an almost taboo-word status in Finnish econopolitics discussion since the nineties, especially when it's unexpected emergency devaluation. In the everything-but-Soviet Republic of Finnistan, the 80s were an overheated period of deregulation and speculative investment, and for some inexplicable reason the politicians decided that this sudden experiment in neoliberalism had to be backed by a rock-solid pegged currency. It so happened that the purchasing power of citizens rose far above the actual domestic product, resulting in a Yuppie Orgy, and when the bubble was about to burst, the finance minister made a solemn oath to not devaluate the magical currency, with the government opting for wage cuts instead. The devaluation had to be done eventually, of course, and as a result people lost their wages and their savings, which created a public backlash comparable to the Greeks' outrage at their politicians. The 90s recession has some uncanny similarities with our current situation in Finland, as well as with Greece, but pointing that out is hugely impolite to the inhabitants of Lake Wobegone.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18739 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:50 am »

I'm not sure what you're referring to by Lake Wobegone in this case.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18740 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:40 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Quote from: Garrison Keillor
Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:02:43 am by SirQuiamus »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18741 on: July 20, 2015, 05:10:38 am »

I'm not sure what you're referring to by Lake Wobegone in this case.

where "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average,"

It is not possible for all the children to be above average.  The above average need to be balanced out by the below average.  Likewise it's not possible for all countries to have their trade position strengthen.  The appreciation needs to be balanced out by depreciation somewhere else.

Germany, with the most overvalued currency in the world is insisting that they are going to drag all of Europe into an economic suicide cult as they over value the currency even more.  Because five years of literally the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression has given them nothing but an attitude for more.  And dont reply with Greece, Greece is just the outlier case.  This is about Spain, Italy, the Baltics, Ireland, every other country in the Euro.  Any sane discussion needs to start with how Germany is going to reduce it's trade surplus.  Instead you are discussing things that will pump it up!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18742 on: July 20, 2015, 05:11:52 am »

It's easily possible for all the people in a small town to be above the national average. Which is what this ficticious town believes.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18743 on: July 20, 2015, 05:13:05 am »

It's easily possible for all the people in a small town to be above the national average. Which is what this ficticious town believes.

That's not the joke.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18744 on: July 20, 2015, 05:54:33 am »

Any sane discussion needs to start with how Germany is going to reduce it's trade surplus.
Why not start talking about how other countries will reduce their trade deficit? Germany simply producing less isn't good for anyone. Germany consuming more probably would be, but how are you going to force the Germans to buy more EU products without buying more Chinese and American ones?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18745 on: July 20, 2015, 06:12:39 am »

Import more Germans.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18746 on: July 20, 2015, 06:16:12 am »

there is already a fuckton of germans in germany

adding more germans will only make the matter worse

and don't think adding germans to switzerland will help, we'll just have more people riding pink ferraris and smashing up rooms with plastic renditions of austria attached to their crotch

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18747 on: July 20, 2015, 06:24:12 am »

They're already going 'remove Kraut REMOVE KRAUT' anyway...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18748 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:18 am »

Export Germans to Russia. It almost worked in 1941
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18749 on: July 20, 2015, 06:50:26 am »

Didn't end too well for Ukraine though...
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1393