Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748426 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17100 on: June 02, 2015, 06:12:18 am »

The one thing I remember was that the economic downturn in Mexico was cited to be a consequence of failed development policies.

The most recent one???  That's... wow.

Sometimes I think that use of economic arguments needs to be controlled and regulated in the same way as firearms to keep out of the hands of the dangerous.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17101 on: June 02, 2015, 06:15:38 am »

Geesh. That's gonna be great for Europe - Turkey relationship, I'm sure.

Maybe Erdogan is afraid of IS. Yesterday, IS conquered a norther region of Syria, so they now are literally at the border of Turkey. Only 1 country away from Europe now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17102 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:49 am »

Its elections times in turkey, when he usually gets all anti-semitic/anti-zionist to rally the religious folks behind him. Even though its just meaningless rhetoric, it does paint a pretty good picture where Turkey is heading.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17103 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:36 am »

Its elections times in turkey, when he usually gets all anti-semitic/anti-zionist to rally the religious folks behind him. Even though its just meaningless rhetoric, it does paint a pretty good picture where Turkey is heading.

IMO - To Turkish civil war between Muslims and Liberals
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17104 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:03 am »

Speaking of Turkey and elections, I wonder what new things can the local Turkey resident (Leatra) tell us about.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17105 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:00 am »

Probably nothing, or did a judge rule over Erdogan's shutting down of facebook, twitter and other social media yet, and has the ban lifted?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17106 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:42 am »

"Cross the Bosporus once, shame on us. Cross it again..."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gib bak Greek clay
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17107 on: June 02, 2015, 08:13:00 am »

Leatra is active on the forums, but I haven't seen him in the politics threads for a while. Quite a shame, apart from our beloved Putinbots, this place if almost boringly Western.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17108 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:21 am »

Probably nothing, or did a judge rule over Erdogan's shutting down of facebook, twitter and other social media yet, and has the ban lifted?
Well, bay12 isn't technically social media, so :-X
._.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17109 on: June 02, 2015, 08:19:33 am »

IMO - To Turkish civil war between Muslims and Liberals

Not sure liberals has much power and influence in Turkey. from what i know, and i admit its not much, the rivalry is between progressive religious folk like Fethullah gulen vs Erdogan and his puppets which slowly turn turkey into an oligarchy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17110 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:49 am »

Well, bay12 isn't technically social media, so :-X
True, but it is said to be wise not to say anything negative about Erdogan anywhere on the internet as long as you are actually residing in Turkey. Especially so if your critique concerns internal Turkish affairs. Quite a few people including official reporters from western media are either in jail or facing charges there.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17111 on: June 02, 2015, 08:23:03 am »

Liberal is probably not the right word, but you do have a strong tradition of secular nationalists, backed by the army. The CHP got a trouncing in the last decades, but it's still the second-largest party. However, the army has been neutered, which has both good sides (no one like coups) and bad side (at least they were secular).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17112 on: June 02, 2015, 08:38:18 am »

Liberal is probably not the right word, but you do have a strong tradition of secular nationalists, backed by the army. The CHP got a trouncing in the last decades, but it's still the second-largest party. However, the army has been neutered, which has both good sides (no one like coups) and bad side (at least they were secular).
Actually I think that secular-nationalist "Ataturk's Turkey" is dying out and Turkey will either become EU style liberal country or radical Muslim country.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17113 on: June 02, 2015, 08:39:03 am »

"International relations" and "trust" are two completely different axises of relationships.

I guess that's the core difference in between our cultures - in Russia, a good promise built on mutual trust is worth much more than a "legally binding treaty".

Like the promise Russia made Ukraine in 1994 to "respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine" if it gave up its nuclear weapons?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17114 on: June 02, 2015, 08:40:05 am »

Maybe Erdogan is afraid of IS.
Afraid? More like entirely unconcerned, since he's not really bothered by atrocities committed against anyone he doesn't personally like. The whole caliphate thing may be a bit iffy from Erdogan's point of view, but anyone who kills Kurds and infidels is basically okay in his book.
Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 1393