Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750112 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16080 on: April 25, 2015, 11:04:28 am »

I think WW2 might have had something to do with that since being a Pole in that period wasn't exactly popular or good for your health.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: April 25, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

I'd have to read up on that, but I'd guess they were assimilated well before 1933 - they came to the Ruhr area during the Industrial Revolution, and even today it's not at all uncommon for people in the area to have Polish surnames.

Yeah, right, because that's totally going to work. We're going to build refugees center in Syria to process the asylum seekers there. The Eritrean government (Eritrean are the second group of migrants attempting the crossing), which is using most of its population as slave labor, will let us process migrants there.
I was thinking about refugee centers in Libya and Marocco, but putting them in the source countries (or their neighbors - I don't see why we could not open such a center in Lebanon) would be even better, since it would save the people another long and dangerous trip.
There's a different problem though: It's not at all clear whether the proposed treatment of those coming across the Mediterranean without a permit is all that legal...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: April 25, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »

greatorder, are you from London? Just curious.
Nope.

Now, in UK news, David Cameron says that the Conservatives will have the first black or asian MP.

Sounds like a desperate attempt to win over minorities to me.
Get ready for vaudeville blackface Cameron.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »

However, I think that there is a way to sell immigrants to the European public: the Emirati way. Give people work permit if they have a job waiting for them, make them pay taxes and don't let them bring their family. If they lose their jobs, deport them.

After a few years, people could apply for a more permanent residenship, that would give them access to the social service, let them bring in their family etc etc...

Work permits already exists. the problem is that the European countries don't actually need those unqualified workers and as long as countries like Spain and Greece has official unemployment rate of ~23% and 26% respectively, which means it can have "real" unemployment rate well above the 30%, the EU doesn't have a financial or social reason to accept lesser trained and educated workers from africa or the middle east so we are right back to square one.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: April 25, 2015, 06:01:31 pm »

I'll never get this, especially for Germany. We are one of the richest countries in the world. We desperately need fresh blood here, everyone is howling about how the ratio of old people to young people is totally fucked up and how it's only going to get worse.
But somehow still people can believe that
1. we are incapable of offering asylum
2. offering asylum is a bad thing
because, I don't know, fugitives are criminals or incapable of working or suddenly we are so poor we can't feed people or the idea of treating fugitives like citizens is so horrible to people that they can be treated like animals which get housing for nothing while true humans must work or starve because freedom is totally dependent on being able to commit suicide by not finding a job or…
Can anybody explain to me why offering asylum to fugitives is a bad thing? I mean, besides people saying it's a bad thing.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:46 pm »

Since I don't have much else to do I'll see if I can still translate from german, for those of us who cannot read the article linked by Helgoland.

"One out of every two Germans wants to take in more refugees
The majority of Germans loudly demand a new opinion poll, about expanding the legal options for allowing immigration into Europe. Also, they think more financial aid should be made available.

One out of every two Germans wants to allow more refugees into Germany. That is one of the outcomes of the 'DeutschlandTrends' survey held by ARD-Morgenmagazins.
However, this also means that with 44% of the respondents, there are also a lot of Germans who are against an increased intake of refugees.

According to a large majority of respondents, the best method of fighting the refugee catastrophe would be to take away the root causes of the exodus in the nations of origin.
To accomplish this, more financial aid is needed.

At a summit meeting last thursday, EU leaders of state and parliament agreed to triple the means available for emergency rescue operations at sea. Next to that, they united in their intent to take action against human trafficking, and to expand the cooperation with nations of origin, and transit nations. They also concluded that the distribution of refugees amongst the EU member states should be coordinated better than it is now.

More than two thirds of the german population (70%) strongly support a public inquiry into the possibility of creating more legal ways for immigrants to enter Europe. About one fourth (27%) is against this idea. More funds for rescue ships can count on the support of 62% of the Germans.
Naval blockades to stop refugee ships, like Australia is doing, are rejected by 67%, while 32% think this would be a good measure.

The 'GermanTrends' is a poll carried out by Infratest dimap, commissioned by ARD-Morgenmagazins. One thousand Germans were interviewed in the days of the 20th to the 22nd of april."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:58:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: April 26, 2015, 12:43:38 am »

[...]
The work permit thing is a good step in the right direction, but I still don't think it'd be that effective, where would you find jobs for them, that the locals already don't want or need? Because for the most part, this is all unskilled labor coming in, so the most they can do is some sort of physical work (and not services either because I think most don't speak the language).
[...]

That is actually a myth. The people who manage to get as far as Europe are for a big part upper class. I don't have the numbers for the EU at hand, but in Austria (where I have work that involves refugees) 20,4% of those coming here have graduated from university. That is a lot more than the general population (14,6%). It is true that there are refugees with very poor education but on average they are actually higher skilled than the local population. There seems to be a rampant misconception that someone who can't express themselves properly (because it is not their language) is stupid or uneducated or something like that.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: April 26, 2015, 12:53:36 am »

There seems to be a rampant misconception that someone who can't express themselves properly (because it is not their language) is stupid or uneducated or something like that.
Well duh, everyone knows that all people who can't speak Greek are barbarians!

(seriously, it's the origin of the word "barbarian", look it up)
._.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: April 26, 2015, 02:19:00 am »

[...]
The work permit thing is a good step in the right direction, but I still don't think it'd be that effective, where would you find jobs for them, that the locals already don't want or need? Because for the most part, this is all unskilled labor coming in, so the most they can do is some sort of physical work (and not services either because I think most don't speak the language).
[...]

That is actually a myth. The people who manage to get as far as Europe are for a big part upper class. I don't have the numbers for the EU at hand, but in Austria (where I have work that involves refugees) 20,4% of those coming here have graduated from university. That is a lot more than the general population (14,6%). It is true that there are refugees with very poor education but on average they are actually higher skilled than the local population. There seems to be a rampant misconception that someone who can't express themselves properly (because it is not their language) is stupid or uneducated or something like that.

A friend from work is in this situation. Worked for the embassy back in Bangladesh. Here (Australia) he's stuck in a low end supermarket job. His qualifications from back home aren't taken serious. It's not even like his English is that bad. You can notice it's not his first language but he's easy enough to understand.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: April 26, 2015, 03:34:25 am »

(seriously, it's the origin of the word "barbarian", look it up)
The man is right. "ņi barbaroi", literally meaning "those who say bar bar bar bar bar", used as a synonym for "foreigner" (those who do not speak Greek)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:50 am »

Yes, everybody knows that.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:48 am »

I had no idea honestly, tho it does make sense in retrospect, how else would they be able to get the cash required for the jump.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:27 am »

No, that was to martinuz.

But for as how you get the cash, that's not particularly hard, depending on what criminal organisation you're dealing with. You could probably endebt yourself to them.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: April 26, 2015, 05:07:41 am »

You could also agree to work as a mule for some drug trader, I imagine.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1393