Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751391 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15645 on: March 27, 2015, 04:22:43 am »

Apparently the pilot had suffered from heavy depressions and anxiety attacks before. He had to break up his aviation studies for it, and also during his flight career he had already been sent on medical leave.

Police announced they found 'something important' while searching his parents' house. Speculation in the media thinks it's a goodbye letter.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: March 27, 2015, 05:40:38 am »

Ok, let me rephrase: Putin wants to lead a superpower. Being a superpower is the aspect of the USSR that Putin is most interested in. He is a fan of that part. The other parts vary: some of them come with the territory and are embraced (an abrasive attitude in world affairs), others are incidental (like communism) and will be left behind.
But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower. Without communism or any other strong ideology, this is not possible. I don't believe that Putin doesn't know that.
Orthodox Christianity might do it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:55 am »

Hope.... Putin's problem that there are no single ideology universally popular in Russia.

Yes, Orthodox Christiaity has some weight, Islam has some weight , communism has some weight, white racism has some weight, pan-slavism has some weight, imperialism has some weight, WW2-victory "religion" has some weight, Western consumerism has some weigh and even liberalism has some weight.

Brain of average Russian has few of those mixed together forming nation-wide cognitive dissonance(s)

But even if one of those would win. I know no examples in history when old ideology built a new empire.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: March 27, 2015, 07:03:53 am »

Ok, let me rephrase: Putin wants to lead a superpower. Being a superpower is the aspect of the USSR that Putin is most interested in. He is a fan of that part. The other parts vary: some of them come with the territory and are embraced (an abrasive attitude in world affairs), others are incidental (like communism) and will be left behind.
But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower. Without communism or any other strong ideology, this is not possible. I don't believe that Putin doesn't know that.
It's absolutely not strong enough in Russia for that. It's also not a religion suited for world's domination, more for defensive purposes.

We need something new, something completely different from all the religions and ideologies of before, something which would use all the available knowledge to humanity and all the available information-processing instruments for maximum benefit to the society and its people.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:35 am »

You understand that such new ideologies can take power only after a major war, right?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15650 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:23 am »

You understand that such new ideologies can take power only after a major war, right?

Uh, no, take Christianity for example, it didn't take a major war to take power, but just sort of slowly grew.

Anyways, on that germanwings flight crash, the co-pilot apparently had some sort of medical illness which he hid from his employer. Just what though, I have no idea. In fact, the guy wasn't even medically fit to fly, but he tore up the medical notices and flew anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/europe/france-germanwings-plane-crash-main/index.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:09:50 am by smjjames »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15651 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:56 am »

It's absolutely not strong enough in Russia for that. It's also not a religion suited for world's domination, more for defensive purposes.

We need something new, something completely different from all the religions and ideologies of before, something which would use all the available knowledge to humanity and all the available information-processing instruments for maximum benefit to the society and its people.

It seems to me if you're after the "maximum benefit to the society and its people", it's best not to become a superpower in the first place. Nothing I know about the U.S. makes it seem like a good place to live if you happen to be poor/disadvantaged or part of a minority. I certainly wouldn't like to have been borne in the USSR, and China is hardly a prime example of human rights. I'm quite glad I live in an "unimportant" country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: March 27, 2015, 11:15:45 am »

But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower.
It might not be capable of being a superpower - now or ever -, but that won't necessarily stop Putin from trying. Napoleon, Wilhelm II, that one Austrian private... It was clear from the beginning that they could not achieve what they wanted, but they tried nonetheless.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15653 on: March 27, 2015, 11:31:00 am »

But being a superpower without having a strong economical and political system behind you is impossible. Current Russia cannot physically be a world's superpower.
It might not be capable of being a superpower - now or ever -, but that won't necessarily stop Putin from trying. Napoleon, Wilhelm II, that one Austrian private... It was clear from the beginning that they could not achieve what they wanted, but they tried nonetheless.
Napoleon was pretty darn close, though. I mean, if he had managed to defeat and vassalize Russia, the only real opponents left would be Britain and USA. He also had a really powerful ideology behind him, the French Revolution one.

But being a world's superpower through military means is not a really good way. USA achieved that status mostly through economical means, and was much more successful.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:16 am »

US achieved superpower status post industrial revolution.  Napoleon was just before the industrial revolution when military was the only way of being a superpower.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: March 27, 2015, 11:47:09 am »

US achieved superpower status post industrial revolution.  Napoleon was just before the industrial revolution when military was the only way of being a superpower.

Not neccesarily the only way. Venice was a trading powerhouse (not sure about superpower status though) during its heyday. Though I'm sure they had plenty of naval muscle power to back that up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:30 am »

that one Austrian private...
*cough*Gefreiter*cough*
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15657 on: March 27, 2015, 12:00:56 pm »

Not neccesarily the only way. Venice was a trading powerhouse (not sure about superpower status though) during its heyday. Though I'm sure they had plenty of naval muscle power to back that up.

1) They weren't a superpower
2) Their power came from the military
3) If you want the Italian city state that primarily used economic means it would be Florence whose banking ties far exceeded their military reach.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: March 27, 2015, 12:06:21 pm »

that one Austrian private...
*cough*Gefreiter*cough*
Aren't those the same thing?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: March 27, 2015, 12:26:46 pm »

Stop throwing around the word superpower so much guys. It does not just mean "Strong like bull/bear/eagle/tiger". It means a certain sense of dominating influence in world affairs. It's not just enough to punch in above your weight, you need to punch in above everyone else's weight.
Napoleon was pretty darn close, though. I mean, if he had managed to defeat and vassalize Russia, the only real opponents left would be Britain and USA. He also had a really powerful ideology behind him, the French Revolution one.
No. America was no opponent. America bought Louisiana off Napoleon and was pretty happy with that outcome. America had no dog in that fight, but did war with Britain briefly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1393