Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747912 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14535 on: January 21, 2015, 11:57:19 am »

Let's not forget that the West pays a lot of third world countries vast amounts of money so that the environment gets trashed there instead of here, and aside from that it's also often western companies that do both the general trashing and the majority of the profit of it.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: January 21, 2015, 12:09:26 pm »

Yes let us never forget that stereotype.  Meanwhile the largest oil company is Saudi, the most environmentally destructive mining company is Brazilian and it's quasi-state run Chinese companies that created that wonderful level of smog over such a large area.  Totally the west's fault, not shit local governance.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19:05 pm »

[Edit]Forget it[/Edit]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:27:03 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: January 21, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »

Yes let us never forget that stereotype.  Meanwhile the largest oil company is Saudi, the most environmentally destructive mining company is Brazilian and it's quasi-state run Chinese companies that created that wonderful level of smog over such a large area.  Totally the west's fault, not shit local governance.

don't bother, the west is literally over a billion hitlers to some

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: January 21, 2015, 12:30:03 pm »

Well, the West's genetic distance to Hitler is smaller than the average one...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:30 pm »

Let's not forget that the West pays a lot of third world countries vast amounts of money so that the environment gets trashed there instead of here, and aside from that it's also often western companies that do both the general trashing and the majority of the profit of it.

That's a common msconception. Most of deforestation isn't done by "greedy westerners" for instance, nor to exploit wood. It's mostly their traditional way to raise crop : burn a square of forest and raise crops on the ashes. Exept that with even a touch of modern medicine you quickly get to unsustenable population level.

That sounds more like a feature of our technology, not our economic system.

A) both are linked, B) their economic system is usually the same as ours with less democracy/public concern when it's not feudalism or complete dictatorship.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: January 21, 2015, 12:37:05 pm »

Speaking of growth: 1000 pages!

1000 - The exact number of years the 3rd German Empire should have lasted according to Hitler, since apparently we're also speaking of him somehow...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14542 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:15 pm »

It also symbolises completion in Jewish number symbolism!

Well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:04 pm »

That sounds more like a feature of our technology, not our economic system.

A) both are linked, B) their economic system is usually the same as ours with less democracy/public concern when it's not feudalism or complete dictatorship.
Wouldn't b) then speak for the difference in efficiency coming from the technology instead of the economic system?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:42 pm »

That's a common msconception. Most of deforestation isn't done by "greedy westerners" for instance, nor to exploit wood. It's mostly their traditional way to raise crop : burn a square of forest and raise crops on the ashes. Exept that with even a touch of modern medicine you quickly get to unsustenable population level.

Depend of the place really. That might be true in part of Africa, but in Malaysia for example the drivers of deforestation are big companies connected to the state establishing large palm oil plantations.

I agree however that it is too easy to reduce thing to "bad Westerners". We do still consume a large proportion of the world's resources.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: January 21, 2015, 05:47:46 pm »

Looks more hipster hitler than scary neofascist hate monger.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »

with Katrin Oertel, another leader, saying on national public television that everyone deserves a second chance.
Unless you're running from something, I guess.
Taste my Paci-Fist

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: January 21, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »

Grak mentioned Margaret Thatcher in the Rage thread, and it made me wonder- Why do some people seem to hate her with seemingly fanatical fashion?

"Ding, dong, the witch is dead" and all that.

Edit: Also, I'm not saying Grak hates her in a fanatical fashion, just seeing her mentioned made me think about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:57:42 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1393