Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747944 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14505 on: January 20, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »

So, the UK's Green party has released its manifesto for the upcoming general election. It makes for... interesting reading.

The url I found this at is http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

I don't want to shorten it, as it kind of tells its own story.

The heck is? Stahp, you Green Party guys in the UK are making the overall Green Party movement look horrible.

lol

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:36 pm »

Well that's basically all my domestic-political views in one manifesto. It's nice to know I could vote for it if I was English.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: January 20, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »

EDIT:

I have to ask: is there a less biased source for this matter? Because I was reading through it and finding it altogether too crazy to believe. "Alternative medicine?" "Degrowth?" "Al Quaeda recruitment"? "Vegetarianism for all"?

Maybe we are taking a tabloid at face value.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:31:59 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: January 20, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »

Qell, the thing is that there is a limit to economic growth. We cannot double our wealth every generation forever.  So zero-growth is not a choice, it's a certainty. The question become "how do we adapt to it".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: January 20, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »

It is one thing to adjust or plan ahead for resource scarcity, and a very different one to hatchet development in the name of the evils of globalization and economic growth. I can't fathom how they can seriously say that they're happy with today's level of scientific, industrial and social development. It would suck bad for us, and suck worse for those in the gutter. In my mind these guys** want to implement a rehasal of the Middle Ages, with cultural and scientific stagnation.

**by which I mean degrowth proponents. Not necessarily the UK's Green party as I've decided that until further info is added I'll regard the items commented at the telegraph as yellow press.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: January 20, 2015, 04:38:24 pm »

Qell, the thing is that there is a limit to economic growth. We cannot double our wealth every generation forever.  So zero-growth is not a choice, it's a certainty. The question become "how do we adapt to it".
Say it with me: Planned economy!

It's the only way to be sure.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: January 20, 2015, 06:02:08 pm »

Forever?  That's a long time.  I challenge you to find an economist alive today suggesting that.

However another couple centuries of steady growth are feasible even under pessimistic assumptions and deeply desirable.  And they can be obtained while exhausting natural resources less then today.  Technology and skills improve over time.  We get more efficient.  New potential is opened up.  People will shift their consumption into the more efficient things.  When was the last time you went to a video rental store?  When was the last time you watched a streaming video?  Guess which one has far, far less environmental cost?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: January 20, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »

Well, you're conveniently ignoring the fact that a) We are already beyond what's sustainable for a number or parameters, like CO2 production or phosphorus use, and b) We need to free up resources for the poor of the worlds to reach a decent standard of living.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:06 pm »

Well, you're conveniently ignoring the fact that a) We are already beyond what's sustainable for a number or parameters, like CO2 production or phosphorus use, and b) We need to free up resources for the poor of the worlds to reach a decent standard of living.
a) You're ignoring the possibility of increased efficiency and reduced environmental impact by developing technologies such as fusion.
b) See a).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:44 pm »

True, but wanting more growth increase the amount of efficiency gains we need to stay within our ecological limit. I's all fine and dandy to believe technology will save us, but the historical record shows little to support this: we've been getting more and more efficient for the last decades, yet the only year that showed a dip in carbon emissions was 2009, when the world economy tanked.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: January 20, 2015, 06:46:53 pm »

Technology might not save us but it's our best bet. . I repeat, most of the things that we need to live depend on huge industrial complexes. So going with this degrowth plan is basically telling anyone with heart disease, or cancer, or organ failure or, heavens forbid, one of those orphan diseases that need a terribly expensive treatment, to go fuck themselves. Or, if that pamphlet from before is for serious, send them to some "alternative practitioner". And that's just one aspect. There's also food production, and last but not least, lifestyle; odds are this de-escalation would mean going back to the pre-industrial standard of being stuck in the city of your birth.
Going luddite is not going to lead us anywhere we want to be

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »

but the historical record shows little to support this: we've been getting more and more efficient for the last decades, yet the only year that showed a dip in carbon emissions was 2009, when the world economy tanked.
And during this time we've witnessed the ascension of at least one and a half billion people from crushing poverty to liveable conditions. We aren't doing too bad.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: January 20, 2015, 06:50:17 pm »

The plan seems like something the Liberal Crime Squad would write up.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:45 pm »

True, but wanting more growth increase the amount of efficiency gains we need to stay within our ecological limit. I's all fine and dandy to believe technology will save us, but the historical record shows little to support this: we've been getting more and more efficient for the last decades, yet the only year that showed a dip in carbon emissions was 2009, when the world economy tanked.

Yes reductions dont just happen on their own.  If major economies aren't even trying to reduce, we wont reduce.  But plenty of parts of the world have achieved reductions without stopping growth.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:31 pm »

Yeah, pumping carbon to generate economic growth works great for the "generating economic growth", I am in total agreement with you there. The whole point of the "zero growth" idea is to stop growing in the West so developing countries have enough room to grow by pumping carbon.

ChairmanPoo, zero growth just mean we keep going with the current living standards. I'm not sure why you keep arguing against some kind of primitivist straw man.

Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1393