Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747709 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14445 on: January 17, 2015, 08:29:31 pm »

Don't be violent but he is violent towards his friends. Unless it's normal to expect to be hit by the pope.
Now you're just taking things literally for the sake of the argument and nothing else.
I'm taking it literally because that's how you by default take anything that isn't explicitly or heavily implicitly anything else.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: January 17, 2015, 08:34:23 pm »

The fact that the man is the head of a pacifist religion and is noted for his advocacy of peaceful cooperation between different faiths doesn't imply heavy enough for you?  What is a heavy enough implication for you?  A two by four to the back of the head while shouting "METAPHOR" perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:36:00 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: January 17, 2015, 08:36:33 pm »

I don't know shit about the pope. All I know is that he's a new one, and he's Catholic. And that's hardly stopped intolerance before.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: January 17, 2015, 08:39:09 pm »

Don't be violent but he is violent towards his friends. Unless it's normal to expect to be hit by the pope.
Now you're just taking things literally for the sake of the argument and nothing else.
I'm taking it literally because that's how you by default take anything that isn't explicitly or heavily implicitly anything else.
By taking quotes out of context and then interpreting them literally, you can make half the people on Earth seem like violent lunatics.

I don't know shit about the pope. All I know is that he's a new one, and he's Catholic. And that's hardly stopped intolerance before.
For your information, he is really progressive to the point where he has attempted to make homosexuality not a sin. That sadly didn't quite work out with the rest of the cardinals, but the attempt was there.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »

If you don't know shit about him, what makes you think you know enough to correctly judge him?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: January 17, 2015, 09:18:06 pm »

By taking quotes out of context and then interpreting them literally, you can make half the people on Earth seem like violent lunatics.
The only context I'd seen it in up until whoever posted the transcript in the thread was a newspaper article similar in composition and shorter in length than the one I linked.

For your information, he is really progressive to the point where he has attempted to make homosexuality not a sin. That sadly didn't quite work out with the rest of the cardinals, but the attempt was there.
That's pretty impressive. Trying to overturn the Bible on something that so many people feel strongly about really takes some... specific personality traits.

If you don't know shit about him, what makes you think you know enough to correctly judge him?
From the stuff he said. How else do you judge people?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »

This is only partially true. He essentially told people that while it is important, it isn't the only thing people should be concerned about. As tends to happen.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

That's pretty impressive. Trying to overturn the Bible on something that so many people feel strongly about really takes some... specific personality traits.
Balls the size of a FUCKING WATERMELON don't hurt either.  I mean I hadn't heard of that before but DAMN he must've had big balls to try and do that.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: January 17, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »

The strongest thing Mr.On-A-Rope had said about the homos is "Who am I to judge?"

As far as I knew and heard of, anyway.

Also that was Franky boy here. Benedict... Would not have said that. Ever.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:30 pm »

He says one thing and afterwards the contrary, depending on the audience: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/pope-francis-suggests-gay-marriage-threatens-traditional-families.  I think it´s pure PR. He's no better nor worse  than your average pope, IMO

The strongest thing Mr.On-A-Rope had said about the homos is "Who am I to judge?"

well, now he has said that gay marriage "disfigures God's plan for creation. So there's that.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: January 17, 2015, 09:29:37 pm »

From the stuff he said. How else do you judge people?

But you just said that you don't know his views!  The views you say you are judging him on.

I have just decided that if I am ever on trial I will forgo my right to a trial by jury.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »

No he didn't. That's the second time in this thread you put words into other people's mouths, by the way.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: January 17, 2015, 11:59:42 pm »

No he didn't. That's the second time in this thread you put words into other people's mouths, by the way.

Ah yes, because he hasn't offered any opinion on the man's views.  Oh wait...

How is it not hypocrisy to advocate one thing while personally doing the opposite?

Or are you going to argue that I shouldn't take ChairmanPoo's words literally as he insists that the Pope should be judged by taking his word's literally?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: January 18, 2015, 03:16:22 am »

He says one thing and afterwards the contrary, depending on the audience: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/pope-francis-suggests-gay-marriage-threatens-traditional-families.  I think it´s pure PR. He's no better nor worse  than your average pope, IMO

well, now he has said that gay marriage "disfigures God's plan for creation. So there's that.

Well, both statements aren't contradictory, and could be expected. Hate the sin, love the sinner and all that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: January 18, 2015, 03:44:10 am »

So yeah, Graknorke litterally said he doesn't know anything about Francis.

Now, AFAIK, his position is that gay marriage isn't good, but that at least gays aren't evil satanspawns. Not progressive by general standard, but already pretty decent by pope standards I guess.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1393