Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1759060 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13305 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »

Well, it's not like Merkel isn't the defacto leader of the EU's policy machine anyway..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:13 pm »

Hey, if she wins a EU-wide presidential election, then sure?

Of course, the bigger your electorate, the more likely you'll get a president with like, 10% of the vote but still the majority, everyone else getting less than that. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:01 pm »

Well, it's not like Merkel isn't the defacto leader of the EU's policy machine anyway..
Wouldn't be half as bad maybe, though it looks a bit like she is on her way out already anyway. Don't think she's going to do all that much till 2017 and she's probably not going to be around after that.

I'm a talkative fucker.
Maybe I'll up and move to Germany. :D
You guys really need a Euro-President-For-Life, or at least unlimited terms.
Waitaminute, you're not trying to talk us into giving you a job, are you?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

Y-... N-nooooo. Not at all...

SMOKEBOMB!

* Descan scampers off.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:07 pm »

Wouldn't be half as bad maybe, though it looks a bit like she is on her way out already anyway. Don't think she's going to do all that much till 2017 and she's probably not going to be around after that.
I'Ve definitely heard she isn't planning to become another Kohl, and there even were rumors of her leaving in 2016, halfway through her third chancellorship. But I've also heard rumors that she's looking to leave the Kanzleramt to get precisely the job Descan's been talking about...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:21 pm »

I'Ve definitely heard she isn't planning to become another Kohl, and there even were rumors of her leaving in 2016, halfway through her third chancellorship. But I've also heard rumors that she's looking to leave the Kanzleramt to get precisely the job Descan's been talking about...
Merkel intensifies?  ;)

Yeah, but those are just rumours so far. I'm really curious who's going to try to follow her as chancellor, looks like we're going to get another post-Kohl vacuum in the CDU, but without a strong SPD this time. It's going to be interesting...or horrifying...or both.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: December 03, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »

I'm still rooting for a Steinbrück comeback. He's centrist, he says what he thinks, and he's in the right wing of the SPD: He's basically the German Joe Biden!
It's a shame they burned him in 2014, really. Other contenders? Von der Leyen, maybe even Schäuble? But the SPD is pretty much bled dry.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:25 pm »

Steinbrück - and the whole German SPD - is way too pro-Russian for my taste.

Fakeedit: I was mixing up Steinbrück and Steinmeier.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to post this: a really good portait of Merckel by the New Yorker. IMO, a must-read for anyone outside Germany who wants to know more about the Mutti That Rules Them All.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: December 04, 2014, 12:38:01 am »

Anyway, I mostly wanted to post this: a really good portait of Merckel by the New Yorker. IMO, a must-read for anyone outside Germany who wants to know more about the Mutti That Rules Them All.

It's a very negative portrait.  It depicts her as having no agenda, no reason to be in politics, just accumulating political capital never spending it.  That's a very frightening image if you think about the implications.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: December 04, 2014, 02:56:55 am »

There was a nice quote that you exemplify perfectly:

Americans don’t like to think of our leaders as having no higher principles. We want at least a suggestion of the “vision thing”—George H. W. Bush’s derisive term, for which he was derided. But Germany remains so traumatized by the grand ideologies of its past that a politics of no ideas has a comforting allure.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: December 04, 2014, 03:06:39 am »

So the article is basically illustrating what americans think of german politics?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:11 am »

No, but the fact that mainiac's reaction is so negative is a nice illustration of that quote. Neither me nor Helgoland found it negative.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: December 04, 2014, 03:52:25 am »

No additional reactors planned. But they're considering to change the law to allow the construction of a new reactor. Very hypothetical though.

The planned "solution" is obviously import, and continued reliance on natural gas. IIRC, they're thinking about 50-70 % nat gas, 20-40% Renewable, and minority of coal for 2030.

The result is obvious : electricty bills doubling*, energy sector emissions rising by 40%, ...

*Not that nuclear is cheap either. But it's not that expensive when compared with the 60 billion we need now.

Why do countries need energy autarky? It's not like Belgium's defenses would last long enough for a blackout to occur if its neighbors started to invade anyway.
We don't. But if we don't go for autarky, we should go for an upgraded European grid, which isn't a very high priority either.

Quite honestly, and this seems to be more prevalent in energy policy than elsewhere, the entire policy is dominated by short term thinking. If it can't get done in your term it isn't. If the problems only crop up next term, it's the other guys problem.
So to make good energy policy decisions, you need a dictator? Russia's mass construction of new nuclear reactors seems to confirm that.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: December 04, 2014, 03:57:42 am »

Preferably a competent and benevolent dictator*, but yes. The problem is that a party politics systems with re-elections every 4-5-6 years does not encourage long term strategies.

*Note: Not implying that Putin is incompetent, or a dictator.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: December 04, 2014, 05:36:12 am »

There was a nice quote that you exemplify perfectly:

Americans don’t like to think of our leaders as having no higher principles. We want at least a suggestion of the “vision thing”—George H. W. Bush’s derisive term, for which he was derided. But Germany remains so traumatized by the grand ideologies of its past that a politics of no ideas has a comforting allure.
There's a quote from Helmut Schmidt, who's practically our national Elder Statesman: "If you have visions, go see a doctor."
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1393