Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758937 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13230 on: November 30, 2014, 06:53:37 am »

So, should we conclude Germans are more honest?   :P
I think I read an article once by an American living in Germany (or was it a German living in the USA? Or an American in the USA with a German wife? I don't know anymore) saying that Germans deemed Americans dishonest and loud while Americans see Germans way too straightforward and dispassionate. He cited the term of the "little white lie", as it was used as something good in the USA while there is no equivalent with the same positive connotations in Germany. Also there was something about how presents are received in the two countries - with a little "thank you" in Germany which would be interpreted as "yeah, sorry, that's not really what I wanted" in America.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:06 am »

There's the linguistic tidbit that Germans have no own word for 'small talk'. All we have is 'Geschwätz', but that's got negative connotations - it sounds like gossiping and unnecessary blabbering.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:13 am »

There's the linguistic tidbit that Germans have no own word for 'small talk'. All we have is 'Geschwätz', but that's got negative connotations - it sounds like gossiping and unnecessary blabbering.

Its the same thing in the Nordics. Except that, from what I know from personal experience too, we are even much more direct, have even less small talk between total strangers(although initiating one is not seen too unusual) and a lot of the time the American way of being constantly overly polite would be seen as dishonest or even a bit rude.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: November 30, 2014, 08:11:20 am »

That is pretty interesting to me. I live in a area of America that has A: A lot of German descendants, and B: a lot of Scandinavian descendants. And it's one of our largest stereotypes to sorta be as you describe, overly polite and such. (Also in my own experience it's more the Nordic descendants who are like that, and the Germans are more straight forward... But it's hard to tell the two groups apart, so my actual knowledge is very limited on that matter...)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: November 30, 2014, 08:16:58 am »

That is pretty interesting to me. I live in a area of America that has A: A lot of German descendants, and B: a lot of Scandinavian descendants. And it's one of our largest stereotypes to sorta be as you describe, overly polite and such. (Also in my own experience it's more the Nordic descendants who are like that, and the Germans are more straight forward... But it's hard to tell the two groups apart, so my actual knowledge is very limited on that matter...)

and which generation are they?

assuming that societal attitudes are ingrained in people's blood is ignorant at best and outright xenophobic at worst

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: November 30, 2014, 08:18:53 am »

Oh no. Woe is me. I thought it was merely interesting that a culture partially descendant from another culture can be so different! Oh I'll go throw myself in the racist pit now!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: November 30, 2014, 08:20:39 am »

silly cript, we have a dedicated chasm now

shit gets upgraded you know

do you need directions or are you fine?

also ignorance is racism now vOv gotta make notes

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: November 30, 2014, 08:41:57 am »

and which generation are they?

assuming that societal attitudes are ingrained in people's blood is ignorant at best and outright xenophobic at worst

It's not about blood, instantly jumping to that and calling Criptfiend ignorant and xenophobic is pretty terrible of you Slowpoke. Culture and cultural traits pass down for as long as people consider it important. I entirely agree with Criptfiend.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:48:41 am by Owlbread »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: November 30, 2014, 09:01:58 am »

Could be a local thing or small sample size. In my experience the Danish and Swedish also tend to be more polite and talkative than the others.

More about Nordics vs. Germany, for example in Germany it seems to be very common to greet people, strangers included, shortly, such as "Guten abend! / Morgen! / Guten tag!" depending a bit on the surroundings. When interrupting someone while for example trying to move in a crowd or something, you can say "Entschuldigung!" ("Excuse me!") to get the attention and nobody. I dare you, just try to do those in Finland or try to start small talk in a train or bus(anywhere but a bar, restaurant or in hobbies) and you will probably get looked at funnily and receive either no response at all or a hastily whispered one while looking at ones feet and trying to get away from the situation asap.  :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:08 am »

... honestly, randomly attempting to start up conversation with complete strangers is one of the odder social habits in parts of the states. I see it happen, have had it happen to me a couple times, and the thought in the back of the head is, "Who the hell are you and why the zogging hell are you bothering me, you lunatic?" Doesn't help that a lot of folks around here are functionally addicted to disinformation via the media. Can't say I blame folks for not wanting to engage in that sort of thing. I hear y'all talking about this and suddenly germany seems a lot more attractive as a place to move to.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: November 30, 2014, 10:04:38 am »

More about Nordics vs. Germany, for example in Germany it seems to be very common to greet people, strangers included, shortly, such as "Guten abend! / Morgen! / Guten tag!" depending a bit on the surroundings. When interrupting someone while for example trying to move in a crowd or something, you can say "Entschuldigung!" ("Excuse me!") to get the attention and nobody. I dare you, just try to do those in Finland or try to start small talk in a train or bus(anywhere but a bar, restaurant or in hobbies) and you will probably get looked at funnily and receive either no response at all or a hastily whispered one while looking at ones feet and trying to get away from the situation asap.  :D
Greeting people (or just nodding) is not uncommon, much more in rural than urban areas, but it's more about politely acknowledging each other's existence than an invitation to small talk. Strangers that start small talk in trains will usually be foreigners, someone who needs help or someone who is mildly annoying and possibly slightly insane. :)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:11 am »

I was greeted by someone I came across while on a walk a couple of weeks ago. I cant recall when that had happened before, and I was so surprised  I didnt manage to reply before we had already passed each other.  :)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: November 30, 2014, 10:32:53 am »

I was greeted by someone I came across while on a walk a couple of weeks ago. I cant recall when that had happened before, and I was so surprised  I didnt manage to reply before we had already passed each other.  :)
If a complete stranger greets me on the street, that's confusing too, since I normally only greet people I somewhat know from regularily seeing them around. Sometimes it is that thing where you are the only people on a walk in the forest and greet each other while passing by to signal that you're not going to kill each other, but otherwise I will usually assume that someone who greets me also knows me from somewhere.

Then there is also that thing, in rural areas, where elderly people will be annoyed if you don't greet them. They won't tell you, but they will tell all the other old people in the village. "That guy? Can't even say "Good Morning"..."  ::)

Seems to be really different in other places though, I remember a particularly hilarious incident where an exchange student from Africa tried to personally introduce himself to hundreds of people at the central university bus station, which caused quite a bit of confusion.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:25 am »

If you're on a high street, that would be weird. Probably something to do with the large amounts of people, everyone can sort of blend and not have to acknowledge each other as individuals.

I go for a walk up a mountain or in the country and most people greet/nod/smile at you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13244 on: November 30, 2014, 10:49:54 am »

Hereabouts, most people will greet you out in the Styx, but not in the city. That would be weird, especially with the eleven different languages to greet in. Also you'd get whiplash trying not to offend anyone because of the crowds.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1393