Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758075 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12660 on: November 07, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »

Eurosceptiscism is not that similair for the moment here.

Anyway, Flanders can not loose Bruxelles, because otherwise the capital will likely end up in Antwerp. We can't let that happen.

It won't be that bad, the dockers will keep the mood lively!
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: November 07, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »

I've got a game with friends where each one of us has to find five good arguments for a position one would normally never defend. Last time we played, he had to find five good reasons to nuke Antwerp (his girlfriend lives there).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: November 07, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »

It can be argued that england is no more real than Belgium.
Just because the the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms were conquered by the great heathen army and became the danelaw.

The UK is an example of the "realm" idea I was getting at. I do believe England is a country/nation though, but it is the sum of its parts i.e all the counties together. Very much like Wales and Ireland, they did not have political unity but they were one nation. I see a future independent federation of England, or just England with county level devolution.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:51:58 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: November 07, 2014, 02:34:07 pm »

'Federation of England' sounds so much better than 'England' on its own.

I support this move, now.
How does "United Kingdom" sounds to you?
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: November 07, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »

And also the fact that Belgium hold the EU headquarters.

Which is incredibly ironic, given the current popularity of euroskepticism.
Eurosceptiscism is not that similair for the moment here.

Anyway, Flanders can not loose Bruxelles, because otherwise the capital will likely end up in Antwerp. We can't let that happen.
Antwerpen ist stad, en de rest is parkeerpluts!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: November 07, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »

Not as good. Federation sounds much cooler.

'Federation of the British Isles' sounds pretty cool, too.
You're a fan of Star Trek, aren't you?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »

Not as good. Federation sounds much cooler.

'Federation of the British Isles' sounds pretty cool, too.
You're a fan of Star Trek, aren't you?
That was my firt thought too.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: November 07, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »

Make love not war

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: November 07, 2014, 05:09:56 pm »

I always saw Belgium as one of those false countries. Countries that don't actually exist,  they're just administrative leftovers from the olden days when several countries were ruled by one European ruler as administrative units. Switzerland is an example - it's bits and pieces of several countries stuck together.

I hope I'm not being rude here, but how many of the countries that you consider to be "real" are real countries. It seems to me that you think if a  country didn't exist 100, 200, 300 years ago then it's not a real country and that if a country did exist back then and no longer does that we should break the country in it's place and recreate the real country. Again, not trying to be rude or start an argument, just an observation.

Edit: The numbers above aren't meant to be real numbers, hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying anyways.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:19:40 pm by wobbly »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: November 07, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »

i'd like to take this moment to point out that switzerland is about as much of a country as countries get

point out one way in which the constituent parts of it are not allowed self determination or not treated as equals in regards to its other parts

or that there even is a dominant part (suppose you could say the german is, but it's not a de jure thing)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »

Yeah, I'm surprised you want to split Switzerland, it should be your dream country: a country unified by a strong national identity superseding ethnic ties, unified through the will of its people rather than war and coercion, with strong democratic traditions and decentralization.

BTW, there was a lot of fuss about a year ago when Switzerland voted those immigration restricitions in a referendum, that could endanger all kind of EU treaties. Someone knows what happened in the end?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: November 07, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »

The EU has implemented some measures, and the swiss governement has another 2 years to renegiotiate the treaties. The EU is not intending to cooperate though.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/formal-cooling-eu-swiss-relations-308529

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »

The "not a real country" debate could encompass a whole lot of countries. Germany only came together in 1871, Italy only settled on Rome as the capital the same year, and some territories didn't join with Italy until after WWI.

Why are those real countries and not Belgium and Switzerland ? The subjective criteria sounds like it's about having a "national language" that's not shared by other nations, since Belgium and Switzerland have a mix of languages in common with neighboring countries. But such a "rule" needs to be objectively applied. Austria speaks German, so they're fake too.

Also, what about the USA? They speak imported languages too. The language rule would exclude pretty much all colonial countries from being "real" as well - so by by "countries" in the Americas / New World. You're all fake ones.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:18:19 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:15 pm »

Austria speaks German, so they're fake too.
Großdeutschland stronk!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1393