Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757970 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12585 on: November 05, 2014, 01:34:41 am »

Optimizing the benefit for one group, in this case whichever families "count" (since not everyone can count or you'd just go for the utilitarian goal of maximizing the policies' benefit to everyone) automatically means you make things suboptimal, i.e. relatively worse, for everyone else. Since it's a zero sum game.

Some quick analysis:

Mr Cameron said: "Whether it's the benefits system incentivising couples to live apart or penalising those who go out to work or whether it's excessive bureaucracy preventing loving couples from adopting children with no family at all.

Ok, lets stop couples being incentivised to live apart. So we're going to incentivise couples to stay together instead, i.e. penalize couples for living apart, i.e. penalize women for leaving abusive relationships.

Ok, so we want to stop penalizing people for going out to work. Lets penalize them for not going out to work instead. That's cheaper than incentivizing going out to work (and the budget is already stretched so it has to be like that). That will help with the lazy single mothers who try and stay home with the kids.

Ok, lets strip the red tape and oversight away from adoptions. All the abusive foster parents will love that one. Why not make it as cheap and easy as possible and throw babies off the back of a truck and anyone who wants one can pick one up?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:43:40 am by Reelya »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:38 am »

if you are in any way claiming right there that it is only women that are in abusive relationships you might as well bring out the bigger bait because wow are you trying to stir shit

same with the second, can't you just say that some people are unable to find work due to whatever reasons and be done with it

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: November 05, 2014, 01:53:25 am »

if you are in any way claiming right there that it is only women that are in abusive relationships you might as well bring out the bigger bait because wow are you trying to stir shit

if you are in any way claiming right there that because he used the example of a woman being abused in a relationship he denies the existence of men being abused in a relationship you might as well bring out the bigger bait because wow you are trying to stir shit
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:23 am »

if you are in any way claiming right there that because he used the example of a woman being abused in a relationship he denies the existence of men being abused in a relationship you might as well bring out the bigger bait because wow you are trying to stir shit

Indeed, I was going to point out the same but you ninja you. @Slowpoke - the genders of the abused couples are irrelevant to his point.
Love, scriver~

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:22 am »

if you are in any way claiming right there that i am stirring shit you might as well bring out the bigger bait because wow are you trying to stir shit

seriously though i saw that happen and that's a really dumb thing to happen so might as well shout at people to explain instead of going off into a rant for no good reason

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: November 05, 2014, 02:32:36 am »

Aaand your response is just more rambling spam, as usual. I'm not even sure why I thought for a second it wouldn't be such.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: November 05, 2014, 02:33:09 am »

Also, women do tend to get more easily stuck in abusive relationships, notably because they tend to earn less (so ar emore dependent on chubby for financial support).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04:11 am »

Also, women do tend to get more easily stuck in abusive relationships, notably because they tend to earn less (so ar emore dependent on chubby for financial support).

And because they tend to get murdered when they leave abusive relationships.  It's a fucked up world.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: November 05, 2014, 09:06:49 am »

straight-white-suburbia-milquetoast-conservative

Imho, that's where the real kinky stuff happen.

Also Slowpoke, you're being uselessly confrontational. It's true that abusive relationship go both way and that male abuse is neglected, but that's just a slightly unfortunate wording, no need to go ballistic over it.

And because they tend to get murdered when they leave abusive relationships.  It's a fucked up world.

No need to be overly dramatic. It's a rather bad thing actually. Fear is an abuser weapon, renfocing it is giving him/her more tools.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: November 05, 2014, 09:08:17 am »

Pointing out the failings in our society is not reinforcing fear.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:03 am »

Dramatizing them does. Everyone get in a bad relationship at some point, quite a few of them become abusive, and very few end in murder.
Beside, women kill their spouse at a comparable rate as men. I think you're falling for the old "women are weak and gentle" and "men are agressive and scary" stereotype.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: November 05, 2014, 10:07:48 am »

Dramatizing?  One of the most dangerous times for an abused woman is when she leaves the abuser.  I'm just pointing out a regrettable truth.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: November 05, 2014, 10:57:23 am »

Dramatizing them does. Everyone get in a bad relationship at some point, quite a few of them become abusive, and very few end in murder.
Beside, women kill their spouse at a comparable rate as men. I think you're falling for the old "women are weak and gentle" and "men are agressive and scary" stereotype.
+
Dramatizing?  One of the most dangerous times for an abused woman is when she leaves the abuser.  I'm just pointing out a regrettable truth.
=
"One of the most dangerous times for an abused man is when he leaves the abuser."

???
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

From Phmcw's link:

Hence, for every 100 men who killed
their wives, about 75 women killed their husbands.

And that's in the US, which this paper study because the ration of husbands killed by their wife is especially high. According to the same paper, you've for 23 dead husband for 100 dead wives in England, 40 in Scotland and 17 in Denmark.

So no, women do not kill their partners at the same rate than men. They're about as violent (from other studies I read, I can link them if you want), but they kill less, in large part because men tneds to be much bigger and stronger than women.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: November 05, 2014, 11:28:12 am »

One of the most dangerous time for the abused is to leave the abuser.

There, done.

This may be true but I do not know it's true.  The extent of my knowledge is that one of the most dangerous times for an abused woman is when she leaves the abuser.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1393