Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742252 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11280 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:26 pm »

That explains it.

When is he expected to sign it?
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11281 on: September 25, 2014, 12:26:01 am »

It really annoys me to no end that as soon as an autocrats shout "Bad capitalists, bad fascists!" he automatically get support from large section of the European left, no matter what he actually did. It's like some sort of switch in their brain that turns it off if someone pronounce a keyword. Then they fall for pitiful tricks that shouldn't fool a 6 years old like that picture of Poroshenko "doing a Nazi salute in the US congress" which is just a picture of him waving.

Like, seriously?

Oh, and then there are those that assume Putin's good because he must be good because he oppose the US, and the US is obviously the source of all Evil. There is plenty I hate about US and US foreign policy, but is the concept that someone can hate an asshole and still be a bigger asshole THAT hard to grab?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11282 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:12 am »

an asshole calling an asshole an asshole is an asshole, but an asshole who can tell an asshole from not an asshole, therefore said asshole might not be such an asshole as the asshole being spoken of? fuck if i know

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11283 on: September 25, 2014, 04:44:11 am »

I think that's because a large section of the European left are not really reasonable people and they don't think that Putin is bad and don't understand why they should think Putin is bad. Oh well in hindsight that sounds a bit trollish so disregard that but really it's so irritating to hear smth like "Scottish PM Salmond supported Putin's policy" or whatever. Here in Russia news like that are always exaggerated and run over and over again by all media. It's beyond my understanding that some folks in Europe find words of praise for him.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11284 on: September 25, 2014, 04:56:02 am »

It really annoys me to no end that as soon as an autocrats shout "Bad capitalists, bad fascists!" he automatically get support from large section of the European left, no matter what he actually did. It's like some sort of switch in their brain that turns it off if someone pronounce a keyword. Then they fall for pitiful tricks that shouldn't fool a 6 years old like that picture of Poroshenko "doing a Nazi salute in the US congress" which is just a picture of him waving.

Like, seriously?

Oh, and then there are those that assume Putin's good because he must be good because he oppose the US, and the US is obviously the source of all Evil. There is plenty I hate about US and US foreign policy, but is the concept that someone can hate an asshole and still be a bigger asshole THAT hard to grab?

That's a proud tradition of Russian rulers, Sheb.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11285 on: September 25, 2014, 05:17:46 am »

Russian tradition make Putin asshole? I thought that was Greek tradition
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11286 on: September 25, 2014, 06:08:05 am »

Like, seriously?

No. Just no. Since I have no idea what brought this on, but I do need to point out that even if someone agrees with Putin about his criticism of whatever (no matter how hypocritical that might be coming from him) that does not mean they "support" him. Don't forget that Putin's main supporters in Europe are the conservative right, after all. They're the ones who's been buddying up to him ever since the Maidan protests started.
Love, scriver~

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11287 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:31 am »

Ain't it fascinating that people on the Maidan would consider themselves conservative right? And that actually almost anybody who I know who considers themselves conservative OR right (in the political sense) is opposed to Putin. Granted, I don't really know many people in their sound mind who are not opposed to Putin (mind you, there is no small amount of people in Polish media who are clearly not in their sound mind, for example).
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11288 on: September 25, 2014, 07:54:00 am »

That explains it.

When is he expected to sign it?
He has 15 more days

I think there are rather high chance that he'll veto it as not good enough

Ain't it fascinating that people on the Maidan would consider themselves conservative right? And that actually almost anybody who I know who considers themselves conservative OR right (in the political sense) is opposed to Putin. Granted, I don't really know many people in their sound mind who are not opposed to Putin (mind you, there is no small amount of people in Polish media who are clearly not in their sound mind, for example).
Problem is that Eastern European (far-)rights and Western European (far-)rights have different goals and ideology
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11289 on: September 25, 2014, 08:20:52 am »

Like, seriously?

No. Just no. Since I have no idea what brought this on, but I do need to point out that even if someone agrees with Putin about his criticism of whatever (no matter how hypocritical that might be coming from him) that does not mean they "support" him. Don't forget that Putin's main supporters in Europe are the conservative right, after all. They're the ones who's been buddying up to him ever since the Maidan protests started.
Dude, your second sentence is a strawman - he was talking not about everyone who X, but about many people who X. And he's right about them, it's the same in Germany: The far left and far right (not only extremists, but people in parliament too) love Putin because he's a) a strongman, b) an opponent of the US (gee, I wonder why some people in the West support Hamas and Assad as well...) and c) a great screen to project communist nostalgia onto (this applies mostly to the leftists, of course).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11290 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:12 am »

https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/operation-archimedes

Whooohooo. Apparently Europol is doing some good job. I very happy about this because organized crime is a pretty big threath to democracy.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11291 on: September 25, 2014, 08:50:51 am »

https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/operation-archimedes

Whooohooo. Apparently Europol is doing some good job. I very happy about this because organized crime is a pretty big threat to humanity.
FTFY.
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11292 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:12 am »

Yeah, there's organized crime in Russia too you know :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11293 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:14 am »

Yeah, and I guess I focus on the leftists because a) I know many more leftists than rightists and b) I kinda expect far-right persons to be wrong anyway, that's why I'm a leftist. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11294 on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:23 am »

Unfortunately, many on the left fall for the same seductive lure that claims the right: all-encompassing and unquestionably dogmatic social theory. It's halfway to being a religion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 1393