Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752134 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10440 on: September 07, 2014, 03:42:03 pm »

Has there ever been a revolution (that wasn't just an armed rebellion) where every protester got paid by the day?

You'd think agitation in general would be the main weapon of the supposed outsiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_pro-Russian_unrest_in_Ukraine#Anti-Maidan_and_paid_protesters That's the Russian side though.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: September 07, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »

You'd have to people very large amounts of money to camp in Kiev through the winter while enduring political persecution and to keep quiet about being bought. I think we'd have seen a notable spike in US debt if that was the case.

That's what the black budget is for. It was 56.8 billion dollars last year, God only knows what it is now, and not even He knows what they spent it on.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

The best thing that can happen right now is, I think , a siccions of Ukraine. Let the Russian side be Russian, and make the richest side as European as possible.

Isn't the eastern side (the russian side) the part with the economic engine? Or at least a good part of it.
[black humor mode] Not for long...  [/black humor mode]

To be more serious, Donetsk and Luhansk regions do contribute a large chunk of Ukrainian GDP but currently occupied zone is not that important comparing to the rest of region. Should the currently occupied area go away their GDP per capita will by very low even without taking war damage and severed economic ties into account.

That is a reason why they will go and try to take city of Mariupol. If not to take it for themselves then to deny Ukraine very important industrial center, port and some nice arable land around it. 

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: September 07, 2014, 03:55:13 pm »

The best thing that can happen right now is, I think , a siccions of Ukraine. Let the Russian side be Russian, and make the richest side as European as possible.

Isn't the eastern side (the russian side) the part with the economic engine? Or at least a good part of it.
[black humor mode] Not for long...  [/black humor mode]
I don't think you need to use that much black humor. IIRC, quite a bit of that Industrial power is ex-soviet Industry, which will not be able to survive in the European business climate. Especially not if Russia embargoes it. (Majority of Ukranian trade goes to Russia).

Now, in the case that the rebels steal the Industry and join Russia, the Industry will also come under pressure by part of an increasingly isolated Russia. I don't think Russia is going to expend much money and resources sustaining an Industry that isn't part of it's heartland.

On a side note, it seems like Putin is playing the long game with his food embargo. Seeing as food is banned, but agricultural machinery and seeds aren't, it's probable that Putin intends to ensure that Russia's agricultural sector soon is capable of sustaining the country.

Not going to happen from one day or the other, but it might soon.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: September 07, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »

Dunno. EU and US put sanctions on Russian elite and major corporations... While Russia sanctions the wallets of its own people by banning food imports.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: September 07, 2014, 04:03:51 pm »

To be honest, it's also hurting European food producers. Belgian pear producers just asked (and got) the right to kill 30% of their crops to prevent prices crashing too much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: September 07, 2014, 04:04:08 pm »

it kinda shows that he's preparing for a big war, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: September 07, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »

I can't decide whether you're being a conspiracy theorist or not, though there is the lobbying problem.

Also, you mispelled 'American' twice :P

It's not exactly a secret https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130415/03110122707/spain-admits-new-copyright-law-is-designed-to-keep-it-off-uss-naughty-list.shtml

For instance in the above and well documented case, US governement kept a list of "bad" countries" given by hollywood, whose copyright law weren't suitable for american interests.

The echelon project isn't a secret anymore, and there has been a recent scandal when we dicovered that every channel of communication of the greman governemnt were being recorded.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: September 07, 2014, 04:25:31 pm »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: September 07, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »

I can't decide whether you're being a conspiracy theorist or not, though there is the lobbying problem.

Also, you mispelled 'American' twice :P

It's not exactly a secret https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130415/03110122707/spain-admits-new-copyright-law-is-designed-to-keep-it-off-uss-naughty-list.shtml

For instance in the above and well documented case, US governement kept a list of "bad" countries" given by hollywood, whose copyright law weren't suitable for american interests.

The echelon project isn't a secret anymore, and there has been a recent scandal when we dicovered that every channel of communication of the greman governemnt were being recorded.

Yeah, those corporate lobbys have way too much influence. While I'm sure there are some actual legitimate lobbys with good intent rather than corporate intent, the lobby system needs to be either removed or changed dramatically. Heck, maybe our entire government system needs a rewrite to remove that sort of influence.

Regarding the lobby stuff, I don't know whether other governments have stuff like that.

Edit: ECHELON and NSA sound more like survelliance and spying crossing the line in more ways than one than corporate stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:28:17 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: September 07, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »

Ah yes because the US promotes it's own industries in one regard, all of US national policy can be extrapolated from that point.  It's like how the US supports spaceflight so we can conclude that the entire American scientific agenda is putting people in orbit.

Is it just me or is the anti-american crowd getting lazier?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:30:22 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: September 07, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »

I think you're confusing ECHELON with PRISM, the American Internet surveillance system disclosed by Snowden.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30:25 pm »

Ah yes because the US promotes it's own industries in one regard, all of US national policy can be extrapolated from that point.

Is it just me or is the anti-american crowd getting lazier?
I see you have intentionally went around the lobbying issue. And international global surveillance.

Is it just me or is the pro-american crowd getting lazier?
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10453 on: September 07, 2014, 04:32:22 pm »

Westerners are lazy, shocking new news development at 11

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

What IS the echelon project? All I find is a company and conspiracy theories.

That's the thing they use to sift through your mails, calls and whatnot, I believe.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1393