Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750790 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9840 on: August 28, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »

As for help from Europe.... All I ask for - Real Sanctions, just to show that international law is a real thing
How about weapons? Or even direct assistance with our air force - if Russia claims not to be involved, they can't shoot them down from within Russian territory, making air superiority much easier to achieve...

Hmmm...... *imagining a fantasy scenario of hundred of NATO aircrafts arriving in Easterm Ukraine, bombing Russian columns and then European politicians saying something like "what NATO aircrafts? Those were Ukrainian"*
That would be rather nice, yep

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: August 28, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

Wasn't the same happening in 2008, during the war with Georgia?
No, not like this. As I said before, opinion about Georgia was a lot more divided.

I still think the annexation of Crimea is the beginning of a new phase in East-West relations, any progress since the 80s that is not lost already, is completely at risk.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:52 pm »

Or just simply accept that russia is probably too strong to do anything meaningful against it. it didn't take long for Obama to forget about georgia and lift the sanctions last time and it probably wouldn't take long for the next in line to do so again after russia gets what it wants from ukraine and without a meaningful aid, russia will get what it wants.

The west can't hinder russia without taking sacrifices and the current western leadership is simply not strong enough to do so.

And if anyone thinks that being in NATO is sufficient for protection, well, that is still remain to be seen. i am skeptic about it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »

Hmmm...... *imagining a fantasy scenario of hundred of NATO aircrafts arriving in Easterm Ukraine, bombing Russian columns and then European politicians saying something like "what NATO aircrafts? Those were Ukrainian"*
That would be rather nice, yep
"I don't know what happened, my Ukrainian neighbour needed to mow his lawn, so I loaned him my aircraft carrier and 4 battalions of Leopard 2s..."

And if anyone thinks that being in NATO is sufficient for protection, well, that is still remain to be seen. i am skeptic about it.
That is the reason behind the recent NATO plans to station more troops in the East. If it was proven that NATO can't defend it's members, the West has basically collapsed.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9844 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »

*has lost.

Romney's seemingly paranoiac 2012 utterance that "Russia is America's greatest geopolitical foe", which he received much criticism for, well. Maybe we should start ramping the distrust back up. Start stationing troops around Russia's borders. Stop cooperating. Bring our nuclear programs back up to speed. Try to hem you defensively-expansionist buggers in.
Does that prospect make you happy?

Oh how naive we were to think you guys weren't our enemies.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: August 28, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »

I won't be happy until I see some real action from you guys.

If it'll again be empty words then... I mean, I can't make a revolution in a country whose army is constantly winning! It's the basics!
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: August 28, 2014, 03:12:10 pm »

Besides the joking, I wonder if you really want to go back to before 1989, when both sides were starinng at each other, waiting for a move. You're probably too young to remember that, wasn't that fun.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:48 pm »

I mean, I can't make a revolution in a country whose army is constantly winning! It's the basics!
Dude, I really don't know what to think of you - could you post your views on Russian domestic policy? That would help a big deal.

Maybe we should start ramping the distrust back up. Start stationing troops around Russia's borders. Stop cooperating. Bring our nuclear programs back up to speed. Try to hem you defensively-expansionist buggers in.
Yes, in principle, but it doesn't have to be so crude. Why don't we try to make Ukraine a second Afghanistan for the Russians? Soldiers go in, corpses come out, and slowly the Russian people start to realize that expansionism is not a winning strategy anymore.

We just have to supply weapons and intelligence. The Ukrainians will then be more than capable of handling the rest.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: August 28, 2014, 03:28:41 pm »

I am not familiar with the culture in Ukraine, but if its similar to the western european culture, then, from my perspective (i could be very wrong), its not one that could sustain the number of casualties such a war would require.

After all, for each american corpse in afghanistan, there are around 10 locals corpses.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:32:13 pm by burningpet »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:04 pm »

If it'll again be empty words then... I mean, I can't make a revolution in a country whose army is constantly winning! It's the basics!

You do realise you aren't talking to any representatives for any western/Nato/EU countries, right? Nor any personifications of those countries?
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: August 28, 2014, 03:34:20 pm »

You do realise you aren't talking to any representatives for any western/Nato/EU countries, right? Nor any personifications of those countries?
Wait, this isn't the Hetalia Roleplay thread?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: August 28, 2014, 03:36:35 pm »

I am not familiar with the culture in Ukraine, but if its similar to the western european culture, then, from my perspective (i could be very wrong), its not one that could sustain the number of casualties such a war would require.

After all, for each american corpse in afghanistan, there are around 10 locals corpses.
Ukrainians waged guerrilla warfare against Stalin's USSR for seven years. We will see if that spirit is alive. I think it is
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »

My views on domestic policy is:

Putin is 61. I am 20. He'll die sooner than me. So I should see that I could live in Russia after Putin dies.

Current Russian government is mostly a parasitic bunch of people, who are not really concerned with the interests of Russia and Russian people. So I must be preparing myself and the society around me for the eventual revolution against this government and installation of a more close-to-people system.

I believe that means of production, economy, is what determines the most likely stable political system. Currently the means of production in Russia are mostly a bunch of stuff left from Soviet times. The current governmental ideas of "implementing" "innovations" are a corruption-fest. So I must design and constuct, with help of my future engineering skills and some general knowledge, new means of production, which must:
1) not rely on big capital investment to work (big capital attracts corruption like a honey attracts flies)
2) not rely on exotic materials which are hard to get, or require something to be made at a specific place (so that it can work everywhere independently)
3) not rely on anything related to oil or gold (these things attract semi-criminal oil companies, and those are Bad News)

4) must be able to refine materials with physical universal methods - so plasma microwave technology + magnitostriction
5) must be able to produce everything commonly needed (except food) - so 3D printing technology or something like that. Also desalination of water - very important.
6) must be able to be powered everywhere - so an improved solar technology + something based on water.

My father has already started to work on this area, but I fear that because of his major illness he will not be able to finish that work in time. So then I must be able to take the flag and make it so.

After designing and implementing that kind of system widely, the revolution will inevitably start.

I feel that it's the only way we can finally deal with the corruption: by taking away the ability of government, or corporations, to control people's lives. If I can do it, it'll be the end of capitalism as a system where one group, owning the means of production, rents it to the worker, and can control the worker's life.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:54 pm »

Hi all, I'm back. Glad to see the thread ain't locked.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9854 on: August 28, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »

Hi all, I'm back. Glad to see the thread ain't locked.
Hello again Sheb. Thread isn't locked but it isn't really doing anything useful in my opinion either.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1393