Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747694 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8475 on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:08 am »

I like Scots Wae Hea, it seems appropiate, I'm a fan of the french anthem though which is very bloody and nationalistic.
I'd like to claim Scottish ancestry but there's also English in my father and mothers side and Irish too, but I'm rather well assimilated into Australian/British identity so I can't really claim any singular heritage.
My surname is scottish though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: July 31, 2014, 05:34:54 am »

I propose this as the new Scottish national anthem.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41:47 am »

Scots Wha Hae here, too.
The choice really depends on how you see your country, and its mythos of origin: Modern France was forged in the blood of the revolution, and that's still a big part of the country's self-image, so they have the Marseillaise. England with its tradition of the stiff upper lip and carrying on through (and, in no small part, their role in WWII, at least in modern times) has God Save The Queen. (Technically the UK, but I shouldn't have to explain to Owl why I said England.) The US still draw on their pioneer and revolutionary days; unlimited possibilities, which had to be seized and defended. And so their whole anthem is a question: Is our flag still there? Because the mythos of the US doesn't include a guarantee for the US's survival, as opposed to that of many 'ethnic' nations in Europe. Japan's anthem is friggin' awesome, but I know too little about the country to say much about it. Germany... Germany is the really interesting case. Our mythos of origin is - naturally - WWII and the Holocaust; we're not the Reich any more, we're the BRD. But we still have seen the destructive potential that sleeps within us; we know what horrors we have to keep in check. And so our anthem doesn't talk about military prowess, or the defeat of a foe, or even how we're very good at producing wine (we're not, and that's what the Nazis did). It's wholly focused on the people living together, and the prosperity brought about by that. Pretty much my favourite anthem, really. We even put the first line on our soldiers' belts apparently, so they'll know what they're fighting for: Unity, and rule of law*, and freedom. And so they'll know what they're not fighting for, I guess.

What's your Scotland, Owlbread?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:09 am »

Ooh, free anthem analysis.

What do you have to say about this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braban%C3%A7onne

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: July 31, 2014, 07:22:27 am »

Heh. Our anthem is about how we're totally the legit side in the eighty years war and that the Spanish king sucked at being a king.

Totally relevant, I swear.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:02 am »

Our national anthem (Finland) is just a lot of praising on how nice our nature is and how we like to praise it. Kinda meta, really.

I prefer the Finlandia Hymn, which is all about a new dawn of independence and has a lot of lovely light and defiance motifs. Makes me all tingly and patriotic inside.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:37:20 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:46 am »

I never realized how jingoistic the Canadian anthem is.

"Home and native land," so sayeth the colonial nation. "True patriot love, in all thy sons command."

"Stand on guard for thee."

It's almost... American in it's jingo.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:56 am »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:44:50 am by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: July 31, 2014, 08:57:35 am »

I think it's the mostly "home and native land" that's sticking in my craw. We're an immigrant, multicultural nation, and damn proud of it. Not only is that single line erasing that vein of open-armed pride, but it's also erasing the... you know, *true* natives. "You're technically native, but we're the REAL natives here in Canada! We made it what it IS!" kind of bullshit. Reminds me of the "Bring civilization to the savages" bull.

S'why the "making citizenship a privilege not a right" sticks in my craw, too. Making it harder to become a Canadian citizen, and making it possible to lose that citizenship, goes against the core of Canada.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: July 31, 2014, 09:06:39 am »

I think it's the mostly "home and native land" that's sticking in my craw. We're an immigrant, multicultural nation, and damn proud of it. Not only is that single line erasing that vein of open-armed pride, but it's also erasing the... you know, *true* natives. "You're technically native, but we're the REAL natives here in Canada! We made it what it IS!" kind of bullshit. Reminds me of the "Bring civilization to the savages" bull.

S'why the "making citizenship a privilege not a right" sticks in my craw, too. Making it harder to become a Canadian citizen, and making it possible to lose that citizenship, goes against the core of Canada.

Yes, I agree with you completely there. I'm not such a fan of the "native land" bit.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44:09 am »

"Scots Wha Hae" is a fairly aggressive way to go. It's heavy on the 'unite to stand against the Other' and not overmuch personal introspection. If most Scots prefer it then I suppose it fits, though personally I like "Is There For Honest Poverty" and "Freedom Come All Ye" rather more as songs.

And really, if you're going with national-identity-via-war and struggles against the English, then you should use Donald McGillavry instead. It's bouncier and has a nice Jacobite flavor to it =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:49 am »

Pff.

Damn Jacobites :P

Give me a Williamite any day!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:06 am »

@Owlbread: I usually listen to this one university choir version from Spotify. If that doesn't work, this appears to be the same (I'm not a fan of the video background, but oh well).

I figured you'd like it, at least words-wise. Lots of talk about breaking free of the night of oppression and slavery; your problem isn't the Russian Empire, but I'm sure you can appreciate it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:19 am »

Ukrainian anthem fits the current situation in Ukraine sooooo well. Real pre-2003 lyrics, not a castrated official version

Unfortunately I know no good rhymed English translation of lyrics and my Google skills failed to find one I consider to be not bad

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:14 am »

Nice anthem.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1393