Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748295 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6900 on: June 23, 2014, 10:49:35 am »

Most Christians would seek to further Fundamentalist law.
An 80% majority, and I can't see it not being done.
I could not concur more. Down with the religious! If they ever obtain a majority in our state, we will be forced to labour under the yoke of their tyranny!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: June 23, 2014, 10:55:45 am »

Now I have image of Asian Scots in my head...
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:57 am »

Most Christians would seek to further Fundamentalist law.
An 80% majority, and I can't see it not being done.
I could not concur more. Down with the religious! If they ever obtain a majority in our state, we will be forced to labour under the yoke of their tyranny!

Of course there are those who wish Fundamentalist law. But it's not quite so common or as fervent as state-accepted murder.

And it does say in their Holy Book to spread their law. Muhammad in particular was very...eager...to see it done, and many Muslims idolise him.

But yes, it's quite complicated. I have looked, but I am at best a proficient and am not a master searcher...if someone can show me a country with 80% or above Muslim population which doesn't have Sharia in some way, I shall concede the point.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:43 am »

Also, unrelated to current discussion but relevant to the thread.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17:18 am »

But yes, it's quite complicated. I have looked, but I am at best a proficient and am not a master searcher...if someone can show me a country with 80% or above Muslim population which doesn't have Sharia in some way, I shall concede the point.
Eh, have a look at that map again, the countries in green are for the most part more than 80% muslim and don't have Sharia:
A Muslim majority country doesn't have to have Sharia law. There are many that do not.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:39 am »

It's an estimation, but close enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Guinea

I stand corrected, my apologies :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:21 am »

On another note, is there a reason the EU gets blamed for everything that happens the UK.

I mean, it seems like the European Equivalent of the Thanks-Obama meme

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6907 on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:18 am »

If only they didn't make up 2% of the population. I wish they made up 80%.
'Ermagerd the asians are invading us to wipe out white people they are committing genocide ermagerd kill all of them so they cannot genocide us!' would probably start spouting out all over Scottish parts of the internet if that happened.
OWLBREAD is a CODEWORD for GENOCIDE OF THE SCOTS
supporting OWLBREAD is supporting GENOCIDE OF THE SCOTS
STOP the GENOCIDE OF THE SCOTS now

On a more serious note, are we going to ignore how unethical and disastrous it is to forcefully change the ethnic fabric of an entire nation to pursue a political goal? I am disagreeable towards this notion because it has not historically worked; one only has to go to tower hamlets or whitechapel to see why creating entire enclaves of cheap immigrant underclass will crash and burn into squalor.

This can be avoided if the secular nature of the state is enshrined in a written constitution. Your argument is pretty bogus - the same could be said if the population was 80% Christian that it would lead to the implementation of homophobic laws as in Russia or a variety of other unpleasantries that we experienced in the 19th century.
Secular constitutions within fundamentalist countries will bow down to fundamentalist democracy; Christian Orthodoxy and Islam are two such examples where freedom cannot stand up to staunch morals.

On another note, is there a reason the EU gets blamed for everything that happens the UK.
I mean, it seems like the European Equivalent of the Thanks-Obama meme
No, we also blame Cameron, Blair, Brown, the Labour and Con parties, America, Germany and London.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:08 am »

Particularly Blair.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:59 am »

Quote from: Th4DwArfY1 link=topic=122786.msg5402385#msg5402385
Of course there are those who wish Fundamentalist law. But it's not quite so common or as fervent as state-accepted murder.
That's... really kind of a recent thing, though. Also, many non-Islamic countries such as the Unites States still practice state-accepted murder. Many countries still have a number of explicitly Christian laws still on the books, although they don't get their own uniquely Christian courts, Christian legislation is not really all that uncommon at all, though in most Western liberalized societies it's seen as broadly unacceptable and is dying off - but that's just as true of liberalized Islamic countries as it is liberalized Christian countries. Sure, countries enforcing explicit Canon Law (the Christian equivalent of Shari) are certainly a lot less common than they used to be during, say, the Inquisition, and the UK abolished it's own Church courts in the 1700s, but it's a battle that was definitely fought and won through extensive effort.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: June 23, 2014, 11:57:23 am »

Also, unrelated to current discussion but relevant to the thread.

You can always rely on YouGov to give wonderful results for the No Campaign, no matter what. Labour are usually quite careful about referring to their results though because they are favourable to the Tories. Other recent polls have shown small rises in support for independence.

Now I have image of Asian Scots in my head...

Would you like a video in your head too?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:20 pm »

No doubt you can rely on the source of your polls to give favourable results, too. No poll is completely reliable.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

No doubt you can rely on the source of your polls to give favourable results, too. No poll is completely reliable.

Actually we can't. Until this year the polls have been pretty damned unforgiving.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: June 23, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »

Quote from: Th4DwArfY1 link=topic=122786.msg5402385#msg5402385
That's... really kind of a recent thing, though. Also, many non-Islamic countries such as the Unites States still practice state-accepted murder. Many countries still have a number of explicitly Christian laws still on the books, although they don't get their own uniquely Christian courts, Christian legislation is not really all that uncommon at all, though in most Western liberalized societies it's seen as broadly unacceptable and is dying off - but that's just as true of liberalized Islamic countries as it is liberalized Christian countries. Sure, countries enforcing explicit Canon Law (the Christian equivalent of Shari) are certainly a lot less common than they used to be during, say, the Inquisition, and the UK abolished it's own Church courts in the 1700s, but it's a battle that was definitely fought and won through extensive effort.
Actually, Henry VIII took courts away from the Church, unless it changed back after that, which I haven't head of. I think it was the Act in Submission of the Clergy. At first, it was accepted by the Convocation of Canterbury "In so far as the law of Christ allows" but that only lasted until he bribed/bullied them. A few months later, he could review and veto all church law.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: June 23, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »

Well, most of the polling sites Owlbread hands me / posts in the thread are... aggregate polls? A listing of the many different polls. And YouGov is consistently 5, 7, 10 points more in favour of No than any of the other polls.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1393