Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748974 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6765 on: June 17, 2014, 02:14:13 pm »

Apparently a gas pipeline (a parallel one, not the main line) exploded in Ukraine and the Ukraine officials seem to be jumping to the conclusion that it was sabotage.

IMO it is more likely to have been either poor maintenance or someone trying to tap into it illegaly. Plus two loud booms and a loss of pressure could mean any number of things. (I'm not on Russias side, just the don't-jump-to-conclusions side)

http://online.wsj.com/articles/explosion-rips-through-gas-pipeline-in-central-ukraine-1403013593

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/209765.html

http://rt.com/news/166532-gas-pipeline-blast-ukraine/

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »

I'm not an Irishman either, and I can comment on it.

And Irish Republicans most definitely are concerned with "the two political forces that govern" Ireland. You know, given they want to abolish one?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: June 17, 2014, 02:55:13 pm »

Apparently a gas pipeline (a parallel one, not the main line) exploded in Ukraine and the Ukraine officials seem to be jumping to the conclusion that it was sabotage.

IMO it is more likely to have been either poor maintenance or someone trying to tap into it illegaly. Plus two loud booms and a loss of pressure could mean any number of things. (I'm not on Russias side, just the don't-jump-to-conclusions side)

http://online.wsj.com/articles/explosion-rips-through-gas-pipeline-in-central-ukraine-1403013593

I don't believe that such coincidence can happen. Ukraine decided to get gas through Slovakia and the next day an  "accident" happened on a gas-pipe leading to Slovakia

Besides Russia Today arrived ten minutes after the explosion. Explosion that happened in the middle of nowhere. Possible only if they knew beforehand.

And such methods aren't new for Russia - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/international/europe/23georgia.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:56:54 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: June 17, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »

I don't believe that such coincidence can happen. Ukraine decided to get gas through Slovakia and the next day an  "accident" happened on a gas-pipe leading to Slovakia

Besides Russia Today arrived ten minutes after the explosion. Explosion that happened in the middle of nowhere. Possible only if they knew beforehand.

And such methods aren't new for Russia - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/international/europe/23georgia.html?_r=0

You're jumping to conclusions. Also, it wasn't exactly 'in the middle of nowhere', the nearest settlement is about a kilometer away and explosions like that can be heard for miles around.

Yes I mixed imperial and metric measures into the same sentence. Point is that you're jumping to conclusions. Decaying pipelines rupturing or due to human stupidity happen here in the US, so it could very well be that. Sabotage hasn't been ruled in, nor has it been ruled out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:18:47 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: June 17, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »

I'm not an Irishman either, and I can comment on it.

And Irish Republicans most definitely are concerned with "the two political forces that govern" Ireland. You know, given they want to abolish one?

You are an Irishman in that you come from the island of Ireland, just as I am a British person in that I come from the island of Great Britain. In contrast I have only been to a few places in the South of Ireland on about 5 occasions at the very most. You have greater experience of Ireland than me in that sense, given that you are from Ireland.

But when Irish Republicans speak of "Ireland", that "Ireland" is an entity that is rather different to the two political forces that govern the island.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:35:22 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: June 17, 2014, 03:53:55 pm »

Did you just call someone from Ireland a Irishman?

That doesn't sound like something he's going to appreciate :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: June 17, 2014, 04:02:11 pm »

"I don't, I always think of the island. "Ireland" as an entity is greater than the two political forces that govern it"

Yes, they think of Ireland as an entity controlled by one political force rather than the other. Hmm.

And Dutchling, I'm not an Irishman in that I have no cultural connection to Ireland. No religious connection. No blood connection (Only a slightly bigger chance than the rest of the U.K. for having Irish blood, given my mother is of Scottish descent and my father born in England) no political connection in that I live in Northern Ireland and hold a British rather than Irish passport. An Irishman is one who has "Irish" on his birth certificate. I do not.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:04 pm »

Yes, they think of Ireland as an entity controlled by one political force rather than the other. Hmm.

Actually most of them want to destroy the Republic and form a new one. Sinn Fein and the rest of them all support the creation of a completely new state. The most hardline Republicans refuse to recognise the existence of the Republic.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:16:27 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: June 17, 2014, 04:15:46 pm »

And Dutchling, I'm not an Irishman in that I have no cultural connection to Ireland. No religious connection. No blood connection (Only a slightly bigger chance than the rest of the U.K. for having Irish blood, given my mother is of Scottish descent and my father born in England) no political connection in that I live in Northern Ireland and hold a British rather than Irish passport. An Irishman is one who has "Irish" on his birth certificate. I do not.
That's why I said it, I wasn't being sarcastic or anything

edit: removed smiley for clarity
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:43:41 pm by Dutchling »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: June 17, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

...Listen, if I say I'm not an Irishman, the least you can do is respect that. Repeatedly calling me something I specifically say I'm not is more than a tad annoying.

No you don't have to be Irish to be catholic, you're quite right. However...it does happen to be the dominant religion in the Republic. So.....yeah.

Blood matters more or less depending on the person. I have about as much ancestral connection to Ireland as you do. Whether that adds anything to my argument is purely up to you.

Yes, quite right again. I do live in Northern Ireland. Hence, if you wish, you can also call me Northern Irish as well as British. Much like I may call you Scottish as well as British.

You to accept your Irishness
Your presumption being I am deluded? Do tell me how your views are instantly superior.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: June 17, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »

No you don't have to be Irish to be catholic, you're quite right. However...it does happen to be the dominant religion in the Republic. So.....yeah.
I don't see how that means anything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: June 17, 2014, 04:52:18 pm »

I was just stating a difference. Much as I did when I referenced ancestry.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:36 pm »

The only Irish test that matters;

Do you have an Irish accent?

If not, can you fake convincingly?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: June 17, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »

No, and no.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: June 17, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »

Then not Irish. Case closed.

*And that's the closest I'll come to discussing Irish politics as an Englishman...*
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1393