Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744461 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6630 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

From what you've posted about Russia and the Soviet Union (and your own nostalgia), it might make an interesting read for you - what Germany did right and wrong, and what mistakes the other states made. Germany is, in a way, very similar to Russia! Sadly, I don't know which book to recommend.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: June 14, 2014, 11:27:51 am »

Hell, Russia even has an exclave in East Prussia they could conceivably want a corridor to ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: June 14, 2014, 11:36:58 am »

Hell, Russia even has an exclave in East Prussia they could conceivably want a corridor to ;P
Only this time we would have to tunnel through at least 3 different countries engaging all of NATO's forces by the way 8)

Not that such a thing is/will be possible.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: June 14, 2014, 11:46:05 am »

Spoiler: flameish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey. HEY! You don't go around insulting Mr. Chaplin. Chaplin is off-limits.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: June 14, 2014, 12:03:56 pm »

From what you've posted about Russia and the Soviet Union (and your own nostalgia), it might make an interesting read for you - what Germany did right and wrong, and what mistakes the other states made. Germany is, in a way, very similar to Russia! Sadly, I don't know which book to recommend.
You can replace Germany and Russia with any two european countries that are older than 200 years and make this sentence sound as sensible as it is now. That's what history is about, I guess.
Yes, I should defintely do some foreign history reading. Luckily, I now have more free time, since I graduated and my college problems are almost settled by now, all hail Russian free education system.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:06:35 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: June 14, 2014, 12:06:57 pm »

Only this time we would have to tunnel through at least 3 different countries engaging all of NATO's forces by the way 8)
...or through only two NATO countries, with the entrance point being in Belarus.
If I recall correctly, Zhirinovsky suggested building such a tunnel quite a while ago.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: June 14, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »

As an economist (well, grad student), I disagree with this.  While Hitler's intent was clearly not good economic management, he did pursue sound economic policies until around '37 or so (I don't remember the exact year here).  At that point he started using deficit spending to stimulate an already full employment economy but that was domestic borrowing.  Remember, Germany was extremely constrained in it's ability to secure foreign credit.  Remember that it was the Soviets who were recipients of German credit, not the other way around.  And while it was probably "unsustainable" the eventual outcome would just be a fiscal tightening in a full employment situation, i.e. a better outcome then what France, UK and the US were experiencing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: June 14, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

It's bad, guys who did that aren't smart and the action will do nothing good for our country... But I am amazed that the embassy wasn't touched before today. Ukrainians are patient.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: June 14, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »

Honestly, I was expecting burned out wrecks or something. Just turning them upside down merely seems worth mentioning with what's going on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: June 14, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »

These cars look surprisingly undamaged.

Looks like they were turned very carefully.

EDIT: This actually might be a provocation from the Russian side.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: June 14, 2014, 01:21:56 pm »

Or a wierd flashmob.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

Or a wierd flashmob.
A flashmob would never turn the cars without damaging them even a little.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: June 14, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »

Or a wierd flashmob.
A flashmob would never turn the cars without damaging them even a little.
A carefully prepared wierd flashmob?
Sigs

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6643 on: June 14, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »

Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: June 14, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »

As an economist (well, grad student), I disagree with this.  While Hitler's intent was clearly not good economic management, he did pursue sound economic policies until around '37 or so (I don't remember the exact year here).  At that point he started using deficit spending to stimulate an already full employment economy but that was domestic borrowing.  Remember, Germany was extremely constrained in it's ability to secure foreign credit.  Remember that it was the Soviets who were recipients of German credit, not the other way around.  And while it was probably "unsustainable" the eventual outcome would just be a fiscal tightening in a full employment situation, i.e. a better outcome then what France, UK and the US were experiencing.

Hitler's economic policy was actually pretty terrible if improving the lot of the German people was the goal, and it wasn't any better before the Second World War. What did he do?

-Paid women in the form of vouchers to stay at home instead of looking for work. Since you have to be looking for a job to be considered "unemployed", this improved Germany's unemployment rate substantially on paper. In real terms, however, this basically cut German production of goods substantially (women that would have had actual jobs were now sitting around at home) and cut the German workforce, without actually getting many new jobs created (since women were looking for different jobs from men, so those unemployed German men's prospects weren't much improved).

-German unions were basically destroyed by raids and made powerless, so they were no longer capable of demanding higher wages, which resulted in more hiring. This is in contrast to the situation in most other countries affected by the Depression, where unions held wages higher for existing workers, resulting in higher unemployment.

-Those remaining unemployed were basically forced to take jobs by the government that often paid less than they had received from welfare previously, with the alternative being the threat of getting tossed into a concentration camp. So these several million Germans were nominally employed, but were literal wage slaves that were barely getting by.

So yeah, the Germans had "full employment", though that's pretty meaningless when it comes through literal slavery to the state. Source is Richard Evans' Third Reich trilogy, in case you're wondering.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1393