Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743735 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5550 on: May 19, 2014, 05:28:57 pm »

BTW Owlbread:
I feel I should add that I hope I'm not insulting you when I say that Scots are not Celts, I was just pointing out that any sort of national identity can be deconstructed ultimately, most of them very easily. Nationality has a lot to do with gut feelings and that is not wrong per se, but one needs to be aware of it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:06 pm »

Much like the Middle East happens to have tons of oil and tons of instability?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: May 19, 2014, 05:31:11 pm »

It's funny, no one seems to associate what America is doing now with what happened years ago. Britain saw a struggling country which need stability, and gave it to further their own interests. America..."stabilises" countries that happen to have valuable raw materials. I wonder if future history will deride Americans for this.

Oh come on, most of our wars aren't even about oil!

Look at Vietnam, did they have oil? no.

The second Gulf War probably was, and the first one, while definetly in an oil rich region, wasn't wholly about oil.

Edit: Inserting quote for context.
The Vietnam war isn't a good example for you to use. France wanted its colony back. Vietnam didn't want to be a French colony. America wanted European friends against the soviet union. America fought, in this case, not for material wealth but political power.

Which disproves your original point as stated. Because if you broaden it to include 'or for political power', then you can say the same about every single country ever.

Yeah, I was responding to the 'natural resources' bit and it sounded like he was doing the 'America did ___ war because oil!' thing.

The Middle East just also happens to be a very problematic region.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: May 19, 2014, 05:38:25 pm »

Spoiler: In reply to Sock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: In reply to Sock 2 (click to show/hide)

I'll try to keep this discussion spoilered so I don't drown out the Ukrainian news.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:27 pm »

You guys ALREADY drowned out the Ukranian news. The bit I posted and the bit G.I. Guardian posted got drowned out two pages ago.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

You guys ALREADY drowned out the Ukranian news. The bit I posted and the bit G.I. Guardian posted got drowned out two pages ago.

By the time I finished typing that message, I was informed that 7 other posts had already been made.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »

It's funny, no one seems to associate what America is doing now with what happened years ago. Britain saw a struggling country which need stability, and gave it to further their own interests. America..."stabilises" countries that happen to have valuable raw materials. I wonder if future history will deride Americans for this.

Oh come on, most of our wars aren't even about oil!

Look at Vietnam, did they have oil? no.

The second Gulf War probably was, and the first one, while definetly in an oil rich region, wasn't wholly about oil.

Edit: Inserting quote for context.
The Vietnam war isn't a good example for you to use. France wanted its colony back. Vietnam didn't want to be a French colony. America wanted European friends against the soviet union. America fought, in this case, not for material wealth but political power.

Which disproves your original point as stated. Because if you broaden it to include 'or for political power', then you can say the same about every single country ever.
So you're saying that there is no correlation between American wars and natural resources? Because I'm saying there is. My statement on Vietnam was merely saying that it hardly paints a vision of a glowing America either. What Britain did helped countries, but it was still wrong in the act of doing it. America is doing what the British Empire did, and still deriding colonial Britain when it is doing everything short of taking control themselves. And whether America is even helping is debatable.

America doesn't go to war exclusively for material gain. But it sure as hell helps. Much like the British Empire didn't go to war solely for material gain, I might add. So, what connections may an historian draw between the two? Either redeem colonial Britain or knock America to the same level of derision.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: May 19, 2014, 05:49:09 pm »

I'm not saying there was absolutely NO correlation between American wars and natural resources. Some obviously were (The Mexican-American war for example, pure landgrab), others were purely political or something. Though the picture gets much more complex in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Also, if you're defining land as a natural resource, we're talking about every country ever, again.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:50:44 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: May 19, 2014, 05:53:50 pm »

I'll try to keep this discussion spoilered so I don't drown out the Ukrainian news.
Pretty sure you actually want to be drowning that out, to keep the thread from igniting and Ukrane burning down a previously workable thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: May 19, 2014, 05:55:46 pm »

It is interesting how Ukrainian-related unrest is spreading as much on these forums as in Ukraine. Obviously, the solution is to invite Putin to send Russian moderators peacekeepers to restore order.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »

I venture the theory that this is, in fact, a European politics thread, and thus there are elements in the current discussion that are, in fact, off-topic, and thus should be moved elsewhere; perhaps to the appropriate threads, or even dropped entirely, but clearly this is not the place.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: May 19, 2014, 05:59:10 pm »

It is interesting how Ukrainian-related unrest is spreading as much on these forums as in Ukraine. Obviously, the solution is to invite Putin to send Russian moderators peacekeepers to restore order.

He did just that in Crimea. :P

I venture the theory that this is, in fact, a European politics thread, and thus there are elements in the current discussion that are, in fact, off-topic, and thus should be moved elsewhere; perhaps to the appropriate threads, or even dropped entirely, but clearly this is not the place.

The current discussion kind of bounced from British Empire to American wars.

Reposting what I had said earlier but got lost in the language discussion.

Anyways, back to news stuff, evidently there are going to be thousands of observers for the vote coming up sunday, so, I wonder how many will be in the eastern part of Ukraine? I can understand them not being there for the separatist referendums, but this one is for the whole country.

The protestors (was going to say rebels, but um, protestors is a less, um, hot, way of describing them) have said multiple times that they were going to try and sabotage the vote in some way or other.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »

He did just that in Crimea. :P

The current discussion kind of bounced from British Empire to American wars.
Well the moment it did that it became off-topic now didn't it? It's not like we only have one politics thread.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »

To be Celtic has always had little to do with blood and far more to do with language, culture and at one time religion.
Well, the interesting thing is though, most of what we associate with Celtic culture today is actually coming from the British Isles. We know far less about the continental Celts, since they didn't write anything down. In terms of culture, the Alpine regions might be much more "originally Celtic", we just don't really know.
I identify as German (the language obviously, plus what genealogical evidence I have), but I live in the former tribal territories of the Treveri and Mediomatrici, so I might as well claim Celtic heritage too. This has become somewhat of a thing here in recent years btw, since Celtic heritage is not seen as tainted as claiming a Germanic one.

I know through DNA testing that my paternal ancestors came to Britain 7000 years ago as part of the big Neolithic migration that wiped out and displaced most of the original British Mesolithic people.
That stuff is really interesting, I should do that too someday. It's important to remember though how mobile people used to be even in ancient times. I only have reliable genealogical records back to the 1650s, and my ancestors from just these few centuries come from all over the place. So while I'm likely related to people who lived where I live in the Neolithic period, other ancestors might be from anywhere else in Europe, at least in theory.

You haven't offended me at all, don't worry.
Good then, if I attempt to poke holes into your nationalism, it is just because I'm interested in concepts of national identity, their history and mechanics. It's interesting how your particular brand tries to bridge the gap between traditionalism (or cultural heritage) and civic nationalism with a good portion of idealism. I find that likeable actually, I'm just a sceptic by nature. Maybe it works better with Scottish relative isolation (compared to the mess that is the continent).

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: May 19, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »

Spoiler: In reply to Sock (click to show/hide)

Here is an interesting article about the most likely Ukrainian President-to-be, The Chocolate King.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:42:32 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1393