Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745087 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5280 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »

Glosnass is the russian satelite navigation system. This should not interfere with normal operations, though this might reduce it's quality.

Meanwhile, europe is moving on with it's own satnav system.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

Glosnass is the russian satelite navigation system. This should not interfere with normal operations, though this might reduce it's quality.

Meanwhile, europe is moving on with it's own satnav system.
China has its own system, called "Beidou".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »

Inb4 China gets their own version of GPS up. Having redundancy with multiple satellite navigation systems is nice, but you can only fit so many satellites in the needed orbits.

EDIT: ninja'd while posting.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: May 13, 2014, 02:22:04 pm »

Space is big. No shortage of that soon.

The problem Is garbage and collisions. Also broadcasting freqeuncies.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: May 13, 2014, 02:24:40 pm »

GPS is a military tech first. And it is essential for modern warfare. No surprising that everyone who can afford it will get it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: May 13, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

Curiously, Russian journalists from LifeNews stumbled upon Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopters near Kramatorsk today... bearing UN peacekeepers insignia. Officially, no UN peacekeeping missions have been established in Ukraine.

My question is whether they found the pilots or at least any guards. Also, that looks like its in the middle of a random field, completely unattended.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »

Curiously, Russian journalists from LifeNews stumbled upon Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopters near Kramatorsk today... bearing UN peacekeepers insignia. Officially, no UN peacekeeping missions have been established in Ukraine.
Very easy to explain. Our best helicopters and pilots are employed at various UN peacekeeping missions and there are no time to repaint them

But lifenews.ru....  I suggest to ignore that source, it is unreliable even by Russian standards.

(If someone is curios to know my opinion on any Ukrainian events feel free to send PMs. I am trying to refrain from posting Ukraine related stuff here)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: May 13, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »

My question is whether they found the pilots or at least any guards. Also, that looks like its in the middle of a random field, completely unattended.
The video in the link shows Ukrainian soldiers standing around the helicopter.

Very easy to explain. Our best helicopters and pilots are employed at various UN peacekeeping missions and there are no time to repaint them

But lifenews.ru....  I suggest to ignore that source, it is unreliable even by Russian standards.

(If someone is curios to know my opinion on any Ukrainian events feel free to send PMs. I am trying to refrain from posting Ukraine related stuff here)
Life News receives information from their journalists running around the combat zone filming things, so I wouldn't be too dismissive of their reports (minus the sensationalism, because they are a private channel, and proceeding with caution because they are part of a media from one of the countries involved in the crisis).
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: May 13, 2014, 03:14:44 pm »

Might I politely request that the Ukrainian/Russian discourse be stopped? Not that I do not want to engage in such discourse, but we all know where it is going to head - to a heated discussion which will lead to this thread being locked like all other threads on the topic recently, and I for one do not want that.
This is a blank sig.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

@Guardian G.I.: oh, I didn't know whether they were Ukranian soldiers or not. UR has a point though, maybe they were being used for an UN operation or are on loan from the UN and just haven't had time to paint them.

I initially thought that maybe it stood for Ukranian Navy, but then again, those aren't exactly naval helicopters and because it would be more likely to be in the Cyrillic alphabet rather than the Roman alphabet.

Might I politely request that the Ukrainian/Russian discourse be stopped? Not that I do not want to engage in such discourse, but we all know where it is going to head - to a heated discussion which will lead to this thread being locked like all other threads on the topic recently, and I for one do not want that.

I'm not seeing any right now in this thread. I don't want to see it explode in flames either though and I think all of us are trying to avoid a heated discussion.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:23:48 pm by smjjames »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: May 13, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »

The point was that you're pretty much directly ignoring a moratorium on discussion of the issue imposed by Toady himself.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »

Yeah. Why don't we do that mailing list idea we discussed earlier? Just send me an e-mail address by PM. So far only two persons did.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »

We're trying to avoid the parts that lead to the heated discussion. Though he probably meant it to be avoided until things cool down. It was also a few people who were stoking the flames :P

Anyways, theres a new peace deal, not sure if I should link it (theres nothing inflammatory about it and its from ABC news), basically it's like Genevas 'strongly worded letter' telling everybody to stand down and also no referendums for right now, but more proactive with everybody actively involved. I think Russia is supporting it, but I don't think Putin has said whether he accepts the roadmap.

Of course though, it requires the cooperation of all parties, including the protestors and Ukraines fumbling authorities (the articles words, not mine)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: May 13, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »

Putin accepted Geneva too, it didn't mean a thing.

And yeah, Ukraine was operating 4 Mi-24 in support of MONUSCO in the DRC. I guess that one is one of them that they didn't have time to repaint.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1393