Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751731 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4185 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:14 pm »

Well, yeah I guess the idea is to keep the pound temporarily, whether the rUK agrees or not, and then get the Euro. Since the EU has still left everything open in regards to independence, it is completely unclear what the prospects regarding membership and the Euro really are. It's not unrealistic I think, it's just that nothing is guaranteed at the moment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »

The EU is committed to accepting any European nation that meets the criteria. It's in the treaties somewhere. Scotland is definitely European and definitely meets the criteria, as it is in already.

Apart from the UK doing a dick move and blocking Scotland's accession (and frankly I can't imagine this) they won't have any problem. And that's if they get out in the first place. The argument that both the rUK and Scotland are successor states of the UK is pretty strong*. This is a secession, not an independence. Either both are ins, or both are outs, and no one wants the UK out of Europe.

* I know Barroso said something, but he has no legal authority and AFAIK, no legal basis.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: February 28, 2014, 12:30:48 pm »

Yup, there is no legal basis in anything currently, since there is no precedent, and nothing any EU politician has said so far is an offical EU position. That's the problem, while I don't think Scotland's prospects regarding the EU are as bad as some want them to believe, they have nothing in writing they can count on either.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: February 28, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »

Spain would probably have reservations about accepting Scotland into the EU, what with the whole Catalonia thing going on.

While the referendum in Catalonia isn't legally binding, they might want to send a message to them that it won't be easy being on their own.

Basically everything about the independece debate in Scotland, on both sides, is them saying "We don't know what's going to happen if we win, but we're clearly better than the other side/the other side don't know wtf they're talking about."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »

Actually, Rajoy said that while he thinks Scotland should apply again, Spain won't block Scotland from joining.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:29 pm »

I missed that, even though he said it 3 months ago  :-[

There's probably at least one EU state that isn't happy about granting a seceding state membership though. Admittedly I'm paranoid of this, as a pro-indy Scot who likes the idea of the EU.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

Who? Scotland is small, rich, conform to every EU rule... And Spain is the member state with the worse secession problem after the UK. If they're fine, everyone will be.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: February 28, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »

Actually, Rajoy said that while he thinks Scotland should apply again, Spain won't block Scotland from joining.
... to my knowledge, he hasn't clearly said he'd block it, but he certainly hasn't said he wouldn't, and has stated that going back to the Union might be "difficult". Take it as you will. The man is a pathological liar.

http://www.publico.es/politica/485444/rajoy-sobre-una-escocia-independiente-y-mirando-a-catalunya-quedaria-fuera-de-la-ue
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: February 28, 2014, 01:00:48 pm »

Oh my, you're right.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »

Side note: Let's say Scotland gets it's own currency. And can't use the name pound because... reasons. Shh, it doesn't matter.

What's it called? The Gael? :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: February 28, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »

What about the Pound Scotling :v?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: February 28, 2014, 01:23:26 pm »

For merit reasons it obviously should be called the Owlbread, with 10 Owlcrumbs adding up to 1 Owlbread, provided the metric system is used.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: February 28, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »

Owlbread Units
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »

Well, yeah I guess the idea is to keep the pound temporarily, whether the rUK agrees or not, and then get the Euro. Since the EU has still left everything open in regards to independence, it is completely unclear what the prospects regarding membership and the Euro really are. It's not unrealistic I think, it's just that nothing is guaranteed at the moment.
This is unfortunately, impossible. Even assuming that Scotland accedes to the EU without problems, any would be Eurozone participant has to be part of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism II (ERMII) for at least 2 years. Since this basically amounts to pegging the currency to the euro, it therefore requires Scotland to have their own currency, for at least 2 years.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:17 pm »

A very late ptw
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1393