Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751293 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4020 on: February 14, 2014, 05:50:47 am »

It's a rather symbolical thing though. Also, an international first.

Link

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:29 am »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: February 14, 2014, 08:28:23 am »

Yeah, should be noted that the previous law was only for people 18 and up, so the Dutch already had normal euthanasia for 12+. I think one of the Nordic country got something similar too.

Apparently the MPs didn't applaud after the vote as is the custom. I find it refreshingly respecting of the gravity of the legislation.

Also for Belgian Constitution Nerds (If you're going for the hipster underground hobby, that's the one!) there is the question of whether King Philippe will sign the legislation. Back when we legalized abortion, our King at the time refused to sign it for personal reason, so he was declared "unfit to reign" for 24 hours while someone else could sign it. Will something similar happen? Join me at the Belgian Constitution Nerds International Headquarter (my bedroom) for coverage!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:31:55 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: February 14, 2014, 09:26:22 am »

Another case of a classic press overreaction. It's actually a good law for a very rare exception. German press wasn't as ridiculous about it as some US reactions I've seen. At least it brought on a bit of a debate about euthanasia, which the population supports but politicians mostly oppose.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: February 14, 2014, 09:31:42 am »

Do they? I must say, to me euthanasia is a lot like gay marriage. It's totally normal, and I don't get why the rest of the world is still waiting to just legalized it and move to some more serious stuff.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: February 14, 2014, 09:36:07 am »

I don't have any European polls on the subject at hand, but for the record.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:50 am »

Yeah, it is somewhat of a hot topic here. Polls show that 70% of the population would support it and there are plenty of Germans seeking assisted suicide, mostly in Switzerland. Politicians are against it for the most part, especially the Christian Democrats, but most of the other parties too. At least some of it probably has to do with our history with euthanasia. With our massively aging population the topic will remain on the agenda though. It's probably something like abortion or gay marriage that takes a few decades to sink in until it's fully legalized.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4027 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:03 am »

Do they? I must say, to me euthanasia is a lot like gay marriage. It's totally normal, and I don't get why the rest of the world is still waiting to just legalized it and move to some more serious stuff.
Because there are a lot of genuine moral issues with euthanasia as opposed to gay marriage, and some people would demand more thought put to ending human lives than an apathetic 'get on with it' attitude?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: February 14, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »

Frankly, as long as it's implemented right I don't see any moral issue with euthanasia.

To give an exemple, here are the Belgian guidelines:
-Euthanasia has to be a repeated demand of the patient.
-Doctors AFAIK don't have to perform euthanasia if they don't want to.
-Several doctors have to testify that the patient suffer greatly (physically or psychologically) with not hope of cure or improvement.

Taaadaaa!

Seriously, why would anyone oppose this? Why would people want to make sure people have a long, undignified, painful death rather than the one of their choosing?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: February 14, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

The contra argument I find the most valid is that sick elderly people might feel pressured to commit suicide rather than become a burden to their families.
I agree though that if implemented right, with psychological and physiological evaluations, this shouldn't really be an issue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: February 14, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »

Oh, you need to go through a psychologist too. Plus, this is Belgium, we got state-paid healthcare and pensions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:36 pm »

Well, we got that too, at least partially, but geriatric care is expensive as hell and the state will try to get some money back from the family if there is one. With our demographics this is becoming a big problem. Also in my experience people in geriatric care have a tendency to get depressed. Still that should not be too much of a problem with evaluations and otherwise careful implementation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:33:40 pm by XXSockXX »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:03 pm »

Oh, and depression ain't a good enough cause. But if someone wants to die, why should we stop them?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »

We shouldn't necessarily in all cases. We just have to make sure that the decision is as close to "free will" as it gets, that means not influenced by mental problems like depression or outside pressure. Which is what the evaluations are there for. Otherwise we'd have to euthanize too many moody teenagers. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4034 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:28 pm »

Seriously, why would anyone oppose this? Why would people want to make sure people have a long, undignified, painful death rather than the one of their choosing?
-Patients can often not be in their right mind when encountered with a disease or ailment that causes them great distress.
-Some people object to any doctors becoming involved in any death-dealing business.
-Patients could become distrustful of medical professionals if they can hold the authority to killing you, good death or no.
-Professionals can sometimes make the wrong call. Death cannot be undone.
-Doctors struggling with sparse resources could endorse euthanasia as a policy to save costs.
-Illnesses with 'no hope of recovery' today could be easily reversed with the cures of tomorrow.

Oh, and depression ain't a good enough cause. But if someone wants to die, why should we stop them?
Because people change their minds often, but death is so final.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1393