Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751227 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3990 on: February 13, 2014, 10:05:17 am »

Well, it's going to be a mess, because suddenly if you want to bid on a Finnish contract that require sending staff there, you'll have to change all your employee's contracts to fit Finnish law, so you'll not bother to bid and Finnish firms we alone enjoy the market.

Why should anyone be able to work in Finland without following Finnish laws?
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:00 am »

No one should, but it's still a sort of protectionism. It's just one of those case where protectionism is okay.

scrdest: Yeah, but letting immigrants work in a country without respecting Finnish labor law would be unfair competition.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: February 13, 2014, 10:22:39 am »

No one should, but it's still a sort of protectionism. It's just one of those case where protectionism is okay.

scrdest: Yeah, but letting immigrants work in a country without respecting Finnish labor law would be unfair competition.

I would respond, but you already did in the first sentence.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:38 am »

mother of fuck, the balkans are apathy central, what sort of bullshit was that privatization up to that they managed to spark anything

* LordSlowpoke fondly recalls the existence of a bosnian in this very thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: February 13, 2014, 10:58:53 am »

Apathy central? They were at war not 20 years ago! Anyway, I'm with Owlbread* on this one: Bosnia-Herzgovinia (BiH) should have been split long ago. Its structure make it ungovernable, and it was only put together because the international community is afraid of nation-state dividing.

¨* Technically Owlbread hasn't answered yet, so I used my best estimate of my position. My apology if BiH is the only place on earth were he doesn't support separatism. :p

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:17 am »

Here's an interesting link: RT compares anti-Soviet propaganda art in Western media from 1980 and anti-Russian propaganda art from 2014.
For those allergic to Putin's bloodthirsty gay-lynching websites, here's simply anti-Soviet propaganda from 1980 without English commentary.
One of magazine covers from that era even predicted the Olympic rings gaffe from the Sochi 2014 opening ceremony that made all Western progressive community label it as utterly ruined.

Remember, it's the Jews that are making Russia hostile to foreigners, arrest dissidents all around the country, and makes them unprepared for hundreds-of-billions-of-dollars-in-budget Olympic events. I think they must've spent all that money on the troops, because it wasn't spent in the half pipes or the hotels.

I'd argue the 1980 fear campaign was less necessary, but it's quite telling that Russian reactionaries will label any criticism of Putin's perfect Russia as western propaganda [Especially blaming it on the ever-present 'Jewish/Liberal/US media'].

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeews! Jewish propaganda!

We actually need more Israeli propaganda/state TV news stations, to show these people what actual Jewish mud-slinging looks like. Trust me, we have plenty of criticism to lay at the feet of Putin's perfect Russia and they should be glad we don't.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:36:03 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: February 13, 2014, 11:29:26 am »

Here's an interesting link: RT compares anti-Soviet propaganda art in Western media from 1980 and anti-Russian propaganda art from 2014.
These are all private artists, a few of them even fully independent. "Propaganda" is not really the right word.
One of magazine covers from that era even predicted the Olympic rings gaffe from the Sochi 2014 opening ceremony that made all Western progressive community label it as utterly ruined.
That's not a prediction. America boycotted the Olympics then, the rightmost ring is the red ring, the red ring has been thought of to represent North and South America. And that's certainly not why Western progressives are against the Olympics. Western progressives are against the Olympics because it has a history of being a human rights travesty performed for the sake of nationalist dick-waving. Putin's Russia is not the first offender, and it will probably not be the last.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: February 13, 2014, 11:42:31 am »

It's also amusing that "the West" would be pulled up for using seemingly anti-Soviet style propaganda in 2014 when Guardian consistently compares us to Nazi Germany.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:44:03 am by Owlbread »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: February 13, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

I'll remind my Jewish cabal to lay off the anti-Scottish propaganda, my bad Owlbread.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: February 13, 2014, 11:48:05 am »

No, keep it going, those Scots are probably crypto-Stalinists. The Daily Mail told me so.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: February 13, 2014, 11:51:42 am »

but then, take one look at nazi germany and what is has accomplished

the nazis said they'll get germans breathing space? check. they said they'll fix the economy? a-yup. said economy was fixed in an unsustainable way in general but hey it worked (also there was this thing about losing the war but who cares about that? they weren't in power after the war)

now look at contemporary governments. sure thing populism still happens, but they don't end up doing jack shit most times

the nazis have several good reasons to be shunned, but we could learn a thing or two from them nowadays - something along the lines of marginalizing political opponents so you can actually build what you were almost-elected to build, or occultism. i'd donate to a campaign to bring an occultist government into power for shits, giggles and the tolerance they'd have towards whatever whoever would want to practice

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:18 am »

No, keep it going, those Scots are probably crypto-Stalinists. The Daily Mail told me so.
They told me that I should have had cancer fifty times by the time I was three due to the stuff I eat.
You see, this is why it's important to listen to the Daily Mail. I have mine hand-delivered by non-English British couriers every day, all the way across the Atlantic. If the ink isn't still wet when it reaches me I have them beaten.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1393