Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750246 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3675 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:12 am »

I don't see a signature there...
Do we even have French people? Lots and lots of Benelux guys/gals, some Germans, some English folks, most Eastern European countries are represented as well, there's at least two Spanish guys - but French?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: January 31, 2014, 07:08:42 am »

There is a setting to turn off signature images, you must have that on.
I can't think of any French... Pretty sure we had somebody from Switzerland? Was that here or somewhere else?

In other news:
I like them, I'm considering learning the language, but their fishing policies are just so horribly dumb!
Ok, I'm interested. What smells fishy?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:02 am »

we need a person from france to tell us about the miracles that happen on a daily basis in french politics therefore stop lurking french persons

before you hear what sounds fishy, i'd just like you to know that i updated my signature

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: January 31, 2014, 07:51:23 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen a french user or two here. I just guess, if they are anything like their president, they are too busy cheating on their spouses to bother with mundane politics threads.  :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: January 31, 2014, 09:42:12 am »

Actually, the french President is not married, so he was cheating on his girlfriend, not his spouse. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:31 am »

We had a Frenchman up by the upper boards, but he's stopped posting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:44 am »

Well, I am french, though I remember there was another one.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: January 31, 2014, 01:53:13 pm »

In other news:
I like them, I'm considering learning the language, but their fishing policies are just so horribly dumb!
Ok, I'm interested. What smells fishy?
What do you mean?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: January 31, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

Presumably he's asking what exactly is wrong with Norwegian fishing policies. I don't know the specifics, but it doesn't really seem like a reason not to learn the language, anyway?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »

I still think that even if the Scottish independence movement manages to win the hearts of all Scots that are currently undecided, it will still eventually get 47-49% of the votes at best, like the Quebec independence movement at a similar referendum in 1995.
Quebec is a bit different from Scotland. Quebec basically wants all the benefits of being an independant country, while still retaining all the benefits of being a canadian provence. At least that's how it was explained to me while I was in canada.
Quebec pretends to support independence, but most are basically full of bluster. They realized a while ago that if they pretend they're going to leave, they can extort the other provinces that actually make money in order to get special subsidies, exemption from Federal policies, disproportionate benefits from Federal policies, and so on. If they left, the biggest annoyance would be figuring out how to keep the Maritime provinces from getting screwed by nonsense like Quebecois tariffs or Quebecois tolls on "foreign" transportation.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: January 31, 2014, 04:15:00 pm »

Presumably he's asking what exactly is wrong with Norwegian fishing policies. I don't know the specifics, but it doesn't really seem like a reason not to learn the language, anyway?
I don't know the specifics easy, but basically they don't want to have a quota like the European one, which itself is actually set too high.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:21:53 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: January 31, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »

I still think that even if the Scottish independence movement manages to win the hearts of all Scots that are currently undecided, it will still eventually get 47-49% of the votes at best, like the Quebec independence movement at a similar referendum in 1995.
Quebec is a bit different from Scotland. Quebec basically wants all the benefits of being an independant country, while still retaining all the benefits of being a canadian provence. At least that's how it was explained to me while I was in canada.
Quebec pretends to support independence, but most are basically full of bluster. They realized a while ago that if they pretend they're going to leave, they can extort the other provinces that actually make money in order to get special subsidies, exemption from Federal policies, disproportionate benefits from Federal policies, and so on. If they left, the biggest annoyance would be figuring out how to keep the Maritime provinces from getting screwed by nonsense like Quebecois tariffs or Quebecois tolls on "foreign" transportation.
From the Quebec side, it'd also be rather amusing to see them suddenly have a bout of separatism on its own, as certain First Nations and Anglo-Canadians of Quebec have little desire to join them in independence (which I'm sure everyone already knows; they've made their opinions on that quite vocally).  The Maritimes could also deal with it in part by going through the United States - most US-Canadian trade is duty-free, and was even before NAFTA. 

EDIT:
Oh, say, while we're all talking about secession and devolution in Quebec and Scotland, has anyone thoughts on the big fuss in Spain over the planned Catalan referendums?  It's really interesting to see it in contrast to the Scottish referendums; London lets Scotland go on with it with a minimum of trouble, while Madrid screams bloody murder, threatens Catalonia with being forced to go through the EU processes again (and by extension Scotland, because Scottish accession on the grounds of the United Kingdom's entry sets a terrible precedent for Catalonia; this position is also officially supported by Brussels), and considers the planned referendums illegal and has warned that it will block any attempt at them. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:49:01 pm by Culise »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: February 01, 2014, 07:40:45 am »

Yeah, Cameron's position on Scotland was definitely on of his good points.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: February 01, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »

Another poll from a different pollster (one of the more pessimistic ones about the Yes campaign's chances) shows a 5 point swing towards Scottish independence. This seems to be a trend, rather like the start of the SNP's steady swing to victory in 2011.

As I said earlier though I will wait until the end of this month, early March or so before I start calling anything.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:44:29 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 1393