Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750193 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3630 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:50 pm »

How can something so sexy be so full of logical fallacies and appeal to emotion?

Well, Steven Moffat is the head writer for Doctor Who now. I'll show myself out.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: January 26, 2014, 09:11:58 pm »

How can something so sexy be so full of logical fallacies and appeal to emotion?

I have asked myself this question many times.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: January 27, 2014, 05:59:14 am »

So I looked up polling data on Scottish independence on Wikipedia. It isn't looking good for our doughy friend - the 'no' option has a pretty consistent lead of about 20%.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: January 27, 2014, 07:19:36 am »

I am posting this from my phone but I will do my best to contribute.

The situation is actually far closer to 30% in favour, 40% - 45% against. Not 20%. It's no secret that the Yes campaigners have been fighting an uphill battle for 3 years, if not longer. What has happened in recent months however has been quite reassuring. In December according to the latest YouGov poll support for independence went up by 1% for the first time in the campaign. Support for the Union however has been softening into don't-knows.

I was buoyed enormously by this because it was the first positive thing I'd heard on the polling front.

Within a month a different pollster produced these delightful results showing support for independence had risen by 5% from 32% to 37% while the no vote fell from 49% to 44%. Normally I don't link to that newspaper because it is very biased against independence but even they had to report the good news.

If polls next month also show a rise, and the month after that, the shift will be almost exactly the same as it was in 2011 when the SNP jumped from 30% to around 44% in the space of 5 months, winning the election.

If they don't show a rise, nor do they the month after, my heart will be in my throat and I'll have to consider the future carefully.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:09 pm »

I'm betting a lot of those No's are knee-jerk reactions to the pollsters and they're not actually the people who would bother going out to vote. Whether that's enough to tip the scale is another thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: January 27, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »

Well, it gets more interesting if you look at the 3 answers questions. Because then you get results like :

30% Independence, 32% further devolution, 29% status quo.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »

I'm betting a lot of those No's are knee-jerk reactions to the pollsters and they're not actually the people who would bother going out to vote. Whether that's enough to tip the scale is another thing.
So what we need is a poll that has the options of "Yes, Independence", "No, Union", and "No, Fuck Off".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »

You can roll a d3 instead of making polls you know.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »

So what we need is a poll that has the options of "Yes, Independence", "No, Union", and "No, Fuck Off".
Well, that would help. After all, IIRC, the referendum isn't mandatory, so a whole lot will be decide by whom can convince people the most to vote. The pro-Unionist rely partly on those who prefer the status quo, and getting those to vote can be troubling.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 27, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

Exactly.  It's that very notion that keeps me going. It can take quite a lot to get people out to actually vote No.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: January 27, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »

I think you ought to focus more energy on the "This is a vote to separate from the U.K. This is not a vote for the SNP to run that separated country, that comes later."

Because I'm sure you have been, but I STILL see people going "I don't want a SNP run Scotland, so I'm voting for No."
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

Just wait 'till we drain the oceans.
The Netherlands shall conquer all. No more independent Scotland.

Enjoy it while it'll last though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

I'm wondering since a timeline I read had them breaking away in a black swan event (hilariously resulting in a UK intact other than losing England), what's the state of the English Nationalists? I mean, BNP are fascist and the English Democrats just want a parliament, are there really any?
I think you ought to focus more energy on the "This is a vote to separate from the U.K. This is not a vote for the SNP to run that separated country, that comes later."

Because I'm sure you have been, but I STILL see people going "I don't want a SNP run Scotland, so I'm voting for No."
It's kind of silly, since an independent Scotland would probably see SNP either being relegated to the major left wing party or collapsed entirely. If you hate SNP you should most definitely be voting Yes.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 27, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »

HYPOTHETICALLY:

If Doggerland were to resurface, who would be able to claim it and colonize?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 27, 2014, 02:33:57 pm »

HYPOTHETICALLY:

If Doggerland were to resurface, who would be able to claim it and colonize?
America, obviously. I think that's fair payment for preventing the rise of New Netherlands plus 237 years of interest.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1393