Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749616 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3225 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »

The BNP share many platforms with Svoboda

Well, we are officially allies with BNP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_European_National_Movements
Svoboda is not a full member only because Ukraine is not in EU

But if you ask my personal opinion, that's one of the worst moves my party ever made. Associating with all that guys from the list, does nothing but create a negative image for us in EU. We do need allies, but better no allies than  guys like that...
No one cares that we are in the alliance not because we share ideology with all members, but because we see a similar vision of future EU. (Wee see Ukrainian future in EU, but not in the Liberal-USSR style EU. Direction were EU is going) People only see that we are associated with dangerous marginals like Fiamma Tricolore and assume that we are like them....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:40:25 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:28 am »

everyone in there is calm and cozy and then jobbik breaks out the all caps

hungary stronk

What's the meaning of this?

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:09 am »

Scandinavian countries haven't had colonies, Eastern Europe did not take part in colonialism, either...
HEH HEH... But I agree with u anyway.
When it comes to European Parliament thingy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also I'm pretty sure it was my turn in discussion about UPA but I'm not sure if I should necro it :P
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 15, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

Also I'm pretty sure it was my turn in discussion about UPA but I'm not sure if I should necro it
I am more worried by the fact, that UPA the second edition is becoming more likely with every day
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:14 pm »

Scandinavian countries haven't had colonies, Eastern Europe did not take part in colonialism, either...

My brutalised, castrated, tortured and enslaved ancestors disagree greatly, as do many hundreds of Inuits and Native Americans, not to mention a number of Slavs/Finns/Sami etc.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »

castrated
What.

And let's not forget that the only nation on this planet that has managed to hold on to its colonial territories is - you guessed it - Russia!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:47 pm »

What.

Yeah that's what the Vikings did to a lot of them before they sold them, and worse.

And let's not forget that the only nation on this planet that has managed to hold on to its colonial territories is - you guessed it - Russia!

Or the USA, but its colonies were obtained in fairly unorthodox ways. Russia was in a good position though because it could just expand its border and take in all those territories - Britain had to try to explain having territories on multiple continents, that's quite a predicament.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:26:45 pm by Owlbread »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:47 pm »

My brutalised, castrated, tortured and enslaved ancestors disagree greatly, as do many hundreds of Inuits and Native Americans, not to mention a number of Slavs/Finns/Sami etc.

Castrated people tend not to have too many descendants.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »

castrated
What.

Great Britain, France, the Netherlands, and so on have plenty of colonial possessions still, like Gibraltar, various Caribbean and South Pacific islands, etc
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »

Owlbread's ancestors: So fertile even lack of required reproductive organs won't stop them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:18 pm »

castrated
What.

Great Britain, France, the Netherlands, and so on have plenty of colonial possessions still, like Gibraltar, various Caribbean and South Pacific islands, etc
I'm not sure if you can consider those proper colonies. Gibraltar has something like 99% British identification (sorry Owlbread, The Social and Rational State of Gibraltar isn't happening anytime soon.), and most of the islands have home rule.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:51 pm »

Owlbread's ancestors: So fertile even lack of required reproductive organs won't stop them.

This is true, but remember how ancestry works. Not all of my "ancestors" would have been captured I don't think, just the ones on Dumbarton Rock when the siege was over. There were probably more on the mainland. Plus we're all Jock Tamson's bairns so I can claim ancestry with practically any Briton from back then in an arbitrary and distinctively Scottish fashion.

I'm not sure if you can consider those proper colonies. Gibraltar has something like 99% British identification (sorry Owlbread, The Social and Rational State of Gibraltar isn't happening anytime soon.), and most of the islands have home rule.

They're pretty much colonies but they're just really quite happy about it. Like Hawaii or something, barring some groups of native Hawaiians of course (e.g. Braddah Iz). I remain hopeful though about the future Social and Rational State of Gibraltar. One group of people however that are very unhappy about being colonised and pushed off their land are the Chagossians, a group whose plight the UK government is still trying to brush under the carpet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:17:16 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 15, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »

One group of people however that are very unhappy about being colonised and pushed off their land are the Chagossians, a group whose plight the UK government is still trying to brush under the carpet.
One of the greater benefits of knowing you is learning about all sorts of obscure marginalized ethnic groups. Wow, that's really fucked up. At least most colonized peoples continue to exist in their homes with the possibility of future independence, I can't really think of any other cases like this one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:14 pm »

The Chagossians are being shafted in an unusually terrible way for the 20th/21st centuries. I think a lot of people in the UK would be very surprised to know that something like this was going on but I only discovered it by stumbling across it one day on Wikipedia.

This made my blood run cold:

Quote from: Wikipedia
On December 1, 2010, a leaked US Embassy London diplomatic cable dating back to 2009 exposed British and US calculations in creating the marine nature reserve. The cable relays exchanges between US Political Counselor Richard Mills and British Director of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Colin Roberts, in which Roberts "asserted that establishing a marine park would, in effect, put paid to resettlement claims of the archipelago's former residents." Richard Mills concludes:

Establishing a marine reserve might, indeed, as the FCO's Roberts stated, be the most effective long-term way to prevent any of the Chagos Islands' former inhabitants or their descendants from resettling in the [British Indian Ocean Territory].
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:25:11 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 1393