Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750714 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2835 on: December 29, 2013, 03:17:25 am »

What about hydro? Anyway, ain't Costa Rica already at 100% renewable? Sure, they got it easy, with all their hydro power but still.
Technically they can do that, but 30% of their installed generating capacity is fossil fuels, and they're a net energy importer.

Yea, the risk to birds is somewhat minimal. While you do see the occasional death, they are nothing next to a population of feral cats.
Also, the cure for wind turbine syndrome apparently seems to be money. When it is on somebodies land and they get paid for having the turbine there, they never contract these strange physics defying illnesses, but everybody else who doesn't get a slice of the pie seems to.
Bats on the other hand tend to take massive population losses for windmills.

Also, I didn't even know about this Wind turbine Syndrome thingy.

Anyway, Scotlands renewable plans are , IIRC, some hydro, some tidal, and lots of wind power, and importing electricity if that doesn't work out.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: December 29, 2013, 04:29:58 am »

Relying on the rest of the UK? Ironic... :P
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 29, 2013, 04:38:11 am »

Or on Iceland. Iceland has massive geothermal potential.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 29, 2013, 08:24:57 am »

But Iceland also have 1000 km of oceans surrounding it. It would be about as easy as bringing Algerian solar power to France.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 29, 2013, 08:34:01 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50:55 am »

But Iceland also have 1000 km of oceans surrounding it. It would be about as easy as bringing Algerian solar power to France.
Just another undersea cable. Would cost about €2.1 billion. Link
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:52:45 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 29, 2013, 09:15:05 am »

That's before cost overrun though. And is about what the UK as a whole invest in green energy every year.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 29, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »

Compare and contrast to swastika-waiving marches in Lviv
Russian television is so Russian. :)))
Well...
Oh right - that is technically not swastika. Just a symbol that looks like swastika being used by nationalists...

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 29, 2013, 01:28:32 pm »

Oh right - that is technically not swastika. Just a symbol that looks like swastika being used by nationalists...
It's called a Wolfsangel, not a Swastika at all  ;D.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »

Still used as a facist symbol though.
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 29, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

I bet they're just werewolves. Stop being bigots people.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 29, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »

Werewolves can be facists too, you know. Stop pigeonholing them. :P
This is a blank sig.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 29, 2013, 01:49:12 pm »

Still used as a facist symbol though.
Eh, yeah, that was my point.

Or maybe they're just very passionate about wolf hunting.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 29, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »

So I hear Scotland is looking for 100% renewable energy by 2020. Is this true? More importantly, is it feasible? Will our Scottish friends become world leaders on action against climate change?

It is very true and very feasible. I think we're at 40% just now and by 2020, god willing, we shall be independent and we will gain greater levers to implement that kind of reform so the whole 40% thing may jump quite a bit post 2016. The energy resources we're looking at predominantly are hydroelectric, wind and tidal. Some small amounts of geothermal/solar investment (i.e. you can get a special grant for solar panels on your house) but not much beyond that because, as you fellows know, Scotland sees little sunlight.

I think we have one of the largest tidal capacities in Europe, indeed we have the third largest coastline and the only two countries with larger coastlines are Norway and Greece. Much of Norway's coast is covered in ice and is inaccessible, Greece is a mediterranean country with negligible tidal capacity. I think there's an explosion in tidal energy waiting to happen, really. The SNP are going to let the wind turbine project run its course and take us as far up to the 100% mark as they can, then tidal will become the new focus.

Perhaps it will really kick in when whatever devolved government governs the Western Isles by then start to understand that Scotland relies on them a lot more as an independent state. You know, it's not like we can just let them sink or swim or decline as a home for English retirees - they need to be working at top capacity to ensure the state is supported adequately. They're already on that course now, I'm sure it will intensify as time goes on. Same thing goes for the Northern Isles and practically every part of the country.

Relying on the rest of the UK? Ironic... :P

It'll be a cold day in hell when we start relying on imported electricity.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:14:21 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 29, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »

a) Thank you for admitting that you lied about swastikas.
b) Well, if you call few dozens of provocateurs "a march" then Russian press is doing a very good job.
We are rather busy catching guys like that with real swastikas and other nazi symbols on just every mass action. Especially on UPA marches.
c) That's a logo of Social National Assembly, it's not even a party, it is some very weird organization. It is virtually unknown and has nothing to do with the "Svoboda" , but who cares, right? When one can say that Ukrainians voted for exactly that "party".
d) That was a logo of my party (Svoboda. I am a member of it), yes it's rather stupid logo and I see no logic behind making that I and N (Idea of Nation. That was an official meaning ) logo combined in a way that it looks like Wolfsangel . The logo was abandoned before I joined the party (in 2004 IIRC). Think why our old logo is choosed by those guys
e) Can you link to some serious news sources? BBC. CNN. Reuters, Dailymail, Spiegel or any other serious and respected media source not some Smallish unknown websites. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1393