Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746312 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2295 on: December 01, 2013, 05:21:15 pm »

I've got to say that as much as I like his music I'm really not a fan of Bob Dylan himself, as a guy I mean. I don't like his greed or some of the stuff he's come out with like that utter bollocks about "smelling blood".

There is also the unfortunate metaphor of Jews apparently being future predators capable of sensing Nazi blood like some kind of Semitic-Shark.

I laughed at that, thanks.

Am I supposed to be able to smell the English blood or something if I meet people whose ancestors tried to subjugate mine? Or can I smell Viking blood if I meet people whose ancestors kidnapped, castrated/blinded and sold my ancestors into slavery after destroying their capital? Maybe Tamils will be able to smell Sinhalese blood after the genocide that's been carried out on them over the last few years. Or maybe not - because it's a pile of wank. The cosmos doesn't operate on smells.

I would say it's the opposite almost. They are simply the most recent shit. Everyone in that whole damned peninsula has done bad (excluding you Jopax, obviously.). It's just one of those places where the less you think about the history the better.

They also carried out by far the most systematic and atrocious ethnic cleansing the Balkans had seen for a long time. They suffered terrible atrocities themselves but they were unsurpassed in that regard, and were indisputably the chief instigators of the wars. That doesn't make it clear cut of course.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:36:20 pm by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: December 01, 2013, 05:51:47 pm »

That's odd. I've never heard of non-Serbs being seen as bad guys in that area.
In WW2 Croatian militias fought on the German side, while the Serbs fought the German occupation. Hence the association Croats=Nazis, Serbs=Jews in that Dylan quote.

Anybody smelling anything on me?  :P

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: December 01, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »

What I was refferring to by that last statement was the most recent war of the 90's. Since that is still a pretty vivid memory (with many places bearing obvious scars, to say nothing of the people who survived it) and they are considered the ones who started it once Yugoslavia started to fall apart for the umpteenth time.

The stuff that came before isn't forgotten, but most of the people that lived trough it are either dead, or the memory has been pushed back because of the war (prison camps don't seem as bad when you're in a death camp).

E: To the sock ninja.
It's hardly as clear cut as that, it's best to consider it one giant free for all with no rules whatsoever.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »

Some satire (I believe): Why America must say no to Scotland's Independence.

"Could Scotland Become the Next Cuba or Afghanistan?"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:58:30 pm by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: December 01, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »

The Ustasi were so nasty that they unnerved SS political attachés. See, they lacked all that nazi paraphernalia of gas chambers and whatnot, so instead they rounded up serb civilians
and used this thing

to cut their throats, one by one, which didn't prevent them from achieving staggering bodycounts (the total tally after the war was on the order of half a million serbs, plus several thousand other minorities, IIRC).
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: December 01, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

That rhetorical question is probably one of the funniest things I will see today.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:02 pm »

Its even funier that 95% of the replies to that article don't seem to recognize that its satire.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:12 pm »

Some satire (I believe): Why America must say no to Scotland's Independence.

Their boys are not meek, but because they lack a normal family structure, they’re often morally undeveloped. The love of God and Faith found in America is unheard of in Scotland. Without morality, many Scots tend to lack vision. Few are truly ambitious, and this can also be traced back to widespread use of government handouts. This dilemma is manifested in a physicality that is often flabby and slow. They do not prize a healthy and muscled physique as boys do in the United States.
I don't see how this could be satire.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: December 01, 2013, 06:11:43 pm »

In WW2 Croatian militias fought on the German side, while the Serbs fought the German occupation. Hence the association Croats=Nazis, Serbs=Jews in that Dylan quote.
It goes further back - it's to a large extent a religious issue: Croats are Roman-Catholic and traditionally German-aligned, Serbs are Orthodox and Russian-aligned. Bosniaks are Muslim, but somehow German-aligned as well... I'm not too well-informed on the matter, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »

It's hardly as clear cut as that, it's best to consider it one giant free for all with no rules whatsoever.
I know, was just pointing out where Dylan probably got this association from. Probably also explains why it's so offensive to Croatians.

The Ustasi were so nasty that they unnerved SS political attachés. See, they lacked all that nazi paraphernalia of gas chambers and whatnot, so instead they rounded up serb civilians
and used this thing
SS leaders were easily unnerved. That whole horror paraphernalia was mostly invented because they couldn't stomach seeing SS troopers doing the killing manually.

Its even funier that 95% of the replies to that article don't seem to recognize that its satire.
Probably because the other articles on that page are all serious:  http://harddawn.com/are-militant-atheists-using-chemtrails-to-poison-the-angels-in-heaven/

It goes further back - it's to a large extent a religious issue: Croats are Roman-Catholic and traditionally German-aligned, Serbs are Orthodox and Russian-aligned. Bosniaks are Muslim, but somehow German-aligned as well... I'm not too well-informed on the matter, though.
I know, the Croats vs Serbs thing must go back to late antiquity with both ending up in different Roman Empires.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: December 01, 2013, 06:21:05 pm »

On much closer inspection, the site doesn't actually seem to be satire.
I was pretty sure it was for a while, mainly because how over the top all of the articles are EG. "Are Militant Atheists Using Chemtrails to Poison the Angels in Heaven?", "Did Lady Gaga Kill Lou Reed?", "Why Is the Dark Getting Darker? Obama’s HAARP Experiments May Be to Blame". As well as the picture at the top (notable the site being "hard dawn", and a man without a shirt on having a glowing crotch.
But actually *reading* the other articles makes me fear that they don't seem to be satire at all, but rather one of the most bizzare (and far right) conspiracy news site I have ever seen. It could still be run by trolls pretending to be far right wingers though, and I really hope that it is.

It now makes me sad because I lost a little bit of my faith in humanity when it went from "Too outrageous to be serious"->"Oh god they are serious aren't they".
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »

EDIT: Doublepost.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:26:34 pm by lemon10 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2307 on: December 01, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hitler's facestabbing calculations are somewhat less humourous now.

Am I supposed to be able to smell the English blood or something if I meet people whose ancestors tried to subjugate mine?
"It was at the darkest hour in the streets of London, 20 years after the Independence event. The Scots were contained beyond Hadrian's citadel, fortified beyond measure to stop the horrors unleashed by the Cult of Alba. Yet we failed to realize some of them were amongst us. My children still ask me, where was I when the perfidious ones struck?
I was in the Tower of Ben [blessed be that holy ground] when it happened. We never realized that Scottishness could manifest in any part of Scotland - even a jar of Scottish dirt would suffice, spilling forth from some damned dimension the likes of which I never hope to see. Our soldiers and tanks were tossed like cabers in the wind, our beer devoured with an unseen fury and all of our archived Cadbury's chocolate deep fried beyond edibility and recognizability. We didn't know they could smell our blood. Nay, they could sense it. The NHS's attempt to halt the Scottish incursion by draining everyone of their blood was a Pyrrhic victory, one that caused the uncounted deaths of the many who only intended to have routine checkups for vaccination against the Scots virus. It took several weeks, but with the Netherland's help we were capable of building a sea wall around England and Wales large enough to turn the Southern Isles into a giant tea-cup, brewed with the Queen [blessed be her immortal Grace] herself. This holy Bath turned the tide and swept away all economic depression in a sea of infusion, driving away the kilted infiltrators.
Yet by the time it all settled enough to begin adding milk, millions were already dead.
If only we knew, we could have stopped it. We could have voted union.
A moment of silence please."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:36 pm »

Worth noting that the Ustashe were paid back in kind once Germany capitulated, the whole Bleiburg thing was a rather large revenge of sorts.

Also a fun tidbit is that Bosniaks are considered by most to be former Croats or Serbs who turned over to Islam after the Turks took over much of the area. The whole idea that they're a separate ethnic group sprang up rather recently as a way of political power play and further dividing the population so that they're busy fighting each other rather than noticing their country being robbed bare.

The Austro-Hungarians had it right in my opinion, we're all the same tribe of savages that kill each other over religion and that they would have none of that shit under their rule (or that they would ignore it as long as the resources were flowing, something along those lines in any case).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1393