Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743777 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1065 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »

It wasn't that higher wealth is automatically indicative of a lack of child beggars, it's that the wealthier a country is the more equal the distribution of wealth ought to be. "Ought" being the key word as in the country is, in my opinion, morally obliged to sort that shit out. Distribution of wealth in Russia is not good at all.

That said, child poverty in Russia and the former Soviet Union is apparently worse than in most Western states. Though there's kids eating from food banks in my home town, at least they aren't forming street gangs and pickpocketing people.
Is the distinction of "child" poverty really necessary? Are we supposed to stop caring the moment they become 18? Also there are Scottish gangs recruiting ten year olds. It's not all that hard to glance at the underside of a country and say you've seen all it is. Britain itself is experiencing a class divide that's growing at an exponential rate.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 31, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »

Scottish gang culture is very developed and a terrible thing to behold, my parents deal with those it leaves in its wake every day. That said, it's not the kind of thing I was imagining; not the Fagin-esque shennanigans that go on in somewhere like St. Petersburg. It certainly goes on in Ireland among the Roma, but that's a different kettle of fish really.

I suppose poverty among children is most indicative of how screwed up a society is. When kids are poor (and by poor in this case I'm meaning having little more than the clothes on your back), that can only mean a few things, none of them are good and indicate something is seriously wrong; their families are also in that position or they're orphans. Or they've been abandoned.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:07:17 pm by Owlbread »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »

I my opinion* Russia now is much less of a hellhole than in the '90s no matter how you look at it. Before Putin there were also opposition figures being assassinated and elections tampered. The line between what is considered poverty and not poverty is still an order of magnitude lower than in the West but average material wealth has been slowly improving for the last 15 years.

But if I have to be grateful for that - I would rather thank Bush Jr. for his actions that led to high oil prices. Super-wealthy oil exporting companies dribble some (after putting large portion in foreign banks of course) of that money to the rest of Russian economy and that provides unnaturally warped but overall positive impulse for the rest of the businesses. That oil reliance may cause problems down the road but when had it bothered any politician? Putin just happened to be appointed as president at the right time. It saddens me how many legally adult Russians don't see it this way.

*And in the opinion of vast majority of people who live here. This does not prevent most people from acknowledging that in several aspects the situation is as bad as always and will not improve the foreseeable future.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:40 pm »

Before Putin there were also opposition figures being assassinated and elections tampered.

And during Putin's tenure, many claim. Dubiosity abounds, but with respect to both camps.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 01, 2013, 03:05:33 am »

To me Putin belongs with the like of Chavez. A populist with an autocratic streak but support from a majority, that is terrible but still way better than anything that came before him.

The pity is I'm sure Russia has moved forward since the post-communist chaos the 90's were and they could get a much better leadership now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 01, 2013, 03:08:03 am »

Look, Putin's done well in the economical aspects of his country. No-on can argue with that. Socially and governmentally is the dubious part. It is likely true that his elections are tampered. Surely to increase the amount of votes. I think he is very popular for a reason though. He isn't trampling all over their constitution like America is ( That I know of.) he has managed to keep the Muslims, Orthodox Christians and Jews happy. That's a damn good feat. Diplomatically, he has realised the value of India in the future. Mark my words, India will be a new superpower and Putin has gone right up into it. He supposedly (This is where the real dubiousness) increased the middle class by far in size, and did a few othermgood things that I can't remember right now. However, I can see where he is trampling toes. Gays have been treated increasingly worse and worse, and he's gone to war lots. The rich are damn rich and there are a number of problems overall. (I.e, being a potential dictator.) But I think he has done well diplomatically, and economically. I haven't heard much on what else he's down wrong to his people, so maybe someone could fill me in?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 01, 2013, 03:14:28 am »

As it has been pointed out before, he was really lucky that the value of Russia's hydrocarbons export rose so much during his presidency. Russia is totally dependent on those, and needs higher and higher oil price to sustain the rest of its economy.  Other than that, he didn't do much for the economy, and it can be argued that a less kleptocratic leadership would have done much better.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 01, 2013, 03:37:09 am »

The fact that he himself owns most of the production and infrastructure for said industry and quite happily buys more up for himself and his pals at waaaaaay below market value in order to keep up the semi monopoly he/his nation has would be enough to have him out of office in any western nation.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:41 am »

Actually, he doesn't own most of it. Or rather, we don't know. Generally, it's agreed that he cut a deal with oligarch, letting them make money as long as they stay out of the political process. But then, kickbacks are expected, and I've seen estimate for his fortune ranging up to 70 billions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »

Well, Alex Salmond gave a pretty good interview to Russia Today (the most sympathetic broadcaster to independence) on the Shetland Islands discussing Scottish independence and the various merits of it. I know I've said in the past that I want to make a large, shiny thread about it in the next few months but, seeing as this would give you a flavour of the substance of the debate from that particular camp, maybe this will satisfy your curiosity a bit until then (if you have any).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:32:29 pm by Owlbread »

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 02, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »

Yeah, I meant that Russia is better off with him at helm. And for that I respect him, even if I dont agree with everything he says or does. Although it isnt too hard to be more successful than Yeltsin :).

Also dont stone me, but I think that benevolent dictatorship is the best way to ensure order in country. And order was what Russia needed the most at the time of Putins rise to power.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:23:40 pm by aenri »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1076 on: August 03, 2013, 06:13:34 am »

Berlusconi was found guilty and the sentence was 'executed' within the next day.

Fun fact: the average to 'execute' a sentence in Italy is generally of a month's length of time, or in some case (like throwing someone out of a house) seven years.

Funnier fact: Had Berlusconi not accused the judges of being a bunch of tyrants more interested in politics than their jobs, he wouldn't have been sentenced at all.

Funniest fact of note: The Judges ARE a bunch of tyrants interested in politics. Then again, so are the Italian Politicians in General.

Ah...where is a Garibaldi, when you need one to wipe away the enemies of Italy?

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1077 on: August 03, 2013, 07:57:47 am »

Well, Alex Salmond gave a pretty good interview to Russia Today (the most sympathetic broadcaster to independence) on the Shetland Islands discussing Scottish independence and the various merits of it. I know I've said in the past that I want to make a large, shiny thread about it in the next few months but, seeing as this would give you a flavour of the substance of the debate from that particular camp, maybe this will satisfy your curiosity a bit until then (if you have any).
1. Scotland becomes independent, acquires oil.
2. Within seconds, America invades, applying FREEDOM to FREEDOM.
3. The rest of the British isles soon capitulate under overwhelming burgers.
4. America uses Britain to stage a liberation of Europe.
5. Europe becomes the United States of European Countries.

WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP THIS

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:46 am »

I think that's what already happened. Did you notice how the first McDonalds' and Burger Kings started to open up in the UK around the time we discovered oil?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 03, 2013, 08:05:00 am »

Franky, I'm surprised you haven't already made a 1000-page long Glorious Scottish Freedom Thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1393