Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743970 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #960 on: July 23, 2013, 10:18:51 am »

Why is she just a Duchess?  I thought she was Queen or something. 
Is this a matriarchal or patriarchal marriage?  Looks patriarchal.
You really need to play CK2 some more.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02:09 am »

Respectively:

- Royalists are terrible
- She'd only be Queen once her husband becomes King.  At the moment she just has a title gifted to them by a random city.  I can't remember if marrying a prince makes you a princess.
- Monarchy as an institution is patriarchal.  I dunno about this particular marriage.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:09 am »

I'm pretty sure the modern monarchies have pretty much gender-equalized when it comes to that (so, Absolute Cognatic?).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:33 am »

Simply marrying someone born into the royal family doesn't grant you land titles. The family parcels them out as training tools and for general legitimacy creation as well. Catherine doesn't automatically become Princess Catherine by default, but she does become Duchess of Cambridge because Prince William is Duke of Cambridge, and marriage bestows automatic rank equivalence for marriage with that title.

When William becomes King William (or whatever royal name he'll pick), Catherine's default title will be King Consort, though I am personally hoping that the couple goes "fuck that noise" and goes for the King and Queen stylings.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:01 am »

Fun fact: Belgium has three queens and two kings right now :v

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »

The Russian military budget is the same as the US one. Same GDP percentage.

Because of globalization, and the effects on the usefulness of wars. All nations economies are intertwined , in such that a military war will no longer come up positive.* Also, MAD.
*Wars are no longer popular. An unilateral attack scenario is impossible
*Infrastructure is more important than resources and land. Information beats it all. The latter can't be found, the first tends to be destroyed.
Alright, I will admit that a resource war is improbable. But what about diplomatic tension? Russia still doesn't like most of Europe very much and certainly is nowhere near it's policies. Potential trade embargoes to pressure joining EU (I'm sure they'll try and get them to join, potentially soon. ) What then? Diplomacy only goes so far.

That's not how to EU works. It's rather hard to try and get 28 countries to cut their own throats by embargoing their primary provider of energy. Benefits from joining the eu would be minimal for both parties. In fact, the Eu would probably have a loss at the operation, because Russia is eligible quite a lot of subsidation.

Also, Russia would have enormous power in the EU, with it's rather large population of 150 million people. (Compared to 500 mill for the EU). Parliament seats are divided by population.

Fun fact: Belgium has three queens and two kings right now :v
Yup, since the 21 first.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »

Silly Belgians. Kings and queens just become princes and princesses here if they abdicate,

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »

Silly Belgians. Kings and queens just become princes and princesses here if they abdicate,
Nope they don't. Mainly because the Belgian system assumes that people reign until they die.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »

When people started calling Kate Middleton "Katherine" I just wanted to dig my eyes out.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 23, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »

When people started calling Kate Middleton "Katherine" I just wanted to dig my eyes out.
Didn't she change her name?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »

Didn't she change her name?

No, I think she was always called Catherine. It's just since she became Royalty Kate isn't good enough for her anymore.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:48 am »

Actually, there is a couple issues with Europe's armies, but it's not size (As it has been pointed out, we outspend the only potential aggressor, Russia, by a factor of 3).

The first one is inefficiency. We're running 28 air forces, 28 armies and I don't know how many navies. The fact is that Europe's armies are geared for a mix of welfare and parade for most countries, and defense of national interests abroad in the case of France and the UK. Not only do we pay too much, but from a purely defensive POV, our units are all in the wrong place.

Second, the armies are disunited. Let us say that Russia decide to pulls a Georgia on Estonia for example, to give Putin some macho creds and distract dissenters at home. No matter how much cash they pour into defense, Estonia and the Baltic states won't stand for more than a day. Now, in this case, do you think France, the UK and Germany will gear up to counter-attack Russia? Chance is they'll discretely drop it using some loopholes in the treaties. In this situation, the US is probably the only thing protecting countries like Estonia, because they have a reputation to maintain and won't just let Russia in.

Of course, the solution to both problems is not a larger army, we could probably shed half our collective military budget and still be cool. The solution is to integrate our national armies into a real, big EU-wide one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 25, 2013, 08:54:39 am »

We almost did that actually. I think France is the reason there is no European Army right now, but I honestly am not quite sure.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 25, 2013, 09:00:39 am »

I do remember French propaganda against a European Army in the 50's, fearing a new Wehrmacht.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 25, 2013, 11:44:11 am »

We almost did that actually. I think France is the reason there is no European Army right now, but I honestly am not quite sure.
Sounds like France, yeah - still think they're a global power. Cute ;)
a new Wehrmacht.
Die Weltmacht!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1393