Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745806 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #540 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:10 am »

That looks more like a machete than a billhook.

More to the point, I'm not so sure. Somebody out there on the internet is almost certain to have done something like that, but there's no report of such an arrest. Only of anti-Muslim extremists. It suggests a quiet bias by the government, which itself exhibits one of many problems with hate speech laws.
Britain can't arrest people who post shit like that in other countries (at least I really hope not). So the question is, are they aware of such Islamist posts coming from their own country that they are not going after? I don't think we have that information right now.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #541 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:29 am »

British police are arresting anybody who makes anti-Muslim statements!!
What utter idiocy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:33 am »

Shit like this makes it REALLY hard to be an "humanity is awesome, woo go us" humanist. :I

To clarify, I mean both the anti-Muslim rhetoric (or people who look Middle Eastern, nevermind what the person actually believes, if I know anything about these types of anti-Muslim crusaders) and the anti-privacy thought-policing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:02 am »

Britain can't arrest people who post shit like that in other countries (at least I really hope not).
I hoped it went without saying that I was only referencing people who live in the UK.
the question is, are they aware of such Islamist posts coming from their own country that they are not going after? I don't think we have that information right now.
We do not, but it seems unlikely that they are given events up until this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #544 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:03 am »

British police are arresting anybody who makes anti-Muslim statements!!
What utter idiocy.

The one and only example I saw in this thread was a clear threat of violence, not merely an anti-Muslim statement.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 28, 2013, 10:24:03 am »

The one and only example I saw in this thread was a clear threat of violence, not merely an anti-Muslim statement.
This.
While I would agree that western gouvernments have a bit of a bias against criticizing islam, the article says that "arrests have been made, with criminal charges being leveled in some cases under laws against inciting racial or religious hatred". So saying "muslims suck" should be fine, while "let's kill all muslims" would amount to inciting violence against a racial or religious group which would get you into legal trouble in most western countries AFAIK.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:21 am »

A young guy was charged for telling Tom Daly the lacklustre Olympic swimmer "your dad would be disappointed in you". It was a dig at him and his dad, who was dead. He was charged with some kind of offence. It's funny, that. A few weeks ago I met a fellow Scotsman tearing into another Scotsman over his support for a United Ireland, calling him a dirty t*ig and catholic scum and stuff, calling him a supporter of pedophiles and terrorists. Really, really bad stuff. I mean, he used virtually every bigoted epithet he could to describe that guy and I am certain he will not be punished for it.

With respect to the issue of apologies and such and the wider issue with the murder in Woolwich, I am now going to quote the comedian Limmy by saying "As an atheist, I can't help feeling somehow responsible for the actions of Joseph Stalin."

Also, I know you're tempted (whoever you are) but before you go into stuff about how Stalin may or may not have been an atheist himself or how he brought back the church as a patriotic institution and stuff that isn't important, the important thing is he committed terrible acts in the name of Atheism. Whether or not that was to reinforce his grip on power doesn't matter either, it's just the fact that he did evil deeds in the name of Atheism.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:46:46 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:05 am »

Also, I know you're tempted (whoever you are) but before you go into stuff about how Stalin may or may not have been an atheist himself or how he brought back the church as a patriotic institution and stuff that isn't important, the important thing is he committed terrible acts in the name of Atheism. Whether or not that was to reinforce his grip on power doesn't matter either, it's just the fact that he did evil deeds in the name of Atheism.
Uh....no he didn't? Stalin's horrible actions were mostly committed either in the name of either the communist cause or ensuring the power of the USSR. Starving Ukrainians to death and atheism are not really related subjects.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 28, 2013, 10:57:29 am »

It's elementary to seperate the means from the goal. Also, generalization is bad. Includes selfgeneralization.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:12 am »

Actually, tons of Muslims are being arrested for this kind of offenses. Except they end up with Terrorrism charges. How else do you explain we usually have 1-2 Islamist attacks per year in Europe (counting foiled attacks) but several hundred terrorism-related arrest of Muslims.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:47 am »

Uh....no he didn't? Stalin's horrible actions were mostly committed either in the name of either the communist cause or ensuring the power of the USSR. Starving Ukrainians to death and atheism are not really related subjects.

I wasn't talking about starving Ukrainians to death or deporting Chechens or Ingush or Wolgadeutsche or Crimean Tatars or murdering his political enemies or anything like that.  I was talking about his terror campaign against the Orthodox church in the early part of his rule when it became very, very dangerous to be religious. Those acts were committed in the name of Atheism.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:35 am »

Actually, tons of Muslims are being arrested for this kind of offenses. Except they end up with Terrorrism charges. How else do you explain we usually have 1-2 Islamist attacks per year in Europe (counting foiled attacks) but several hundred terrorism-related arrest of Muslims.

As currently there are a greater number of active extreme fundamentalist Muslims than of other faiths? This is just an assumption, so dont hold me to anything. The same conclusion could be drawn on the arrest of Catholics in the UK/RoI in the 70's, and 80's - selection effect.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 28, 2013, 11:06:12 am »

My understanding was that the majority of annual terrorist attacks/attempts are commited in the UK by Republicans and Loyalists in Northern Ireland, not Islamic extremists. Groups like the Real IRA are still very active, though they are completely crippled by MI5 spies and barely ever carry out an attack successfully.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 28, 2013, 11:07:11 am »

I wasn't talking about starving Ukrainians to death or deporting Chechens or Ingush or Wolgadeutsche or Crimean Tatars or murdering his political enemies or anything like that.  I was talking about his terror campaign against the Orthodox church in the early part of his rule when it became very, very dangerous to be religious. Those acts were committed in the name of Atheism.
Still not seeing it. Stalin did what he did to destroy all apparatuses of power besides the State and ensure the loyalty of the people to it alone. I don't think atheism really factored into it.

As currently there are a greater number of active extreme fundamentalist Muslims than of other faiths? This is just an assumption, so dont hold me to anything. The same conclusion could be drawn on the arrest of Catholics in the UK/RoI in the 70's, and 80's - selection effect.
Hard to say. The research report done by Pew might have some insight on this, but I myself am not really willing to read it a second time.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 28, 2013, 11:09:06 am »

Not really. It was an attack against the church. Not one pro atheism. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1393