Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746933 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7170 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:59 am »

i know this is the europe thread but i don't see anyone bashing china for being exactly that?

or india but it's less pronounced due to the brits having enforced that pretty well

why russia precisely

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:54 am »

Then you must be blind - look at all the Tibet stuff, for example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: July 02, 2014, 08:00:58 am »

yes i may or may not be blind thank you but how is that relevant

the amount of things describing the huge amounts of outrage!!!! against china doing china things to tibet in recent memory is one and that is your post

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: July 02, 2014, 08:03:49 am »

Russian isn't an ethnicity, or a culture, or a group! Anyone can be Russian!... You just have to act exactly like the ethnicity, culture, or group known as Russian. :I
European isn't an ethnicity, or a culture, or a group! Anyone can be European!... You just have to act exactly like the ethnicity, culture, or group known as European. :I

American isn't an ethnicity, or a culture, or a group! Anyone can be American!... You just have to act exactly like the ethnicity, culture, or group known as American. :I
._.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: July 02, 2014, 08:04:11 am »

India at least *tries* by giving each ethnic group a state. I don't know much about any ethnic conflict in India to say much more. I've not thought about whether they should be split into constituent nations. I can see it, though with Giant Totalitarian Nation With A History Of Subjugating Smaller Statelets just to the north-east, I don't see it happening any time soon.

China, er... Saying China sucks and is totalitarian is kind of like saying "The ocean is a little wet", pardon the cliche.

Edit: I can see your point, Sergarr, but I'll just say that at least in the American sense, it's more "People who *already* act like Americans are more than welcome" rather than "You must act like an American after we invade and assimilate you." Though perhaps that is the case with the Native tribes.

And European, I don't know enough about to say anything about that, but I certainly have not heard anything about an over-arching European culture that is pushed on anyone, besides the whole "Try not to be a dick" part of liberal European democracy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:06:21 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: July 02, 2014, 08:10:25 am »

what is being pushed is a nation-state culture, except it's not being pushed, and that may or may not be a positive or negative aspect of the thing that cameron of england sir aptly described at one point of his life and this is where i leave this

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:27 am »

"You must act like an American after we invade and assimilate you."
Isn't that what happened in Iraq?

And overarching European culture AFAIK is not a big thing in reality, however it is a big point of Russian opposition that we must embrace the European cultural values, whatever that means.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: July 02, 2014, 08:13:11 am »

European culture is as much a thing as a global government or food that everybody likes: it's not gonna be a thing in decades unless somebody decides to do some mass-brainwashing.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:49 am »

Who says they haven't already?

*Licks hypnotoad*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:21 am »

"You must act like an American after we invade and assimilate you."
Isn't that what happened in Iraq?

And overarching European culture AFAIK is not a big thing in reality, however it is a big point of Russian opposition that we must embrace the European cultural values, whatever that means.
Nah, they invaded, but no assimilation happened, and Iraq isn't an American state. Americans assimilate by immigration to America, not by land-grab expansionism.

To the extent that America grabs land, it's by puppet states and dictators, and they're under no pretense that they have to "act american."

Also, I think European cultural values are pretty much "Don't hurt people because they're different, be actually democratic instead of a 'managed democracy,' and dictators are like, way un-cool."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:21:44 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:52 am »

But you don't understand! Russia is the country of Pure Evil! It is the Final Boss which the civilized world must wipe out in order to achieve it's ultimate destiny: fracturing into thousands of countries bases on even microscopic differences!

But you don't understand!  The Kiev government is the country of Pure Evil!  It is the Final Boss which the civilized world must wipe out in order to achieve it's ultimate destiny: forming a mighty free nation devoid of any liberal-fascist western influences!

Baseless strawmen dont prove a lot because literally anybody can do them to anyone.

Though perhaps that is the case with the Native tribes.

While the Americans can hardly be considered ideal in that regard it should be noted that a whole lot of white or black or latino Americans have partial native ancestry at this point.  So assimilation was possible, it's just that we ignore the population that assimilated.  I think this is relevant because it shows the difficulties of studying successful assimilation, by it's very definition it destroys the evidence of itself.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:36:41 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: July 02, 2014, 08:37:29 am »

wow reading is difficult and understanding things is even harder i sure hope i were able to do that

in other news: sarkozy's gonna get tymoshenko'd

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:14 am »

As Descan said, the only thing that pretty much all European nations have in common is that they respect people's freedoms(some countries even more than others), respect human rights, respect democracy, try to help out developing nations and strive for peace. Of course some countries do some things more than others.

To generalise then that is the only thing that the European nations have in common, most are also in the EU of course. But other than that they have totally different cultures, governmental systems, agendas etc etc. As for a person being European, you can count people who are born in the geographical location of Europe, born in a nation that is in the EU or as somebody who has integrated into one of the European country's societies. But it all comes down to how a person feels, I have met Germans who don't consider themselves Europeans.

But the final question is. Do you need to have European citizenship in order to be European?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:45 am »

If you want to know how there's not an overarching European culture, nor any attempts to make one, look at the cultures of France and Germany. Pretty different, and not looking to change.
Hell, I'd even argue that there's no unified German culture - I probably have more in common culturally with Dutchling than with that one Swabian I know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: July 02, 2014, 08:42:22 am »

If you want to know how there's not an overarching European culture, nor any attempts to make one, look at the cultures of France and Germany. Pretty different, and not looking to change.
Hell, I'd even argue that there's no unified German culture - I probably have more in common culturally with Dutchling than with that one Swabian I know.
REMOVE SWABIAN FROM PREMISES
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1393