Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744567 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5355 on: May 16, 2014, 09:10:17 am »

Not.. really.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: May 16, 2014, 09:28:04 am »

We just can't stay away from Ukraine can we? heh. As long as we are careful though.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/05/16/ukraine-crisis-un-idINL6N0O21W920140516

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/asia/2014-05-16/ukraine-crisis-human-rights-violations-escalating-in-eastern-ukraine-according-to-un-monitors/1312656

The UN monitors that were/are there are saying that human rights violations are increaing in Eastern Ukraine and in Crimea. Naturally, the Russians are claiming rights abuses by Kiev. However, in this chaotic situation, it's entirely possible for human rights violations to be commited by both sides.

I don't even know what would be the least biased news source, Al Jazeera comes to mind, but even they have a western leaning in Putins eyes.

Those seem no different than any other news site comments to me.

The CNN sites comments are 99% trolls as well.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: May 16, 2014, 09:35:56 am »

Those seem no different than any other site comments to me.
FTFY

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: May 16, 2014, 09:39:22 am »

Some of my far-left colleagues in the Scottish Independence movement are currently bleating about "Fascists" in Ukraine.

One fellow said the other day: "I don't think the Russian government is the most benevolent. But I'd rather live here than under Banderist regime in the Ukraine". He also complained about how "twice in last three elections, Ukrainians elected pro-Russian president. On both occasions, he was forced out at gunpoint by Nato." He also said this: "today, the Ukrainian fascist junta regime will ban the Communist Party. Impeccable democratic credentials on show there, lads."

Then again, he also said that the bombings in Volgograd were organised entirely by US funded Saudis in a bid to undermine Russia. He's so blinded by his loathing of the USA and NATO that he doesn't see the big picture. People like him get swept up in the facades all the time, when in my opinion the reality has little to do with NATO or Russian Imperialism and far more to do with Russian and Ukrainian organised crime.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:48:47 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: May 16, 2014, 09:51:23 am »

All of the people like that guy seem to have forgotten the definition of Junta.

Also, I didn't think people in Scotland (or Europe in general) loathed the US that much, in general. I know heres always going to be the outliers.

I know people in Europe are generally annoyed by the US's 'intervene in everything' and our foriegn policy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:53:15 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:14 am »

It's fairly common among leftist types. I mean, they do have an history of randomly invading countries and dragging us in with them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: May 16, 2014, 09:56:13 am »

One of the greatest criticisms leveled at Tony Blair was that he turned us into the USA's lapdog, taking us into Iraq and Afghanistan and so on. Some pretty strong anti-American sentiments developed among the far left as a result.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: May 16, 2014, 09:57:31 am »

And the TTIP is feeding this sentiments too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: May 16, 2014, 09:58:52 am »

It's fairly common among leftist types. I mean, they do have an history of randomly invading countries and dragging us in with them.

Wasn't Kuwait largely because of a treaty and so we had no choice? I know what you meant though. We're trying not to do that anymore (anti-terrorism operations being an exception), at least Obama is, can't speak for whoever the next president is, especially if they're republican.

One of the greatest criticisms leveled at Tony Blair was that he turned us into the USA's lapdog, taking us into Iraq and Afghanistan and so on. Some pretty strong anti-American sentiments developed among the far left as a result.

There was pretty much that same sentiment here in the US during the Bush years about Blair.

And the TTIP is feeding this sentiments too.

TTIP?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:19 am »

Oh dear goodness. If I could get to Blaire, I'd punch him in the face. He nearly single handedly brought the country to the dogs.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:59 am »

so the country wasn't brought to dogs after all or did he have some assistance

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:28 am »

Bush nearly destroyed the US economy towards the end of his second term. Sure he tried to fix it, with little success, and the wars were pretty much what nearly crashed the economy (and taking the world economy with it) and drove the debt up.

And then the republicans played 'kick the can down the road' and then 'chicken' with the debt ceiling :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:04:33 am by smjjames »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: May 16, 2014, 10:12:58 am »

It wasn't quite brought to the dogs, which I would classify as roving bands of mercenaries killing civilians on sight for their food, but he did his damndest.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:40 am »

It wasn't quite brought to the dogs, which I would classify as roving bands of mercenaries killing civilians on sight for their food, but he did his damndest.

You should blame Bush for (nearly) driving the US economy to the ground and taking the world economy with it. Which would be nearly giving the UK to the dogs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: May 16, 2014, 10:17:45 am »

I wasn't talking specifically about that, though. I was talking Blaire in regards to the U.K. Still, I don't think many people can draw any conclusion other than that Bush was an idiot. My English class had a poster of "Bushisms." They were both amusing, and disturbing to think that such a person was in power.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1393