Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752221 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10545 on: September 08, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »

W is a voyel? Poor Welsh, forced to pretend consonants are voyels so their jaws don't fall off.

I have a theory that Wales declared independence years ago, but nobody understood them. Including the Welsh.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: September 08, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

Another interesting fact from that poll is that, when the poll is weighted to those who are certain to vote in the referendum (rather than those who are uncertain/are definitely going to stay at home), Yes surpasses No.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: September 08, 2014, 05:23:37 pm »

It's all well and fine to post your fanboyism with what the poll responses are but please do tamper down on the wishful thinking about what the poll crosstabs mean.

Polling in the modern world is hard.  Very, very, very hard.  Response rates are abysmal so pollsters need to interpret everything through a demographic screen in order to try to measure shifts in opinions instead of shifts in response rate.  When you go all fanboy about the crosstabs you are basically just using the power of wishful thinking as your demographic screen.  People end up saying all manner of silly things every US presidential election and those are a model of simplicity compared to this referendum.

Not to say that a shift in the polls doesn't mean a shift in the population.  Just keep in mind that debating the exact position of the polls is about as meaningful as a bunch of diehard sports fans arguing who's going to win a game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:53:47 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: September 08, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »

It's all well and fine to post your fanboyism with what the poll responses are but please do tamper down on the wishful thinking about what the poll crosstabs mean.

Polling in the modern world is hard.  Very, very, very hard.  Response rates are abysmal so pollsters need to interpret everything through a demographic screen in order to try to measure shifts in opinions instead of shifts in response rate.  When you go all fanboy about the crosstabs you are basically just using the power of wishful thinking as your demographic screen.  People end up saying all manner of silly things every US presidential election and those are a model of simplicity compared to this referendum.

Not to say that a shift in the polls doesn't mean a shift in the population.  Just keep in mind that debating the exact position of the polls is about as meaningful as a bunch of diehard sports fans arguing who's going to win a game.

Thank you for telling me in three paragraphs everything I already knew, Mainiac. You're talking to someone who has spent the last three years arguing why opinion polls are not always representative of the population or how things are going on the ground. I don't need to say anything more about that. The only reason why I'm posting the details of these polls is because of recent media interest and the narrative; any data can be interesting when something like a big swing is taking place.

I'm sorry I seem to have annoyed you with my posts, but it's ok, keep calling me a "fanboy" as well, by all means - I'm a supporter or "fanboy" of independence and social justice, just as you're a supporter of American Liberalism and the Democrat Party. I don't think I've heard the word "fanboy" thrown around much in political discussion though, particularly not on Bay 12 - maybe we were too mature for that until you showed up, given that most of us know that kind of talk accomplishes nothing and only muddies the waters of our debates.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:14:10 pm by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: September 08, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »

Dude I think you just got bitched out by Owlbread.

It's kind of hard to tell, he's very... British.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: September 08, 2014, 09:29:50 pm »

Dude I think you just got bitched out by Owlbread.

It's kind of hard to tell, he's very... British.

Or, if things go his way, Scottish.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: September 08, 2014, 10:08:34 pm »

Thank you for telling me in three paragraphs everything I already knew, Mainiac. You're talking to someone who has spent the last three years arguing why opinion polls are not always representative of the population or how things are going on the ground. I don't need to say anything more about that. The only reason why I'm posting the details of these polls is because of recent media interest and the narrative; any data can be interesting when something like a big swing is taking place.

Oh you are an expert.  Well that simplifies what I mean to say.  Please disregard what I said and replace it with this:
Why are you discussing likely voter models in a situation with so little historical data?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:15:25 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: September 08, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »

Spoiler: In reply to Mainiac (click to show/hide)

I was very amused by this summary of the independence debate as-it-stands now by Charlie Brooker.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:33:03 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: September 08, 2014, 10:24:58 pm »

Less popular than Windows 8? Shit, might as well start dismantling Buckingham and giving the bricks to passerby now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:26 pm »

This bit is such lol:

"If Scotland divorces Britain, the union jack will have to be redesigned, which is upsetting news for every prick with a union jack cushion on their stupid sofa in their stupid house. Minus the soothing, steadying blue of the saltire, the flag’s going to resemble a violent, blood-burst staining a shroud. Better to scrap it and start again with a new design that more accurately reflects the spirit of the age. I vote for a crying brown oblong."

Not entirely getting the crying brown oval thing, but still funny.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:36 am »

I particularly liked this bit:

George Osborne abruptly announced he would shortly unveil a range of new powers and benefits Scotland could look forward to in the event of a no vote. Increased powers of taxation. The ability to control the sea. Banknotes made of liquorice. Free stickers. If it votes no, Scotland will also receive the Angel of the North, the Eden Project, Stonehenge, the Cutty Sark, Alton Towers, a souvenir pen, a backrub and access to the new royal baby at weekends. It’s all a little undignified, like a man on his knees clutching his girlfriend’s ankles and sobbing that he can change. “It’s no’ you, it’s me,” replies Scotland, in its newly exotic foreign accent, before slinking off to have exciting sex with Greenland.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: September 09, 2014, 01:53:44 am »

Not entirely getting the crying brown oval thing, but still funny.

A crying shit?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: September 09, 2014, 02:08:57 am »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: September 09, 2014, 04:21:48 am »

It's pretty spot-on, though - you don't go for food autarky unless you're expecting a major war.

Edit:
No, the only way Cameron’s going to win a single no vote is if he leaves his clothes on a beach and pretends to have swum off into oblivion, or vows to slam his balls in a car door if Scotland decides to stay. I don’t have a vote, but I vote for the latter.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:23 am »

I wouldn't say no to the power to control the sea. That'd make for a pretty cool superhero.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1393