Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 72

Author Topic: Build A Village: The Orebaron of Alucard  (Read 99646 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build A Village: Lordsmiths and wordplay
« Reply #615 on: April 10, 2013, 04:14:14 am »

I still say that we should deploy stealth-lumberjacks...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2013, 07:06:27 am »

Monty shoul dlead the scout group (and yes, only a scout group. how dumb is it to attack a life temple with so few fighters? Oo)
I don't think anyone is suggesting oth--
I still say that we should deploy stealth-lumberjacks...
...I'm not suggesting otherwise, but it's prudent to send at least one guard, between probably-hostile natives and the natural dangers in the way.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:59 am »

...I'm not suggesting otherwise, but it's prudent to send at least one guard, between probably-hostile natives and the natural dangers in the way.
+1 to sending the guard (he has no other use here, as we are busy). Also, why would you send a Death Priest to a Life Temple? I just don't want to lo lose the hability to make awesome GREEN FLAMES.

It's a scout party, nothing more, imagine what would happen if we send two stealth lumberjackers to a temple full of life followers.

Also, as we send the guard, we can make him teach the scouting party something about comba in their way.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:22 am »

Well I imagine that having the sacred tree mysteriously fall down when everyone is out meditating at nuts and berries is likely to cause less problems than a death-priest turning up and politely asking for permission to release it from its troubles...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32:05 am »

Well I imagine that having the sacred tree mysteriously fall down when everyone is out meditating at nuts and berries is likely to cause less problems than a death-priest turning up and politely asking for permission to release it from its troubles...
Yes.

So, do we send the guard with our scouting party? I say yes.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2013, 08:42:04 am »

Okay, no priest. Just 3 or 4 scouts.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:47 am »

Also, when we start to build something to defend our camp, we should consider that our most inmediate danger could be mungo bandits, which are stupid, but will come in shitloads of them.
Which kind of fortification would be better? As we are now, the mungos would probably do this to our camp:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, how do you stop that? I say with a damned choke point. If we need to improvise, we can use the mine entrance as a bunker and with long spikes we can keep them at bay, what do you think?

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 10, 2013, 11:48:08 am »

-Unskulk-

You cannot stop raptorlings with a chokepoint Muahaha.

1. Palisade (as hashed over multiple times)
The palisade doesn't have to be Dwarven Engineering Approved and indestructible. It just has to make it more of a hassle to go through it than the nice and open and not well defended at all why would you even think that Chokepoint.

2. How much improvisation (metagaming) is allowed?
'cuz we can have people start making Long Spears instead of the normal spears, and teach 'em to fight in a Phalanx.
Goblin Longspear Logic: Dying = pain = bad. spear = attack = good. staying away from spear = good.
Thus: Longer spear > normal spear.
(Yes there's a historically accurate name for it but for whatever reason I don't think Goblins came from ancient Macedon/Greece/whathaveyou)

3. Mining cave
If the village is forced to retreat to the mining cave at this point it's pretty much doomed already.

Proposed Action:
Ask the traders about aggressive wildlife, if there's a presence, send guard, otherwise, we're fine. It's a lot easier to Lie about a lone lumberjack wandering very very far from home.

Have the Guarblin teach a Untrained Human how he fights so the Human can Teach it to others.

This bolding thing's fun.

-Skulk resume-

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2013, 01:32:47 pm »

I know, but in a 5 minute zerg rush search in Google I didn't find something better to show in which situation we could be in a case of Mungo invasion (our most inmediate danger, as the traders said that there were multiple mungo tribes which could turn violent)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2013, 05:17:04 pm »

Some kind of wall would be good.

We have lots of stone, which makes good walls.

I suggest we make a stone wall.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »

I know, but in a 5 minute zerg rush search in Google I didn't find something better to show in which situation we could be in a case of Mungo invasion (our most inmediate danger, as the traders said that there were multiple mungo tribes which could turn violent)
I am not familiar with raptorlings, but I would expect that you could surround your bunker with bunkers to limit their access, which is basically what a choke-point is...

I say we have a gate to the south, in the direction of the river, it is likely the direction that any attacks will come from, but water... Probably a gate on the other ide too, we really want to be spending a lot more time running around strip-mining the surrounding country-side than we do hiding behind a wall not getting killed...

We could probably make an emergency wall using splinters. just jam them into the ground, pointy-side up, and loot anyone who tried to sneak into the camp during the night when they couldn't see where they were going...

A ditch with a hump behind it would be enough to give us a small advantage over anyone who attacks, and give us something to hide behind if stuff is thrown at us. Ideally we would want an inner area with very limited access for storage of valuables and secrets. A restricted area with a wall around it for any time the outer-defences are overrun, a star-fort(star forts, in addition to being resistant to heavy artillery, are pretty good at providing a clear view of your own walls, and you really don't want folk free to do secret things to your walls.) exterior defence, and a series of watch-towers in the surrounding lands. And probably an escape-tunnel through the mountain, with lots of access points outside the village, but only one within, it should be fairly easy to defend a narrow tunnel and pretty difficult to find and threaten lots of random, hidden, disused tunnels scattered all over the place.

Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2013, 07:42:51 pm »

Wait...which do we want a gate on the side we're likely to be attacked from? And why are we most likely to be attacked from the river?
Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

Rivers act as transport, supply, land-mark(water-mark wouldn't make sense for some reason...), a source of food and water, and a valuable resource to deny the enemy. And we would want to have a gate that faces it so that we can take a direct route between it and the stockpile. Also, a straight path through the village with access-points at either end would make things easier for unwieldy caravans and contraptions that may wish to pass through the village...
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:53 pm »

I suppose you have points on all except why you said we wanted a gate as near to enemy attacks as possible.
Sig

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm.

Zergling = Basic zerg unit
Raptor strain = Zergling upgrade
Raptorling = Slang. (In the same way speedlings = zergling + speed upgrade)
(But not cracklings = zerglings + attack speed upgrade, but it's still evident)

-Digression End-

Dwarf Architecture is invulnerable and negates all damage except from its builder.

We do not have dwarves. Our walls will be ramshackle and probably vulnerable to hats.

Having that open gate towards the river means it is attractive.
Having an attractive gate means the enemy will snark at us and go for the gate.
Having the enemy go for the gate means they will go through one spot.

I'm operating until the assumption we're not using DF pathing logic, thus a convoluted entrance would just inspire the Mungos to batter down whatever walls we get. And then we get pincered and die.

(Not a lot of people would bunker a bunker in starcraft, since it's spending a lot of minerals on what is supposed to be a delaying tactic for the army to reach the position)

...are we operating under DF logic here?

Query: Is booze mandatory to sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 72