Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Six-Person Chess: Red (Loud Whispers)'s Turn  (Read 17545 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Six-Person Chess: Red (Loud Whispers)'s Turn
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:45:08 am »

The starting position for each board of Six-Person Chess

This is a variant of chess, played by six people in two teams on three boards.
Capturing pieces goes beyond weakening your enemies, and also strengthens your friends.
There are several new pieces added--the Dragon, the Fool, the Guard, the Scout, the Sorceror, the Summoner, the Teleporter, and the Wizard. These have special abilities which should complicate things. In a good way.

Thanks to Dr. Sheldon Cooper for inspiring me, and to Nerjin for sharing the not-secret of his spreadsheet display.

Most of the rules are like normal chess. However, the multiple boards adds some fun complications, and of course the new pieces need rules.
Changes:
1. The colors are not white and black. The three primary colors are pitted against the three secondary colors, as suggested by the neat six-colored dividing lines of kings.
2. Turn order goes Green, Red, Purple, Yellow, Orange, Blue.
3. The board is expanded to 10 squares by ten squares by three boards. The starting position on each board is shown at the top, with the following symbolclature:
Spoiler: What the Symbols Mean: (click to show/hide)
4. Captured pieces do not disappear; they instead go to a different board. Pieces from the GR board go to the PY board; pieves from the PY board go to the OB board; and pieces from the OB board go to the GR board. The exception is pieces captured by the Fool or the Sorcerer. Captured pieces are under the control of the capturer's ally and appear as close to the starting position for that piece as can be managed; e.g. a Yellow bishop would become a Blue bishop at BA4 or BA7.
5. Eight new pieces have been added:
Spoiler: New Pieces (click to show/hide)
6. Scouts and Pawns may not be promoted to Kings, Pawns, Scouts, Sorcerers, Summoners, Teleporters, or Wizards.
7. The game is not won on a given board until the king is captured. Play goes on in that board after it has been won.
8. A team wins the game if it wins two of the three boards.

Signing up:
Six people may join. Select the color you'd most like to be.

Turns:
Post the piece you're moving and the space it's moving to. If needed, you must specify which of a given piece you mean. For example, from the starting position, Green could post "Dragon to GD2," or "GA2 Dragon to GD2."

For my convenience and eventually yours: The Board
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:53:19 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Six-Person Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:12 am »

Seems good 'nuff

I'll be Green

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:53:50 am »

PTW because I'm terrible at chess.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »

purple please.

Didn't notice the purple first time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:32:13 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:50 pm »

I'll go as Red.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

Yellow, I guess.

Edit: I nearly broke my mind trying to understand why the two sides have a different number of pieces and then realized that the image is cut-off.

Also, do pieces ordinarily captured remain under the control of the one who captured them?

Also also, it's spelled 'sorcerer'.

Also x3, can we please have a more... sane tile numbering, specifically in the format 'board number-column-row' (swapped order to conform to standard chess marking) instead of 'colour (so we don't have to remember which colour correponds to which board) -row counting from the first row of this colour-column'? I.e. instead of 'GA2' it would be '1A9'.

Also x4, does the Wizard transform pieces into the same colour as the wizard or the same colour as it was initially?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:03:49 pm by Dariush »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »

Orange, please.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »

Edit: I nearly broke my mind trying to understand why the two sides have a different number of pieces and then realized that the image is cut-off.
What are you...Oh, for the love of--it took me like 15 minutes of cropping to get that, and now it's ruined!

Also, do pieces ordinarily captured remain under the control of the one who captured them?
No, they're under the control of the ally of that player. I'll go add that. That was already there. Huh.

Often, I spelled it like that. Where's the tyop?

Also x3, can we please have a more... sane tile numbering, specifically in the format 'board number-column-row' (swapped order to conform to standard chess marking) instead of 'colour (so we don't have to remember which colour correponds to which board) -row counting from the first row of this colour-column'? I.e. instead of 'GA2' it would be '1A9'.
I based that on a chess board numbering I saw once, but yeah I guess that makes more sense.

Also x4, does the Wizard transform pieces into the same colour as the wizard or the same colour as it was initially?
Initially. That is vague, isn't it?

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »

Blue
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:50:19 pm by Remuthra »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:56 pm »

javier, scapheap, Nerjin, Dariush, Doomblade, Remuthra...we have six.

-----

Primary Team:
Nerjin (red)
Dariush (yellow)
Remuthra (blue)

Secondary Team:
javierpwn (green)
scapheap (purple)
Doomblade (orange)

Once I get an image with the three boards, it'll be time to start and javier's turn.
Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »

It's right there, GWG :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:17:26 pm »

What are you...Oh, for the love of--it took me like 15 minutes of cropping to get that, and now it's ruined!
Google and install Lightshot. This will save you a LOT of trouble, I promise.
No, they're under the control of the ally of that player. I'll go add that. That was already there. Huh.
Er, the Fool and the Sorcerer were listed in such a way that I thought they were exceptions to the general rule. In this case, does this mean that only two people can have pieces on the same board?
There are several new pieces added--the Dragon, the Fool, the Guard, the Scout, the Sorceror, the Summoner, the Teleporter, and the Wizard. These have special abilities which should complicate things. In a good way.
Ctrl+F is a useful combination to know.
I... don't understand whether this is sarcasm or not. The aliens are probably at fault.

And while I'm here,
1. Can Dragon jump over multiple pieces at once?
2. Does Fool's ability have any effect on anybody except pawns and scouts?
3. Can Sorcerer capture the piece if it moved the full three spaces? (I'll term this capture-after-movement special-capture for brevity)
4. Can Sorcerer special-capture pieces in all eight directions?
5. Does Sorcerer move to the captured piece's tile after special-capturing?
6. Can Summoner summon pawns in all eight directions?
7. Same question regarding the Wizard's action: can he affect any space that's reachable by three or less king-moves, any space reachable by a single Wizard's move, any space reachable by a single Queen's move, any space that's reachable by exactly three king-moves, any space exactly three spaces distant diagonally or any space exactly three spaces distant in one of the eight directions?
8. Is there any limit on the transforming into pawns (time limit, numbers limit or something else)?
9. Do the summoned pawns last forever (until capturing, that is)?
10. Is there any limit on the number of summoned pawns simultaneously in play?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:29:56 pm by Dariush »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:39 pm »

It's right there, GWG :P
That was the joke.  ::)

Google and install Lightshot. This will save you a LOT of trouble, I promise.
I'll look it up.

Er, the Fool and the Sorcerer were listed in such a way that I thought they were exceptions to the general rule. In this case, does this mean that only two people can have pieces on the same board?
Yup. It's simpler that way.
(The Fool and Sorcerer have their exceptions noted in their rules.)

Thankyou.

I... don't understand whether this is sarcasm or not. The aliens are probably at fault.
Not intentionally, no.

-----

Anyways. Nerjin's display idea sounds neat, but it's a pain. I'm considering a table or something.

Screw it. This was started before Dariush's reply, and I'll give that Lightshot thing a try.
Sig

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »

I might as well try to get on the waitlist, since I figure that someone will probably drop out of this sooner or later due to its apparent complexity.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

I might as well try to get on the waitlist, since I figure that someone will probably drop out of this sooner or later due to its apparent complexity.
It's chess3, you'd think people would assume it's complicated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22