Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92049 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #435 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:51 am »

Do not worry about magic arms and armor. I have something in my mind. Something big. Huehuehuehue

leadership is best feat

at least to piss off the GM with hundreds of additional rolls and rules

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 18, 2013, 09:51:12 am »

Well, not all DMs allow that feat.

It would be pretty badass if we get involved in epic scenarios like sieges though

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:20 am »

I can and will void my bowels on the spot if I see a str 20+ barbarian carving through squads of soldiers with his massive flail.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:57 am »

Handled well Leadership is a rather weak ability though.

It is there more for roleplay then use... excluding the Cohort.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 18, 2013, 11:17:20 am »

By that you mean ruined through DM shenanigans right?

Anyway, Girlinhat mentioned somewhere that this would be a martial game involving sieges and whatnot, so Leadership would probably fit pretty well.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 18, 2013, 11:18:36 am »

As a DM I'm not going to allow Minions to enter battle, and a good reason must be given for a Cohort as well.  Since Minions are primarily level 1 and by that time the party will be level 7, they'd be worthless in battle anyways.  But they can be used outside of battle for various things.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:53 am »

By that you mean ruined through DM shenanigans right?

Anyway, Girlinhat mentioned somewhere that this would be a martial game involving sieges and whatnot, so Leadership would probably fit pretty well.

Well no... you have a huge group of extra squishy and poor soldiers who can barely, or outright cannot, even afford armor in a world with magic and monsters.

What do you think their chances are when a Dire Wolf could take down most of them?

I've ran dungeons where they would have been dead rather quickly.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2013, 11:20:49 am »

I think the minions are primarily for non-combat thingies and mass-combats where levels don't really matter.
You can hire mercenary / soldier hirelings for 5 sp (minimum) per day, so you can still participate in kingmaker / sieges without leadership.
Minions granted by leadership are free, they are 'dazzled' by your charming endeaver. Think of them as free hirelings.

Edit, with leadership score of 20~23, which I am very likely to achieve, you can afford up to 135 level 1 meatbags.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:15 am »

You can hire mercenary / soldier hirelings for 5 sp (minimum) per day

That is a huge oddity compared that they could with 0 profession... earn 6 gold a week under the rules.

Except there is a difference. The Soldiers you hire won't suicide mission for you.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 18, 2013, 11:24:45 am »

You do very well know what I mean, mister.
Point is leadership doesn't break the game in any way.
GM said she is willing to let players take leadership, with some restrictions, of course.
End of story.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:28 am »

You do very well know what I mean, mister.
Point is leadership doesn't break the game in any way.
GM said she is willing to let players take leadership, with some restrictions, of course.
End of story.

The biggest issue with Leadership though isn't that it breaks the game. It is that players will be pissed off when their guys get killed off and will ALWAYS come to the conclusion that the DM is picking on them because "Leadership is too strong and you are not letting me do cool stuff with it".

So it breaks the game that way :P

Mind you I am speaking in general.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2013, 11:37:59 am »

...which is exactly why they are non-combat only in our campaign.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:07 am »

...which is exactly why they are non-combat only in our campaign.

Which is always a good idea.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2013, 12:31:56 pm »

You can hire mercenary / soldier hirelings for 5 sp (minimum) per day

That is a huge oddity compared that they could with 0 profession... earn 6 gold a week under the rules.

Except there is a difference. The Soldiers you hire won't suicide mission for you.
Unskilled labor earns 1sp per day, or .7gp per week.  Earning 3.5gp per week to accompany an adventurer as 'the guy who sits outside and make sure the horses don't wander off' is pretty decent money.

Mooks are also going to require upkeep, after all they do need to eat and sleep, though I've not decided on the specific price-per-mook-per-week, likely 2sp daily...  1.4gp weekly.

Mooks are going to be for fairly explicitly non-combat situations, like keeping tabs of your stockroom in town (assuming you own a warehouse for your various goods) or tending to the mules/wagons.  They can also be used to man equipment, like crewing a ship or manning a siege engine.  The siege engine WILL be directly involved in combat, as an icon on the map, but if any enemy comes within 10 feet or so, the mooks disappear into the wilderness, more or less distance depending on the situation.  If you've formed a shield wall in front of them, they'd be more courageous, but if the shield wall is being battered by 17 ogres they may not be.  When mooks abandon their siege engine, it's simply considered 'uncrewed' until the enemy has been pushed away for a number of rounds, at which point it resumes operating.  Boats and whatnot vehicles will work similarly, though there's no room to run, so they just continue working.  Ships actually have their own rules for combat that would be followed, and in ship combat the crew is mainly abstracted down to 'they're always there but invisible' sort of thing.

Similarly, Cohorts are going to be restricted as well, for the most part unable to deploy in combat or reluctant to do anything, so for the most part, Leadership is going to be heavily nerfed and unable to pull much weight in conventional fighting.  Plus, anything Leadership could do, you could also hire someone.  Hiring unskilled labor will function similarly to your Leadership mook limit.

After all, if each of you takes a cohort, combat speed drops by half, and that's not cool.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 18, 2013, 12:33:35 pm »

wat. Are we going to have 17 ogres charging at us?
Oh lord. Oh god.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89