Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91756 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 02:40:03 pm »

Alright, Dungeons and Dragons in one paragraph?

DnD runs off the D20 system, a die with 20 faces.  It literally runs off this.  Virtually everything in the game relies on two things.
1: You roll a d20, which determines if you succeed or fail.  Default 'difficulty' is 10, so you need to roll 10 or above to succeed, so you get a 50/50 chance.  Difficulty of a roll it determined by the check you're making, like walking up a hill (5) is easier than climbing a rope (15).  The roll is also modified by your skill and the enemy's skill, if applicable.  So if you're good at climbing, then you get a +3 to a roll, so you get 1d20+3, making it more likely for you to succeed.  If the enemy is involved, then their skill is factored against yours, like if the rope is greased then the difficulty would go up, maybe from 15 to 20.
2: You roll for any value involved, if needed.  Mainly for attacks, to determine how much damage is done.

Example: You attack an armed goblin.  You have a strength bonus of +2, and a special skill that gives +1, while the enemy has a default armor of 10 (that's your 50/50 chance), wears armor that gives +1, and has enough dexterity to dodge with +1.  That means the 'difficulty' of the attack is 12, and you have 1d20+3, so you can roll the dice from 4 to 23 and need to hit at least a 12, so you've still only got about 60% chance of landing a hit.  IF you win the roll, then you roll for your attack, which depends on your weapon.  If your sword gives 1d4 damage and your strength is still +2, then you do 1d4+2 damage, 3-6 damage dealt.  Then the goblin would attack you, depending on the goblin's strength, and your dexterity and armor.

This extends to pretty much anything.  Climbing - difficulty of the climb compared against your +climb and +dex.  Bluff - difficulty of the lie you're making compared against your +bluff and +charisma.  Figure out what you're looking at - difficulty of how strange the item is compared against your +knowledge and +intelligence.  ('Knowledge (Dungeoneering)' is a skill, as are 'Knowledge (Magic)' and other types of knowledge.)

Most difficulties are set by default.  Armor is a static value.  If you do something strange, like you decide to steal a boat, then the DM has to make up estimate numbers on how difficult it would be, so the DM's job is to set up issues, move the NPC around, and to make fair guesses as to how difficult or how likely certain things are.

THAT.  Is the core of DnD.  The rest, equipment, movement speed, damage values, magic types, etc...  That's all details that work into this core framework.  The core is still right there.  Any given item or stat will change the difficulty or the bonus you get.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:26 pm »

Needing to roll a 10+ is 55% chance actually. Since your options are 1-20 and not 0-19.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »

Oh right.  Maths.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »

EDIT AGAIN:
https://app.roll20.net/join/78955/VpSkHg  Apparently this is the game's direct link.

I hope I'm not too late. I just joined.

So, what's going on? What did I miss?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »

Follow the link ;).
For reference,it might be prudent to leave a message to go to the thread in Forum Games and Roleplaying and go ahead and lock this thread, so we can get an accurate count of all those who are actually interested

They're making characters at the moment, which i should get too.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:05 pm »

I am at this point building a campaign for some friends, which I would DM as my first attempt to DM and my third playing at all.  I could open it to other players, depending on how they feel about it.  Currently 2 players, +1 maybe depending on her schedule.  My campaign idea is to be rather large, with end game being possible, and certain army themes like siege weapons, large vehicles, castles, and actual armies being possible, depending on if the players go for that sort of thing.  Basically gonna keep adding content until the players die!

So if anyone's interested in THAT... well, say so, either in-thread or PM :D

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 09:15:32 pm »

... what did you expect? :D.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 09:41:11 pm »

Yup.  Using roll20.net because I know how this works.  If you have art assets you'd like to use, like a character portrait, maptools character tool has a fancy 'token maker' that lets you put any picture into a frame.  Or if you've got any good images for terrain or buildings or whatever, I could probably use/collect them too.

I think this will be Pathfinder, for the simple reason that everything in Pathfinder can be found on one site with everything listed out clearly.
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/
It's almost identical to 3.5 in every way, except it lacks many of the broken splatbook classes.  If you play core 3.5 then you play Pathfinder.  All the info is right there for everyone to see and there's no 'extra books' to worry about.

The only sort of 'home brew' I plan, is to take alignment a lot less seriously, and treat it more as reputation than anything else - if you do evil acts and people find out, then you get treated poorly by people who care.  Necromancy itself is not inherently Evil, but if the city finds out then the tavernkeeper may encourage you to sleep on the street like an animal.  Alignment will still matter if you draw your power from a deity, although also more loosely.  You can't just go around claiming to be a worshiper of death and blight, you'll probably want to lie about your class, and the Cleric of Death should probably keep a spellbook on hand to pretend to be a wizard, because the conversation will happen at some point, "Oh you're a cleric?  Who do you serve?"  So, try to be good, keep it simple.  If you're evil inclined, then probably consult me on how to be creative about it.

Also, going to take looser definitions of constructs, golems, and magical items to allow more flexibility and DM in different prices or values - some of these enchanted items like 'Sword of True Strike' are broken, so I'd have to tweak the price to reflect how broken an item is.  And then small tweaks, like allowing 'bladed armor' that works exactly like 'spiked armor' except does slashing, and the same for spiked shields, and whatnot.  Nothing major there.

So yes!  Girlinhat is your DM!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 10:05:21 pm »

Hmmm, I'm tempted...  I've never played pathfinder but I might have another game (IRL!!!) in the next few months that's pathfinder, Tomb of Horrors even, so it'd be good to familiarize and it's been a long time since I've had the chance to be a player.

Maybe a barbarian, or fighter?  If spiked chain wankery is allowed, though I won't make it too over the top either way.  Otherwise, how do spellcasters work in Pathfinder?  Are level one spellcasters still killable by cats with no decent spells?
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:24 pm »

It's almost 3.5 verbatim.  What's the spiked chain wankery?  Apparently it's listed in the above source, but it's not listed directly as a weapon and doesn't have a damage roll I can see.

Oh!  2d4 damage and uses dex with a feat...  That's pretty decent really.  I dunno, I might give it a small hobble like -2 or -3 to damage or hit.  I've heard about people using them, vaguely, so it may need some small nerf.  We'll see, probably won't touch it unless you just start roflstomping everything.  At the very least, you'd have to order it custom.  I mean who uses these things?  No one just has these laying around!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:14:34 pm by Girlinhat »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27:19 pm »

They're cool, but yes, people who really want to can go nuts with them.  I probably won't, I'm kind of wanting to do something else now, still thinking.  Anyway, 18 dex fighter with great cleave and combat reflexes.  Cast enlarge person and cat's grace on him and he can clear a fifteen foot zone on the enemy's turn.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:45 pm »

Yeah that's a little ridiculous.  I'm gonna encourage for players to make good but not meta-broken characters.  If I see anyone trying to cast Wall of Iron and Fabricate in direct order imma shoot that down.  Don't be pricks.  You know the crazy meta game tactics.  Let's be a little serious about things :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »

I'm definitely not in the business of breaking the game.  What's this campaign going to be using?  IRC?  Maptool?
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »

Said already, roll20.net - you make an account and play online, no downloads, just needs... Java I think.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 03:29:39 am »

At what times will it be?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 89