Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820274 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9495 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:16 pm »

On Poland, I found a very interesting graph. After completing secondary school, Polish students take a standardized test called the Matura. The minimum score to pass is 30%, and a funny thing happens when students score a 29...

Edit: Graph
http://imgur.com/4nnbyru
Which part of the document? I can only feed so much into Google Translate at a time and I don't want to scan the whole thing that way.

I'm taking this on faith from the guy who made the graph myself, I speak no Polish.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:41 pm »

It's pretty clear that some people get a chance to try the test again. Some of them got 31% or more on the 2nd attempt. Maybe if your within 5% of the cutoff you get a 2nd try?

There's a tendency to go "OMG someone got a second try at a test how unfair" but that's forgetting the purpose of education is to teach people, not to judge people. That was the backlash at make up tests being added in Alabama state schools: conservatives decried those evil misguided liberals giving kids a second chance at learning the curriculum: : "you failed Algebra 101 once, you don't get another chance for life!" seems to be the message. Which is utterly retarded. The two alternatives are to shove kids through the system who haven't learned the material - but we get to feel all warm an fuzzy because we judged them as failures. How fun. Or, we hold them back a year and repeat every class for them even if they only failed one subject. Which is a costly waste of time for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:27:13 pm by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:58 am »

Well, it's not clear they got a second chance. It's as likely that teachers fudge the results of people right beneath the grade cutoff to make them pass, similar to what happened to Helgoland's friend.

I remember reading a study that found something similar in scientific papers (well, it was psychology, but still): looking at all the results, you had not nearly has many results right above the 0.05 p-value as you'd expect. It seems that scientists, when facing results with a p-value slightly to high to be 'significative' would find a way to fudge them, maybe drop a couple of outliers, or try another statistical test.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: November 12, 2014, 02:32:13 am »

On Poland, I found a very interesting graph. After completing secondary school, Polish students take a standardized test called the Matura. The minimum score to pass is 30%, and a funny thing happens when students score a 29...

Edit: Graph
http://imgur.com/4nnbyru
Which part of the document? I can only feed so much into Google Translate at a time and I don't want to scan the whole thing that way.

LOL, look at p. 18.

I'm taking this on faith from the guy who made the graph myself, I speak no Polish.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: November 12, 2014, 11:41:50 am »

U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

They're welcome to enforce that treaty once they get around to dealing with human rights violations around the world they ignore. Or even that gun ban.

The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) has said Uruguay's new bill contravened the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, which it says requires states to limit the use of cannabis to medical and scientific purposes, due to its dependence-producing potential. The Vienna-based INCB monitors compliance with this and two other drug control treaties.
Yeah, the bill based on made up 'science' created by the fear industry is very relevant to individual states deciding to decriminalize.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:43:36 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: November 12, 2014, 11:49:17 am »

... wait, "dependence-producing potential"? That alcohol and tobacco already demonstrably have, yet are legal outside of medical and scientific purposes? What?

Though looking at the convention thing itself, it looks like tobacco wouldn't be a narcotic (sleep inducing drug, by the apparent definition). Alcohol definitely is, though. And it's clear. So the convention can screw off, the hypocritical arse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »

Either its me or the articles use of 'convention' instead of law means its not actually law, but rather a non-binding agreement?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: November 12, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »

It's not a law (the UN can't make laws) but I think a convention is one of the stronger meaningless agreements they can make.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: November 12, 2014, 05:16:52 pm »

A convention is a legit treaty. Legally, it trumps all domestic law, up to and including the US Constitution. Nobody in their right mind should believe this changes anything, though - the state laws are trumped by Federal law, too, and it's equally unenforced.

EDIT: But it isn't self-executing so it has no actual legal force. Ha. The United States federal government is just legally obligated to implement laws that give effect to it, which it has, and those are already being ignored.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that treaties only really apply to nations that have ratified them (the US seems to have ratified this one), or to all nations when they're so widely adopted that they become considered customary international law because basically everybody's on board (like the Law of the Sea conventions), and customary international law is subordinate to domestic law. Because consistency is the last refuge of lawyers, legislators, and judges who don't enjoy job security.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:22:09 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: November 12, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »

This is actually a brilliant angle to push legalization within the US. Just tell Republicans that the UN has a convention against the recreational use of marijuana. Before you know it, they'll be sponsoring legislation to give Federal subsidies to pot growers, just to fuck with the UN.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:45 pm »

Okay, the more I look at the Minnesota-Senate election results, the more confused I get.  Franken did much better than I would have imagined in the rural parts of the state (winning districts 1,7, and Eight) even though he's been lambasted as "Hollywood Liberal" since he started.  He would have won anyways (Minneapolis, St Paul, and the Iron Range bring enough D votes that any Republican is fucked statewide...see Secretary of State race for example) but to win by the margin he did was quite impressive.  http://electionresults.sos.state.mn.us/

Also, all three rural Democrats won in the state, even in MN-08 which the GOP went after hard.

EDIT: I know his opponent was a frickin' moron, but that's enough to explain everything.

EDIT2: It's more of a what did he (and other national MN Dems) do to resist the GOP wave that wiped all the other ones out?

Not that MN Dems completely held up, the State House fell to the Republicans.  State Senate wasn't up this year, still a Democratic majority.

EDIT3 (I am the edit master): It looks as if Sullivan has been called for Alaska-Senate.  So what is that, 54-46 GOP Senate?

EDIT4: The 54-46 is assuming Landrieu loses in Louisiana runoff.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:32:55 pm by Jervill »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:39 pm »

Oh, that reminds me...Michele Bachmann didn't run for re-election. Whatever will we do without her wisdom?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: November 12, 2014, 10:45:55 pm »

Please don't remind me of her.  I live in MN-06 now (work related).  She was replaced by the just as horrible Tom Emmer (last seen losing MN-Gov to Dayton in 2010.)

Incidentally, Dayton won MN-Gov in 2014, with an outright majority.  First outright majority since former Republican (now Independent) Arne Carlson in 1994.

EDIT: Also, fuck Bachmann.  She only one 1/8 of the state with barely 50% of the vote and would get crushed statewide.  To make things worse, she's actually from Iowa.  She is an embarrassment to the state.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:57:31 pm by Jervill »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: November 12, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »

Guys stop discussing American politics in this thread, we have Sheb's thread for that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: November 13, 2014, 02:32:24 am »

Guys stop discussing American politics in this thread, we have Sheb's thread for that.

When I read the first part of the sentence, I was like "How crap, they're talking 'Murrica in my thread again", forgetting this was the US thread. The second part made me burst out laughing.  :P

Also, not a word on the US-China climate deal? Obama vowed a 26% reduction from 2005 levels by 2025.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:02:40 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 667