Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825660 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9000 on: October 10, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »

I don't really see how the potential for post-scarcity is so far off.  Politically, yes, but not materially.
Do you see construction work being automated any time soon? Daycare? Any sort of job in R&D?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: October 10, 2014, 12:26:16 pm »

Construction work, yes. Daycare, maybe. R&D, certain aspects, yes.

Regardless, aside from construction work, those aren't required for a post-scarcity society. For one, daycare wouldn't necessarily need to be around if most people don't need to work while having young children, and for another, the people interested in research and development would do it regardless.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: October 10, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »

I see you've never been anywhere near a construction site. Oh, and there's also medicine, I think we're still a far way away from autodocs. And education, you need a real person to push the students, most people are too lazy to get anywhere with self-education.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:30:15 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

It's a failure of the imagination to not see a myriad of ways to create self-constructing, self-raising structures.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: October 10, 2014, 12:30:37 pm »

There's a difference between "imaginable" and "not far off".

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9005 on: October 10, 2014, 12:32:49 pm »

I'm afraid it'll take more than just developing technology, or even politics, to bring about lasting change. You need cultural change, too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: October 10, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »

There are a million things that go wrong in construction, and you really need skilled construction workers to stop them from turning the building into a deathtrap. Starting with foundations, which you definitely need for any sort of building. There's just no telling if there's problems underground until you dig and run into a cavern, or an underground stream, or a layer of soft rock.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »

There are a million things that go wrong in construction, and you really need skilled construction workers to stop them from turning the building into a deathtrap. Starting with foundations, which you definitely need for any sort of building. There's just no telling if there's problems underground until you dig and run into a cavern, or an underground stream, or a layer of soft rock.

I could see construction work being automated for pre-planned, mass-produced housing units-a few steps up from trailers. Even then, there are just so many things that can go wrong that you'll need supervisors around the robots to make sure they don't screw up.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: October 10, 2014, 12:41:56 pm »

I still don't see anything here that a particularly sophisticated system can't automate.

Whatever it is that construction foremen and experience construction workers DO to ensure the building is stable, a system would be able to do as well. Especially if it's a learning system, and ESPECIALLY if it's a strong-A.I. system.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: October 10, 2014, 12:52:32 pm »

Full automation and AI is a century far off.

However, partial automation can be achieved pretty soon. i.e. exosuits and such would really help in construction works. They're already being used in South Korea ship construction facilities, so it's not just a science fiction.

Probably also some controlled from a distance robots in about 20-30 years, for especially dangerous zones.
._.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: October 10, 2014, 01:00:34 pm »

it is not that they absolutely can't be automated, it is that they can't be fully automated right now.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: October 10, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »

I still don't see anything here that a particularly sophisticated system can't automate.

Whatever it is that construction foremen and experience construction workers DO to ensure the building is stable, a system would be able to do as well. Especially if it's a learning system, and ESPECIALLY if it's a strong-A.I. system.
Do note that I'm not claiming it's impossible - it certainly isn't -, but that it's still far away.

Also note that it would be quite hard to print brick or any other kind of stone; carbon-based polymers generally have characteristics unsuitable for use as a building material and need to be produced from increasingly scarce fossil fuels.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:23 pm »

Also note that it would be quite hard to print brick or any other kind of stone...

It is too bad we don't have enough Tungsten to make a magma-based 3d printer.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: October 10, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

I was under the impression we already had teleoperation?
So far as I'm aware, yes. Sees particularly notable use in medical and military fields, that I'm aware of. Looks like we're starting to see an increase in civilian usage, even. Y'know, beyond RC cars and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: October 10, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »

A brick-laying machine doesn't need to create the actual brick itself on-site, of course. It just needs to be able to see where a brick needs to be, get itself there, modify the brick if needed, and place the brick.
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 667