Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825236 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8595 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:14 pm »

And those higher estimates are just blindingly obviously horrible.  A biased source (advocacy group) used a biased sample (gun owners who carry who volunteered to participate in the survey) and assumed zero false positives and perfect extrapolation.  I struggle to think how you could arrive at a less accurate result without outright fabricating data.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »

And those higher estimates are just blindingly obviously horrible.  A biased source (advocacy group) used a biased sample (gun owners who carry who volunteered to participate in the survey) and assumed zero false positives and perfect extrapolation.  I struggle to think how you could arrive at a less accurate result without outright fabricating data.
Dude, there are like... 60 gorrillion uses of guns for self defence every day.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

If you live in a society where you have to use guns 60 gorrillion times for self defence every day, then you're living in a crazy society.
._.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:00 pm »

If you live in a society where you have to use guns 60 gorrillion times for self defence every day, then you're living in a crazy society.
No, just in America. Oh wait, same thing...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:50 pm »

No, just in America. Oh wait, same thing...
It should be noted that our rates of burglary, rape, and robbery are, generally speaking, significantly lower than the UK's, and often comparable to other European countries. If you remove the slums of major cities (where almost nobody would willingly live or spend time in anyway), the U.S. turns into an incredibly safe country, homicides included.

In addition, only about 7% of burglaries in the U.S. happen when the victim is at home, compared to over 40% in the U.K. Like it or not, criminals are scared of people being able to defend themselves.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: September 01, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »

It should be noted that our rates of burglary, rape, and robbery are, generally speaking, significantly lower than the UK's, and often comparable to other European countries. If you remove the slums of major cities (where almost nobody would willingly live or spend time in anyway), the U.S. turns into an incredibly safe country, homicides included.

Nope.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: September 01, 2014, 06:32:23 pm »

Nope.
Those stats for the U.S. are noticeably higher than the FBI's own, and my point still stands regarding burglary, with either set of statistics.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/16tabledatadecpdf

Edit: Interestingly enough, the suicide rate in the U.K. and U.S. is also comparable, though the U.S. is slightly higher. (11.8 per 100,000 to 12.3 for the U.S.)

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/suicides-in-the-united-kingdom/2011/stb-suicide-bulletin.html

The U.S. source is apparently from a CDC report that I couldn't find online ('Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011 - Selected Causes.'National Vital Statistics Reports (NVSS); Vol 61, No. 6, pp.40-42. Hyattsville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control Prevention, Division of Vital Statistics. 10 October.), but the following PDF gives an almost identical rate for 2010:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_04.pdf
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:57:59 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: September 01, 2014, 06:34:45 pm »

Even if they weren't, the US has significantly lower rates of robbery, burglary, and assault compared to England & Wales according to the OECD report, though. The cases of rape are very close in the US and England & Wales (28.6 per 100,000 and 27.7 per 100,000, respectively.) The only major differences are in homicide (5 and 1.1, respectively) and vehicle theft (258 and 215 per 100,000, respectively.) If you include Scotland and Northern Ireland in there, the UK in it's entirety does, in fact, have higher crime rates than the US with a fraction of the population.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:51 pm »

You understand that the fact it's a rate means that population size isn't really relevant?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

Nope.

The punitivity is partially bloated by the whole 'war on drugs' thing. Not saying it's false, just that it's one reason why it's so high.

Vehicle thefts are similar, though offset by the fact that we have a larger population and also, more cars.

Reported burglaries are higher than in the US, but not going to speculate.

Cases of assault, I guess because people actually survive more? Scotland though.......

Robbery is similar.

Rape cases are similar too.

Intentional homicides... Yeah :/ only ones worse are Mexico and Estonia. Didn't expect Estonia to have it worse though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: September 01, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »

That ignores the fact that a smaller population is much easier to skew. If, for example, both a population of 10,000 and one of 100,000 had a .1% murder rate in a given year (This would be 10 and 100 murders in that year), and both populations experienced the same crime (let's say someone cut the brakes on a car and killed a family of 4), the smaller population would go from 10 murders to 14, an increase of .4%, while the larger one would go from 100 to 104, an increase of only .04%. For this reason, statistical comparisons between groups that vary greatly in numbers are of little use, and any analysis should be purely internal, taking data before and after the introduction of whatever measure you're trying to compare.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: September 01, 2014, 07:11:28 pm »

My post on the last page has been edited with more info regarding suicide rates.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: September 01, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

That ignores the fact that a smaller population is much easier to skew. If, for example, both a population of 10,000 and one of 100,000 had a .1% murder rate in a given year (This would be 10 and 100 murders in that year), and both populations experienced the same crime (let's say someone cut the brakes on a car and killed a family of 4), the smaller population would go from 10 murders to 14, an increase of .4%, while the larger one would go from 100 to 104, an increase of only .04%. For this reason, statistical comparisons between groups that vary greatly in numbers are of little use, and any analysis should be purely internal, taking data before and after the introduction of whatever measure you're trying to compare.
Uh, except that only one murder of a family of 4 in a population of 100,000 instead of 10 families murdered means that it would be a SAFER PLACE.
That's not "uselessly skewed data" lol? That's exactly what you want to be measuring, and it is accurately telling you the relative safety! The 0.04 vs. 0.4 is useful and meaningful in that example.
Also, none of these countries are anywhere remotely close to 10,000 or 100,000 people, so individual events aren't even at all approaching the swing on overall rates as these.

The stats are perfectly fine and useful for these comparisons, and are in fact much better and stronger statistically than, for instance, the FDA clinical drug trials you trust your life to whenever you take prescription medication... By several orders of magnitude.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:38 pm »

For this reason, statistical comparisons between groups that vary greatly in numbers are of little use, and any analysis should be purely internal, taking data before and after the introduction of whatever measure you're trying to compare.
This would seem to imply that statistics are entirely worthless, since sample sizes are typically much smaller than population sizes. I think you've got a flaw in your reasoning somewhere.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: September 01, 2014, 10:02:23 pm »

It's not even statistics at all unless you're predicting the next year. The data itself is simply reporting all the information there is in the entire group, since presumably they keep all crime records. 100% accurate, outside of a few random people who don't report their house being burgled, because... reasons.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 667