Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821872 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8145 on: August 17, 2014, 05:09:01 am »

You know, that reminds me of the "demographic trend map" thingy you had in the American election megathread; It was rather funny;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8146 on: August 17, 2014, 08:49:38 am »

libral hipster capital
Nuke it from orbit and bankrupt apple before it's too late

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:09 am »

hipsters ruin everything, even texas

just let the bastards secede and have them slaughter the lot

then bomb everything before they figure out they can do slavery again

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:23 am »

For those who want a bit of background on the Ferguson Police Department, I'm not sure if this has been linked yet.

Ferguson police department arrested the wrong man, beat him, then charged him with destruction of county property for bleeding on their uniforms. When he filed a civil claim against them the officers then denied ever being bled on. When confronted with their sworn statement that he destroyed their uniforms by bleeding on them, they once again denied that he in any way bled on them.

But however lax the department’s system and however contradictory the officers’ testimony, a federal magistrate ruled that the apparent perjury about the “property damage” charges was too minor to constitute a violation of due process and that Davis’ injuries were de minimis—too minor to warrant a finding of excessive force. Never mind that a CAT scan taken after the incident confirmed that he had suffered a concussion.

Schottel has appealed and expects to argue the case in December. He will contend that perjury is perjury however minor the charge and note that both the NFL and Major League Baseball have learned to consider a concussion a serious injury.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:07 am »

Sounds corrupt, if anything, and definetly not how a police department should act. I wouldn't be surprised if racism was deeply embedded in there.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: August 17, 2014, 11:01:49 am »

Pretty messed up. I don't suppose you know where about the court case took place?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: August 17, 2014, 11:10:50 am »

Also, I wonder why they haven't mentioned about that or noticed about it on CNN.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: August 17, 2014, 11:28:28 am »

... probably because that's kinda' normal in the states. Not particularly newsworthy, a great number of places seem to have very similar stories. Honestly, the "casual" (read: day to day stuff) police bullshit doesn't really get much air time, not on the major news channels.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: August 17, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »

Many of the news sites are really working the "Police Officer had a perfectly clean record, a police officer in Ferguson would never do the sort of thing he's accused of doing shooting an unarmed teen because that's not what they're training says, and the past evidence of the teen pushing someone in a convenience store meant he was a violent criminal who totally would have attacked the police officer for no reason"

They are ignoring both a) the Ferguson police definitely have a history of pulling stupid shit and this totally fits the pattern, and b) The officer has a clean record because the department intentionally throws out complaints and black marks against it's officers, keeping them for AT MOST 6 months.

Regardless of whether it happens elsewhere frequently, it's relevant to the story, because it helps people understand exactly what sort of organization the FPD (and county) is.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: August 17, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

It's a clean record because they use a lot of soap.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:48 pm »

Regardless of whether it happens elsewhere frequently, it's relevant to the story, because it helps people understand exactly what sort of organization the FPD (and county) is.
Yeah, point I was half-heartedly making is that it's more of a "don't shit in your own backyard" kinda' deal, mixed in with a non-negligible amount of police forces being noted for making things more difficult for folks that give 'em a bad rap (even, hell, especially, if it's a deserved one). Bad cop stuff doesn't hit air very often because it's bad for the local area reputation and the news organization's ability to make money (or at least individual reporter's ability to keep their ruddy job), at least insofar as I've been able to tell.

And for whatever reason, cops are incredibly unwilling to throw their bad apples under the bus, and very much willing to shit all over everybody that tries to do just that. So you've got a lot of mitigating factors when it comes to large-scale public coverage of police fuckery. Y'get the occasional big ticket stuff, like what's going on in ferg, but as Gryph notes major news stations spin that shit like a carnival ride of rapidly oscillating gyroscopic dicks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: August 17, 2014, 01:25:00 pm »

This "whatever reason" is called "class warfare". The class of policemen is sufficiently segregated from the rest of population to give rise to class self-consciousness. And that means that one policemen will defend the other policemen from outside attacks, no matter what they actually did.

By trying to combat the racial segregation, the states apparently created the self-conscious police class.

The only way to deal with self-conscious classes and make them serve the people is to take control over them out of their hands. So that policemen are not commanded by policemen.
._.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: August 17, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »

And for whatever reason, cops are incredibly unwilling to throw their bad apples under the bus, and very much willing to shit all over everybody that tries to do just that. So you've got a lot of mitigating factors when it comes to large-scale public coverage of police fuckery. Y'get the occasional big ticket stuff, like what's going on in ferg, but as Gryph notes major news stations spin that shit like a carnival ride of rapidly oscillating gyroscopic dicks.

I can think of three major potential reasons that would apply:
1) Experience: They may not be the cleanest, but at least they do their job for the most part, or they know how to go about performing specific areas very well.
2) Connections: They know people who would make it an utter pain to continue on without the bad apple.
3) Hard to Replace: Even if they don't fall into the other two categories, they might not be wanted to get rid of due to the fact that there might not be a person to replace them with.  Attitude might be enforced by the general unwillingness to cooperate with the police that many people exhibit, and the general disdain given to them.

The only way to deal with self-conscious classes and make them serve the people is to take control over them out of their hands. So that policemen are not commanded by policemen.

Problem arises from: who would they use that actually has effective knowledge to command them that isn't either an officer, or a former officer? 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:29:33 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: August 17, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »

By trying to combat the racial segregation, the states apparently created the self-conscious police class.
I agree with the rest of what you've said more or less but I'm gonna need to see some reasoning on this one? I don't see any particular connection here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: August 17, 2014, 02:05:17 pm »

Well, it's more like the racism was generally pushed out of minds of normal people, but instead it concentrated in the minds of policemen.

Notice how all the big outcries are because of how police deals with black people?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 667