Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820284 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6735 on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:15 am »

Of course, nevermind that the way we do prisons is a bad idea from start to finish anyway.... Ugh. The only way I see fixing this problem among others is to tear the whole prison system down and build anew, focusing on crime prevention and with punishment being incidental.
Would that be before or after clean, reliable fusion power is implemented nationwide?
Before, but after the robot revolution where humanity no longer needs to perform physical labor.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: May 13, 2014, 10:35:23 am »

That won't happen. The robot AI overlord will see us as adorable pets it needs to keep safe and happy.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: May 13, 2014, 10:38:44 am »

Copying Norway, maybe?
I assume Norway's prison system is based on Trial By Viking?  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:29 am »

* kaijyuu would be a robot collaborator if it meant he could sit around and play video games all day.

Copying Norway, maybe?
I assume Norway's prison system is based on Trial By Viking?  :P
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: May 13, 2014, 10:41:11 am »

That article is just propaganda. In reality, Iceland is secretly Scandinavia's Australia, where we exile every non-behaving criminal.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:30 am »

I'd like to think Iceland is peaceful because rather than prison, they just toss criminals into volcanoes. Doubles as population control.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: May 13, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

I'd like to think Iceland is peaceful because rather than prison, they just toss criminals into volcanoes. Doubles as population control.
Imagine America's Three-Strikes system there?

'You stole a cookie three times. Into the volcano!'
Actually, you'd go into prison while appeals are hashed out for the next 15 years, THEN thrown into a volcano.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: May 13, 2014, 10:53:12 am »

On the plus side, the prison is also in the volcano.
Love, scriver~

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:12 am »

But people dislike being pets!
Maybe some people.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:55 am »

On the plus side, the prison is also in the volcano.
Iceland is Dwarf Fortress?

Actually, that sounds accurate:

Long, strange names with no pattern of patronymy,
Magma.
Surviving mostly by fishing and eating things like shark livers.
Population are mostly bearded alcoholics.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: May 13, 2014, 11:02:17 am »

I can only assume Scriver also lives inside a volcano.

* Darvi pulls the lever.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »

* The Drawbridge lowers and lets in the goblin siege.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »

Honestly, the largest flaws in the US prison sytem are not caused by the way prisons are designed and operated (although there is certainly room for improvement there), but rather on the legislative and judicial end. Politicians are pushed into DOING SOMETHING about the latest crime spike , resulting in excessive amounts of bad* legislation, while most judges are elected, meaning that they feel the need to appear "tough on crime" to the minority that actually votes in judicial elections, resulting in them tending towards higher sentences in election years. The easiest way to reduce this is to make any reduction in maximum sentence, decriminalization, or legalization retroactive (thus, if you got a 15 year sentence for dealing crack back when the "crack is five times as bad as cocaine" law was in effect, eliminating that law would reduce your sentence to whatever the maximum for cocaine dealing is, releasing you if you're already beyond that), and by eliminating judicial elections to remove them from the heat of public opinion. This would vastly reduce incarceration rates.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: May 13, 2014, 03:49:39 pm »

The Prison Industrial complex probably hasn't helped either. More prisoners = Mo Money.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:42 am »

Eight years for setting fire to a trash can? I'd rather have lynch justice. Texas confirmed for dystopian hellhole.

He didn't set fire to a trashcan, he made two molotov cocktails and threw them over a fence at a house and it just happened to only catch some trash cans on fire. Considering he had a history of starting fires, hurting people, and threatening to blow up his school... he most likely intended to burn that house down.

Not that he deserved to be raped till he killed himself of course, but it was attempted arson   not some innocent childhood prank.

On top of that, he was not even in an "adult" prison when the rapes and suicide took place - he was already in a unit for younger offenders and most or all of the abuse was by boys around his own age. The law in question would almost certainly have done nothing to help him.

Which is not to say the law is bad and rick perry is some kind of hero, he's still a terrible person. I just don't understand why people (referring whoever wrote the linked article, not Helgoland) have to make things out to be worse then they are when the reality is already bad enough.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 667