Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820397 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6705 on: April 28, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »

She's right about the protections though, look at all the pains the US government is taking to prevent Manning from hurting herself!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: April 28, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »

The equation seems pretty simple to me. Definitely do jail time in a Federal Prison in the US for the rest of your life, or ???? in Russia.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: April 28, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

I think it's a sad reflection on any nations' prison system when a person would prefer a life in Russia to a life in prison.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »

I think it's a sad reflection on any nations' prison system when a person would prefer a life in Russia to a life in prison.
Now you jest.  There are worse places to be.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: April 28, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »

Somalia, to my understanding, is basically like American prison multiplied by Mexican prison to the power of Russia :P
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »

Now, come come, people. I'm going to be studying abroad in Russia the year after this coming one.

(To be fair, that's in St. Petersburg, not nowheresville in Siberia...)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »

I'd like to think it's more poetic than that. That to come back to America and get a life sentence would be like admitting he'd committed a crime, which he doesn't believe he did.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: April 28, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »

Somalia, to my understanding, is basically like American prison multiplied by Mexican prison to the power of Russia :P
Depends on where you go.  Downtown Mogadishu on the front lines, sure.  Outside of that, people make do, and by the time you reach Puntland or the Republic of Somaliland (recognition pending), you actually get something that starts to vaguely resemble a state. 

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »

Depends on where you go.  Downtown Mogadishu on the front lines, sure.  Outside of that, people make do, and by the time you reach Puntland or the Republic of Somaliland (recognition pending), you actually get something that starts to vaguely resemble a state.
...I'm pretty sure I have an atlas from the previous century with Somaliland. I had to go and look them up and I found that: a) they've been independent since the 1991. b) No one, no one at all, recognizes them (A lone Owlbread stands on a highway and sheds a tear), and c) I still don't know what up with that name. I can't get over how weird that name is, it's like a Disneyland but for, Somalia?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »

land of somalis

this makes very good sense if you have a decent understanding of how german naming of countries works

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: April 28, 2014, 11:50:37 pm »

land of somalis

this makes very good sense if you have a decent understanding of how german naming of countries works
Not just german. -Stan means "land of". So why not Somalistan?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:41 am »

Because Somali don't speak the language that "-stan" comes from?

It'd be like asking why we don't call German, "Germanistan".
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:31 am »

Right, because that's Persian. Which is mostly spoken in, surprise surprise, Persia, which is notably not any of the 'stans. Which means it makes equally little sense.

More research tells me that Somaliland thinks that it is the successor to British Somaliland, which refers back to when Somalia was divided into the French Somaliland, British, Italy, etc, none of which, I feel the need to point out, are Germany. However I will concede there is more logic in that it is a British name, but damn, they are isolated as hell in their quest for independence. In that they are functionally independent but it's irrelevant because no one cares.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: April 29, 2014, 12:38:12 am »

I don't know why you felt the need to point that out, considering I just used "Germany" as an example of a country that does not speak Persian and has no real connection to Persian, like Somaliland :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: April 29, 2014, 12:43:02 am »

Right, because that's Persian. Which is mostly spoken in, surprise surprise, Persia, which is notably not any of the 'stans. Which means it makes equally little sense.

More research tells me that Somaliland thinks that it is the successor to British Somaliland, which refers back to when Somalia was divided into the French Somaliland, British, Italy, etc, none of which, I feel the need to point out, are Germany. However I will concede there is more logic in that it is a British name, but damn, they are isolated as hell in their quest for independence. In that they are functionally independent but it's irrelevant because no one cares.
Persia has been the cultural epicenter for its region since Neo-Assyria and Babylon fell; it's had a wee bit of time to leave its mark on the Turkic peoples, in the Caucasus, and along the (modern) Indian hinterland.  It's rather unsurprising that most of the -stans thus exist in the regions culturally tied to Persia (or the regions where these peoples migrated), from Pakistan and Rajasthan in the east, on north to Kazakhstan and Bashkortostan, over to Tatarstan, Hayastan (Armenia), Dagestan, and Kurdistan.  By contrast, Arabs had their own cultural epicenter for much of this period in Arabia and Egypt; that's why you won't see nearly as many nations comprised of Arabs or those who existed within the Arabic hegemonizing influence using it.  The only odd part about Somaliland is that they actually transliterated it back into Somali, but even that's not that surprising when you consider that there was no real independent, unified power that dominated the region, but rather a succession of independent minor sultanates that were subsumed by the Ottomans, Egyptians, and eventually the British.  Any native name would favour individual clans, and of the non-native options, the British are the most recent and most prosperous, not to mention the most distant. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:45:56 am by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 667