Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820483 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6690 on: April 26, 2014, 02:54:04 pm »

The militia movement in the US is small but diverse, generally united in that they are: (a) legal paramilitary groups (b) opposed to the federal power government (c) associated with fringe movements, and often with conspiracy theories. Those factors, none of which I am particularly fond of, are mixed together into the militia movement, with most claiming to be defenders of the US constitution. I am fine with them as long as they are fine with the FBI monitoring them.

It should be noted that Cliven Bundy was not known for racism, only for his opposition to the Federal government on that issue. Thus, all militia members who came to his ranch came solely for their opposition to the federal government; as that factor is representative of the militia movement as a whole, it cannot be claimed that they represent a minority. The NY times reporter who caught the quote, Adam Nagourney, said that none of Bundy’s supporters reacted to the quote and no one from Bundy’s entourage sought to clarify or defend it, suggesting they had no problem with it (Source). There are a few people trying to defend him actually, saying that it was taken out of context (Caught on video of course).

And I should note his association with militias merely endeared him to the few who publicly supported him, although many (including most of the right, and the main tea-party groups) did not. It was his racism that has them running, and it is a common refrain on the far-right internet that he went and said something right awkwardly and the media jumped on him.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: April 26, 2014, 02:55:46 pm »

You are conflating the general pro-gun movement with the militia movement.  While it's true that the militia movement is pro-gun it would be incorrect to say that pro-gun people support the militia movement (although they may be sympathetic, that's a very different thing).  The militia movement in common american parlance refers to those who don't recognize the authority of the US government or believe that in the very near future the US government is going to transform into a totalitarian state and are actively preparing for violence.  The NRA doesn't endorse views remotely like that and the NRA is to the right of your average gun owner.  Even the most libertarian elected officials don't support that.  Ron Paul had some associations with the militia movement but went to great lengths to distance himself from them.

If you are talking about the militia movement you aren't just generally talking about the anti-government far right.  You are talking about a very, very tiny minority that somewhat resembles a bunch of cults without the charismatic leader part.  It's hard to show that racism is prevalent simply because such a small movement is difficult to pin down, especially when it's members drift in and out.

I don't think there is a European equivalence of the militia movement.  Self defense movements in Europe are not an analogue.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:58:55 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: April 27, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »

In other news, Colorado continues to be super-awesome and non-evil!

The proposal, sponsored by Sens. Jessie Ulibarri, D-Westminster, and Vicki Marble, R-Fort Collins, allows anyone convicted of a marijuana offense, which would now be legal under Amendment 64, to have their records sealed. Also, a draft of the bill says that a person convicted of "any other marijuana offense" beyond the scope of Amendment 64 would also be allowed to file a petition with a district attorney to have their record sealed. If the district attorney does not object, the court would then be required to seal the conviction record, according to a draft of the proposal.

Amendment 64 went into effect in December 2012 and allows for the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana for Coloradans over the age of 21. Moreover, it allows for adults to grow and cultivate their own marijuana.

"There are tens of thousands of people with previous cannabis offenses that hurt them from getting things like loans, housing and employment," said Jason Warf, a marijuana advocate and director of Colorado Springs Medical Cannabis Council.

Meanwhile, as a counterpoint Washington has just banned medical marijuana.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:46:02 pm by GlyphGryph »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: April 27, 2014, 11:37:39 pm »

In other news, Colorado continues to be super-awesome and non-evil!

The proposal, sponsored by Sens. Jessie Ulibarri, D-Westminster, and Vicki Marble, R-Fort Collins, allows anyone convicted of a marijuana offense, which would now be legal under Amendment 64, to have their records sealed. Also, a draft of the bill says that a person convicted of "any other marijuana offense" beyond the scope of Amendment 64 would also be allowed to file a petition with a district attorney to have their record sealed. If the district attorney does not object, the court would then be required to seal the conviction record, according to a draft of the proposal.

Amendment 64 went into effect in December 2012 and allows for the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana for Coloradans over the age of 21. Moreover, it allows for adults to grow and cultivate their own marijuana.

"There are tens of thousands of people with previous cannabis offenses that hurt them from getting things like loans, housing and employment," said Jason Warf, a marijuana advocate and director of Colorado Springs Medical Cannabis Council.

Meanwhile, as a counterpoint Washington has just banned medical marijuana.
Cripes, that surprised me for a moment.  I thought you meant that the federal government had just banned it, which would neatly overrule Colorado and likely render all of that state's legislation on the matter irrelevant.  I looked up what you were talking about, but it doesn't look like Washington state has actually banned medical marijuana entirely, just collective farms that grow medical marijuana for mass sale.  If you have a permit, you can still grow your own, so long as it is for your own use. 

Though, of course, it's worth noting that this is likely enough to do quite a number on quasi-legal marijuana use in the state as well as purely-legitimate medical uses; imagine if a state decided to "ban alcohol sales, except for that which you brew yourself."  Technically not banning alcohol, but it may as well as far as the practical effects are concerned. 

EDIT:
OK, reading the actual ruling.  That's...actually a pretty flat ban, though I suppose it'd be more accurate to say that it was in fact never legalized in the first place.  However, on the flip side, you can still assert that by growing medical marijuana, you have violated no state laws so long as you fulfill the parts of the "affirmative defense" sections that do not rely on the registry for medical use (which was line-veto'd and never enacted). 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:51:46 pm by Culise »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: April 28, 2014, 02:51:18 am »

Actually, the federal government do ban every use of marijuana. Obama just decided not to enforce those laws if in a state that legalized it.

Also, I don't think your comparison with alcohol hold water. Growing good pot is just way easier than anything to do with brewing alcohol, and require basically no investment other than a couple seeds. The dawn thing will rapidly turn into a huge bush all of its own.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: April 28, 2014, 10:28:06 am »

Easier than brewing good alcohol, maybe. Sugary water and yeast are adequate if you're just in it to get trashed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:02 am »

Yeah, I actually meant to insert  a 'decent' in there. But seriously, pot is so easy to grow... A bit labor-intensive to cure, sure, but so easy... It really makes you realize what a huge premium you pay for illegality.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:55 am »

Alcohol is honestly pretty damn easy to brew, too.

Both are just about providing the proper environment and then letting life do its thing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:46 am »

Yeah, I actually meant to insert  a 'decent' in there. But seriously, pot is so easy to grow... A bit labor-intensive to cure, sure, but so easy... It really makes you realize what a huge premium you pay for illegality.
All that money funds the cartels to our south...  So yea... Those guys have been killing each other for quite awhile, so you know, gotta be some good money if they are still willing to kill others and die/imprisoned for it.
>.>  Kinda like prohibition.

Enough people in our government probably finally realized that and decided to let these State level experiments happen.
EDIT: Plus tax revenue.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:56:29 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: April 28, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »

So a cleric filed a suit in North Carolina asking for the repeal of Amendment One (banning gay marriage) on the ground that it infringe on his religious freedom to perform gay marriages.

"The clergymen, representing the United Church of Christ, as well as Lutheran, Baptist, and Unitarian congregations jointly filed a federal challenge to Amendment One – recently passed by voters – in Western District of North Carolina."

I had correctly guessed every domination that would be involved before the link loaded except for the one in bold. I know some pastors of Baptist congregations have come under fire for supporting marriage equality, but I so rarely find a story about a whole congregation in that denomination also supporting it. This will teach me to doubt progress.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: April 28, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »

Slight clarification: They're asking for a federal override of Amendment One. You can't sue to repeal an amendment, state or federal.
So a cleric filed a suit in North Carolina asking for the repeal of Amendment One (banning gay marriage) on the ground that it infringe on his religious freedom to perform gay marriages.

"The clergymen, representing the United Church of Christ, as well as Lutheran, Baptist, and Unitarian congregations jointly filed a federal challenge to Amendment One – recently passed by voters – in Western District of North Carolina."

I had correctly guessed every domination that would be involved before the link loaded except for the one in bold. I know some pastors of Baptist congregations have come under fire for supporting marriage equality, but I so rarely find a story about a whole congregation in that denomination also supporting it. This will teach me to doubt progress.
Generally, conservative Baptists in the South just join the Southern Baptists, since they're here. The draining effect means that non-Southern Baptists are ironically more liberal in more conservative areas. It also makes the "you aren't real Baptists" conversations even more heated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:33 pm »

Generally, conservative Baptists in the South just join the Southern Baptists, since they're here. The draining effect means that non-Southern Baptists are ironically more liberal in more conservative areas. It also makes the "you aren't real Baptists" conversations even more heated.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I'm only used to the northern variants. Still have the "you aren't real Baptists," but it's very spread out over a variety of issues.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: April 28, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »

Hilary comes out against Snowden, says lots of mind-numbingly stupid shit that demonstrates she either doesn't understand or simply doesn't care about the things she's actually saying.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2014/04/hillary-clinton-faults-edward-snowden-for-fleeing-187445.html
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 667