Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819668 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #6120 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »

I feel like journalists learn a lot of things in college, some of which are valuable. Writing skills are perhaps even more important when you must work within constraints, and social media frequently have such constraints. Ethics are worthwhile to learn. A news outlet as an organization that really exists and its journalists have real desks means there is some accountability, some threat of backlash if the journalist lies / libels / is just shitty.

In some ways, journalism is becoming what it used to be in America. Before, you had a dozen or two newspapers in a big city, all heavily biased and printed by individuals and small groups. You were supposed to read a few papers and get a well-rounded understanding of everyone's biased reporting, which sometimes led you to understand the truth of the matter.

Then we saw aggregation of newspapers into single companies, sometimes spanning whole markets, and the same companies aggregating other media like billboards, magazines, TV stations, radio stations, etc. This horizontal monopolization (accumulating a lot of newspapers and controlling the message across geographical areas) and vertical monopolization (accumulating other media and controlling the message across various media experiences) resulted in far fewer messages being produced. So that people didn't feel betrayed and abandoned, the concept of neutral journalism emerged. This was the idea that one newspaper could offer a balanced, perhaps multiple, views on a subject and give you the truth of a matter. Frequently that failed, and many news media outlets became known for biased reporting (Fox News, etc.).

A journalist must have access. This often compromises their attempted neutrality. If you're known as the reporter who busts open stories that ruin people's businesses, how many businesses are going to want to let you past the gates? If you're known as the interviewer who browbeats the guest and sends them running away in tears, and cuts the interview to put the story in a light unfavorable to the guest, how many people will be willing to talk?

Large businesses and their owners are inherently conservative in the sense of American Republicanism - they desire unregulated markets, no government competitors, easing of monopoly restrictions, low taxes on business and the wealthy, and favorable regulation in other areas (labor law, workers' compensation, environmental, zoning, etc.). There are some news outlets with a more American Democratic message, but the needs of that business are still catered to by Republican ideals, so it's hard to make the public believe they are truly unwilling to be proponents of those ideals. This is despite the common argument that newspapers are inherently liberal, and claims by conservatives that newspapers are a haven for liberal ideals. It's a complex and strange sociological pattern that you can probably boil down to doublespeak without losing much fidelity.

As the US government and big media conglomerates joined hands to control messages, people began to feel that not only were American news outlets biased but also corrupt. No longer could you get the important news from an American source without heavy big business / American government / conservative bias. People turned to exterior news sources like BBC and Al-Jazeera. But what are the biases of these news outlets? Are there unbiased news sources that still have funding and access necessary to find out what's going on?

So we see a shift toward social media journalism. Lower quality, heavily biased, no accountability - but with so many sources, you can read many of them and get a general sense of what's going on, and approach the truth. Of course this requires, as it did before, that you read stories written by journalists who have clearly opposing viewpoints. If you stay within your echo-chamber comfort zone you will be even more misinformed than if you didn't read the news at all.

If we can just get this shift to go toward small-time training for journalists, improving their quality individually, I think we can see something very cool happen. But I think we're not going back to the heyday of investigative journalism anytime soon.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

Goddamnit, no. No, go away. Shoo! You don't want to come here, we have mosquitoes! Mosquitoes bigger than your integrity! And the air is like transparent lava half the year! Stay away!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: March 06, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »

We've abandoned this thread for two whole weeks? Oh well...

I'd vote for him.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: March 06, 2014, 10:37:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: March 14, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »

Hey, does anybody know where I could obtain a year-by-year gif of dry counties in the United States? I'm interested in seeing how it has changed but can't find good data.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:00:36 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: March 14, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

Well, we should probably get this publicized before the Ukraine thing gets out of hand.

I realize this is probably a joke, but if anyone seriously thinks that the Western World is going to risk a nuclear war over Ukraine, they are dead wrong. While what's happening there is absolutely terrible, it is quite clearly not worth the risk of annihilating the entire human species over a nation seen as low-value economically and strategically. Its sad to say, but if Russia goes all out and invades Ukraine then the US/EU will just see it as an acceptable causality. It'd be an entirely different issue if the topic at hand if we were talking about a tremendously important player in international politics, but Ukraine isn't that. Its a former soviet nation which is heavily divided between either staying within Russia's sphere of influence, or desperately trying to escape it.

Besides, it is extremely likely that, at the very least, Russia wants Crimea due to its strong significance to it. A port that is next to deep enough water to easily traverse to is of very high significance because it means Russia has trade access to the Mediterranean. While they would love to keep Ukraine as a buffer state, I guarantee that they will fight tooth and nail to keep their access to it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:27:16 pm by Verdant_Squire »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: March 14, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »

Good thing they have a treaty guaranteeing their access to that port and even allows Russian military to be stationed nearby -- oh wait.

Had. Until they illegally occupied the area and removed the Crimean representatives. So technically Russia now has no rights to the lands until they sign another deal.

Lets not forget the fact that Ukraine gave up their soviet-produced nukes to Russia in a guarantee for Russia's access to Sevastopol and the greater coastal areas; along with a non-aggression promise. Looks like someone might have just burned their dance card, good luck having non-puppet states sign any piece of worthless paper [known as a treaty in real governments] proposed by Putin & co.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:32:45 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: March 14, 2014, 06:04:37 pm »

If this is not reason enough to force the Russians back, then what is? Where is the line they absolutely cannot cross without invoking serious retaliation? Sanctions are a joke, because they have other countries that are more than happy to supply them. And if we let them get away with it because it's "not worth risking a nuclear war" over so relatively little, how many bits of "not quite enough" adds up to an unacceptable amount? Appeasement never works, and every bit of land they grab ultimately strengthens them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »

Why would we force 'em out when it'd be much cheaper to just let Russia choke on a destabilized region?

S'mostly EU's problem, anyway. Let them deal with it. Folks over there want help, they can ask (though the Ukrainian government may have, already. Don't recall.). We should probably let someone else do some lifting for once, really. We got problems enough at home. No point t'going off and screwing around in places the locals don't want us.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: March 14, 2014, 06:24:37 pm »

Yeah the US would probably just send them a bunch of weapons and let the problem sort itself out.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Fred Phelps is dying, and was apparently excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church. I was tempted to post this in the Happy Thread but I imagine that would get a bad reaction, so I'll leave it here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: March 16, 2014, 05:03:43 pm »

Tempted to protest his funeral.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: March 16, 2014, 05:13:37 pm »

Hey, remember that the guy was a civil rights lawyer back when that was a very brave thing to do - he may have been completely nuts, but he also did some very decent things. Show some respect, even if it's the founder of the WBC.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 667