Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819108 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #3990 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »

You'll probably want to peel that off into another thread, yeah. There's actually been a couple of things like that over the years, so it shouldn't be too poorly received. S'probably better than using this thread, t'boot.

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

You forgot some Ambivalent options.

The questions are actually from the class itself, so, naturally, they're totally ineptly written.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:33 pm »

On the subject of gerrymandering and alternate layouts, I'm not a fan of the split algorithms, because the nature of those algorithms and human habitation means that the points where there will be most confusion over the distinction between two (or more) districts are exactly the points where most people will be living. I'd much rather go for a clustering-based algorithm.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:42 pm »

On the subject of North Carolina and our....special brand of Republicans of late....

Fuck it, just watch this.

Worth noting that the dude was "asked to resign" by the state GOP today. But just....DAMN. Oh, and it should be noted that Buncombe County is where Asheville (a very granola-liberal college town) is located.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »

Fuck it, just watch this.
If this law hurts college students who are too lazy to get up and get a photo ID, so be it.
Hate. Hate. HATE.

And photo ID's are most certainly not free from the DMV. They cost $15.

Between this and raising my food taxes, my political life is now officially dedicated to making sure the Republicans never control this state again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »

According to a comment, he said his actual phone number on a Radio show. Call it and he is there, or he was an hour ago. 828-775-7212
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:52 pm »

Watching that on TDS last night, I happened to notice, from the general vicinity of MSH's quote, that the guy qualified black people and college students as lazy, but not white men. Probably nothing, but it struck me at the time.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:14 am »

I think the most jaw-dropping part of the whole thing was when Aasif Mandvi goes "So the law's not racist, and you're not racist, right?"

And there's this long pause before the guy goes, "Well......."

And your brain goes, "You're not seriously going to....oh shit, he's seriously going to."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:01 am »

The problem with gerrymandering is that it is a decent idea taken to its corrupt conclusion.

The decent idea is that people should be grouped by population density so that rural areas can get a representative who actually cares about their votes. Otherwise you'd get situations where a bunch of people are basically ignored because no politician is going to worry about people who only make up a small percentage of their voting base. So, in theory, you'd have larger rural areas districted together (by total population) with much smaller urban districts and each district is then at least halfway reasonably represented.
Get a variation of the German system - voting districts elect direct candidates, and lists of people provided by the parties are used to add seats so that power distribution in the house corresponds to the popular vote. That even allows for third-party candidates to get into congress without winning a direct mandate!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:08:50 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 25, 2013, 09:17:01 am »

Hell no. Party lists are extremely undemocratic.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:23 am »

Why? Usually you can express preferences inside the party list.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: October 25, 2013, 09:39:44 am »

It still puts the power to decide upon elected officials in the hands of party bosses. I'd prefer the US not return to the era of Boss Tweed, thanks.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: October 25, 2013, 10:00:45 am »

Would you be okay if the order on the list was decided by a party primary? Because this happens too.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:26 am »

I've seen enough party primaries to know they're almost always washouts. You cannot expect a partisan political organization to hold an impartial internal election. It simply will not happen.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: October 25, 2013, 10:08:26 am »

What do you mean by washouts?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:32 am »

Hell no. Party lists are extremely undemocratic.
I was just pitching a simplification of the German system. The actual German system avoids this problem, too: You have a primary vote for the direct candidate, and a secondary vote for the (national) list; the seat distribution in the house has to match the distribution of the second votes, but direct candidates always get in.
Ironically, the secondary vote is the more important one: If you like the local candidate from party A, but hate party A's list and/or program, you give your primary vote to party A's candidate and your secondary vote to party B, whose list (and program) you like better. This forces all parties to make their lists acceptable to the voter, while still allowing you to vote for a candidate without voting for the party (and vice versa).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:15:20 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 667