Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819212 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #3975 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:43 pm »

"Having elected politicians deciding the shape of their district infringe on the right of the opposition to be fairly represented".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »

Believe it or not, but you'd need a bit more detail for the ruling actually to mean anything.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 24, 2013, 06:03:24 pm »

Excuse me for not writing a 50-page memo in legalese. I'm not a Supreme Court Justice, I just expect that a ban on politicians managing the redistricting process would be doable.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »

Gerrymandering is illegal, that's why most states have committees of appointees who do the redistricting.

And they are appointed by the parties. Do you see the issue here?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »

Excuse me for not writing a 50-page memo in legalese. I'm not a Supreme Court Justice, I just expect that a ban on politicians managing the redistricting process would be doable.

It's not the legalese I want, it's the method that somehow does away with partisan influences while still being workable.

Right now you are assuming a can opener
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:10:07 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »

Well, how does the UK for exemple avoid Gerrymandering?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

Well, how does the UK for exemple avoid Gerrymandering?

Badly.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 24, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »

Redistricting is done at the state level.  How do you convince one political party to unilaterally disarm and make it certain their opposition will control the house?
"The direct count of votes says you don't deserve the House anyway (our party has the majority of House votes across the nation). If you agree with us to make districting fairer, not only will it help in the quest to repair your image, but I guarantee you that I will mention the bipartisan nature of this plan, all in the interest of fairness." I dunno, something like that?

Gerrymandering is illegal, that's why most states have committees of appointees who do the redistricting.

And they are appointed by the parties. Do you see the issue here?
Apparently not that illegal yet :)

And on a theoretical court ruling: I have yet to go over the Constitution to see what, if anything, it says about elections could possibly be applied to illegal-ifying gerrymandering. But I imagine the arguments against would go to various places such as "in particularly complexly drawn sections of the districting maps, voters may have a more difficult than usual time in discovering their proper district" and its effects on third parties, and so on.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:26 pm »

The problem with gerrymandering is that it is a decent idea taken to its corrupt conclusion.

The decent idea is that people should be grouped by population density so that rural areas can get a representative who actually cares about their votes. Otherwise you'd get situations where a bunch of people are basically ignored because no politician is going to worry about people who only make up a small percentage of their voting base. So, in theory, you'd have larger rural areas districted together (by total population) with much smaller urban districts and each district is then at least halfway reasonably represented.

This is then, of course, used as justification to have horrible district lines that make a jigsaw puzzle pieces look like they're made out of all right angles.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:47:21 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Liberalism HO! However, I agree with somethings, such as the death penalty.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »

I wonder if you seperated a state first into "Urban" and "Rural" areas, and then short-split it via algorithm? So the rural population is split into some number of districts, and each of the cities are split into some number of districts.

Might have problems with just how disparate population density is. Don't want to give rural people TOO much representation, then you have the reverse problem. If you only have 5 districts and you have 80/20 urban/rural split, then no matter how you slice the rural group if you separate them all into one group, they still only have one representative for them. Rural people are generally (?) more conservative, so we're back to the gerrymandering problem. Buggerall.

NEVERMIND.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 24, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »

I personally think the issue of not being represented is outweighed by how such contestable districts would end up leading to moderation.

It's entirely possible that, in a district with even proportions of rural and urban populations, one party may never get their candidates in the House. This is suboptimal.

However, in such a case, every candidate for the seat would have to be more moderate in order to gain enough votes and/or earn the trust of the losing side, which in this district is a competitive part of your constituency. This is good.

(Keep in mind, the American political system was never explicitly created for political parties (no matter how much that's since been integrated); we don't have to make the caucus numbers balance.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 24, 2013, 07:23:41 pm »

Nevermind, post relocated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:29:41 pm by Araph »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:47 pm »

You forgot some Ambivalent options.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 24, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »

You'll probably want to peel that off into another thread, yeah. There's actually been a couple of things like that over the years, so it shouldn't be too poorly received. S'probably better than using this thread, t'boot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 667