Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819307 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: TRES Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3285 on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »

Keep in mind though - this Reid-McConnell thing is still pretty convoluted, seeing as how they can only exert indirect influence on the House. Lotta vague hopefulness in there.

Quote from: CNN
Manchin said the goal was to get at least 65 Senate votes -- which would mean 10 or more from Republicans -- to help Speaker John Boehner generate GOP backing in the House despite certain opposition from the tea party conservative wing.

So if the TP still has enough control over Boehner, it's sunk. Amazing how this all still turns on a pivot behind that orange-tinted visage.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3286 on: October 14, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure they have been defanged in the eyes of most of the rest of the country, they're just too crazy to notice the pain of that operation :) .

You still have faith in humanity. I can't imagine why.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »

I must remind you that as head of the Republican Senate, McConnell is more then enough to not have a stick shook at him.

Regardless, even Ted Cruz as boisterously announced he would vote against it procedually; given him, that's amazing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: October 14, 2013, 10:01:21 pm »

A reminder that the state-level American government is still up and running, this time in Alabama: A bill to castrate molesters over the age of 21, with the convicted footing 100% of the bill.

For things like this, I have a quick litmus test for whether I feel it goes too far or not.

"How would you feel if the accused turned out to be innocent, and you had carried out this punishment already?"

It's what prevents me from approving of the death penalty, or of this. In fact, it has lead me towards wanting rehabilitation over punishment, and that locking someone away is an evil. Sometimes a necessary evil, not everyone can be rehabilitated, but something being necessary does not prevent it from also being evil. Necessity does not make something good, it makes something necessary.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: October 14, 2013, 10:04:55 pm »

Fails the 8th Amendment pretty spectacularly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: October 14, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »

Well, like the article mentions, 8 other states also have (chemical) castration on their criminal books. California and Texas among them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »

A reminder that the state-level American government is still up and running, this time in Alabama: A bill to castrate molesters over the age of 21, with the convicted footing 100% of the bill.
There is no way that would ever make it into law, surly. It just wouldn't happen. It looks like a group of uninformed parents got together and made some sort of partition and made their local rep present it.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »

For things like this, I have a quick litmus test for whether I feel it goes too far or not.

"How would you feel if the accused turned out to be innocent, and you had carried out this punishment already?"

It's what prevents me from approving of the death penalty, or of this. In fact, it has lead me towards wanting rehabilitation over punishment, and that locking someone away is an evil. Sometimes a necessary evil, not everyone can be rehabilitated, but something being necessary does not prevent it from also being evil. Necessity does not make something good, it makes something necessary.

But what about the molesters who kept themselves from doing even more molestation in the interests of not impregnating their victims? :P Joking aside, my actual concern with the bill is that
  • Like Descan said, it's not something I'm comfortable actually doing, especially if "oops, you're actually innocent. Well, um... good luck!" is what happens.
  • This has the unfortunate side effect of completely ignoring the possibility of a female perpetrator of such crimes, which is not a good thing.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: October 14, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »

Well, like the article mentions, 8 other states also have (chemical) castration on their criminal books. California and Texas among them.
I think it would probably be easier to make a case for surgical castration being cruel and unusual compared to chemical castration.
There is no way that would ever make it into law, surly. It just wouldn't happen. It looks like a group of uninformed parents got together and made some sort of partition and made their local rep present it.
Oh no, it will almost certainly become law. There's few crimes that get people more riled up, and few criminals less sympathetic.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:32 pm »

This has the unfortunate side effect of completely ignoring the possibility of a female perpetrator of such crimes, which is not a good thing.
You can chemically castrate women, so gender bias isn't really an issue here. The general immorality of it for anybody is.

Oh no, it will almost certainly become law. There's few crimes that get people more riled up, and few criminals less sympathetic.
Even so, somewhere out there there has to be a lawyer sitting, looking over this shit and thinking "Nope, not even legit. Don't care, can't pass it! Cry me a river because law is law."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »

There isn't anything preventing them from passing it. A constitutional challenge can only come after it is law.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:00 pm »

Judging from Michael Jackson's voice, I figured this was already in place in California.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:40 pm »

This has the unfortunate side effect of completely ignoring the possibility of a female perpetrator of such crimes, which is not a good thing.
You can chemically castrate women, so gender bias isn't really an issue here. The general immorality of it for anybody is.

Yeah, I did a quick check to make sure before posting. Although it is possible, I would argue that the introducers of the bill are almost certainly thinking about men, and are almost certainly concerned about the perpetrator inflicting unwanted pregnancy, rather than concerned the victims being forced to inflict said pregnancy.

Of course, we need to actually read the bill to see what their definition of castration is.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 14, 2013, 10:58:45 pm »

Yeah, and the Three-Fifths Compromise is still in effect. American Laws have no expiration date, and they can remain on the books long after they either become irrelevant or cease to be enforced. For Example, while Federal Law has one set of rules regarding Marijuana, they have decided not to enforce them in states where recreational use is legal, effectively annulling it for those areas.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: DUO Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3299 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:33 pm »

Dawn of
The Second Day
-48 Hours Remain-
Accompanying music. (didn't post first day music because it didn't come to mind, so here it is for comparison.)

Seems like the deal in the Senate is still forming. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, and the Three-Fifths Compromise is still in effect. American Laws have no expiration date, and they can remain on the books long after they either become irrelevant or cease to be enforced. For Example, while Federal Law has one set of rules regarding Marijuana, they have decided not to enforce them in states where recreational use is legal, effectively annulling it for those areas.

How about a clean-up amendment to get rid of that part of the Constitution, just for clarity's sake? :)

EDIT: I think in general it's an alien concept to many that a governing body can decide to just not pay attention to some of its rules, and if no-one particularly cares about that rule then it stops mattering.

And while my mind's on it, a case for American Exceptionalism℠: only America can turn a fraction into a political insult.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:09:16 pm by lue »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 667